Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

I did decidedly average which I'm quite pleased with considering I forgot to change anything before the games actually started.

It'll all be downhill from here once I start putting some effort in :)

You 'unlock' achievements if your players gets hundreds or things like that.

Fairly poor from England last night. They could have helped themselves a bit if Woakes had taken the fairly straightforward catch when Finch was on 0 but the real problems look to be in their death bowling and batting. Death bowling has been a problem for a while but it's becoming more of an issue with the number of big hitters sides have lower down the order now. With the batting there's just too many players in poor form.

I don't think the first day of the tournament has done anything to disprove the theory that Australia and NZ are among the main favourites. Both games were fairly predictable in how they turned out, Taylor's near-hundred was good for England (I thought he was very undervalued in the Cricinfo league given his recent form) but other than that it was a poor effort and although they should get out of the group stages it's hard to see them going much further. Sri Lanka didn't look quite as outclassed but must be concerned about the effectiveness of Malinga given how important he is to their bowling attack.

Taylor being denied a century because the umpires apparently don't understand the rules of the game was annoying.

I have little sympathy for Taylor. Anyone in his position who lets Finn run a single off the last ball of an over can't complain when he runs out of partners. Sure, the last wicket was a farce but mistakes happen.

Was at the match and it was a lot of fun. Do think they need to replay more of the balls - if you're side on to the wicket you just can't see line as well and it would be nice to see where they actually went. And woke up today to find out that Foxtel has the non-Australian matches. Who the hell allowed that to happen? We have the WC here and you have to go out to watch the matches? Seems pretty unAustralian.

I have little sympathy for Taylor. Anyone in his position who lets Finn run a single off the last ball of an over can't complain when he runs out of partners. Sure, the last wicket was a farce but mistakes happen.

They were theoretically chasing 342, I'm not sure farming the strike in an effort to reach a personal milestone would have reflected too well on him.

I think Taylor can feel pretty justifiably aggrieved. Yes mistakes happen, but this wasn't an error of judgement, it was the umpires not knowing the rules. That's a bit less acceptable, especially when Taylor and, it looked like a few of the Australian players, did know it was a dead ball. It doesn't look good from professional umpires.

They were theoretically chasing 342, I'm not sure farming the strike in an effort to reach a personal milestone would have reflected too well on him.

I think Taylor can feel pretty justifiably aggrieved. Yes mistakes happen, but this wasn't an error of judgement, it was the umpires not knowing the rules. That's a bit less acceptable, especially when Taylor and, it looked like a few of the Australian players, did know it was a dead ball. It doesn't look good from professional umpires.

They were 8 down and still needed 130 runs to win. There was no chance of a win. And I would contest him farming the strike would have meant a smaller loss than they had. Finn clearly couldn't handle Johnson and Starc, putting him on strike just cost them a wicket for one run.

Archived