Peoples of the 'World'

Morning Star

This is probably an obvious question, but since it has yet to be clearly discussed in the other topics, will there be some section or another devoted specifically to the description of each region's people (dress, custom, 'character' etc.)? Or, will it be woven into the geographical descriptions of places? It might be neat to have an 'example' (if not uniformally presented) of a Dothraki, Braavosi, Summer-Islander etc. and would keep to the Westeros Maseter style (pseudo anthropological/'exotic, foreign' peoples).

We've had some thoughts along those lines. Always liked how Mark Smylie's Artesia annuals did this, with the bottom eigth or so of the page devoted to small depictions of peoples from various cultures, occupations, and social strata.

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing is peoples that we haven't necessarily seen yet. I don't know what GRRM is planning do in canon, i.e., if he's going to send a character to Asshai or the Basilisk Isles, but it'd be nice to have a general idea to know what goes on in those places. I mean, he didn't give much information on Ibben but it was sufficient for me to get an idea of what life is like there. I just found it odd that Basilisk Isles are on the map but have no mention anywhere, (except maybe there was a prince who wanted to buy Unsullied to take it back?) and Yi Ti, for example, is mentioned sometimes but I always wonder what happens there, and how it differs from, say, Qarth. I don't relaly care THAT much and I'd rahter have more Westeros nuggets, but I'm just saying, if they're mentioned or on the map, we should get some info about them lol

I'd love that. I love envisioning how people dressed and how they lived. It makes everything more real for me. And, like a dork, I sometimes try to make bits of their outfits (usually conning my mom into helping me).

How cool would it be, for Halloween, to have a world wide ASOIAF group. :P

• 1 month later...

I think along with the descriptions of the people, dress, characteristics, etc. possibly adding a drawing of the country's flag or other insginia would be great. I'm not sure if a brief history (maybe a paragraph or two) may be a bit much, but it would be a nice additition. :P

Archived