Red Wedding 2.0: Riverrun Edition

Fire Eater

Can someone explain why the Warden of the West is getting wed at Riverrun. While I understand LSH and BWB and Riverlords extracting their pound of flesh from the Frey's at Riverrun, but I don't see Daven Lannister wedding there. I mean he's a cousin of Gennas or nephew not a son.

Not to mention didn't GRRM say we get a POV from Casterly Rock? A more likely local for the Warden of the West to wed.

Edmure Tully seemed very pleased with himself going into captivity. Too please by Jamie's estimation. Why? Unless that's where he wants to be.

?

Preston said he had his best archers on ET and they don't come much better than Arguy. Wouldn't surprise me if the BWB infiltrated the Western ranks and were headed west with their army. Almost like Puzo's silent night when a Michael Corelone move. All the Trident and Northern enemies in one surgical strike

Not sure how the custom goes but we see weddings often taking place at the bride's home, and Daven is wedding a Frey. No-one would attend a Frey wedding at the Twins ever again, and Riverrun is a symbol of their upstart status, so it is not an illogical choice.

Not sure how the custom goes but we see weddings often taking place at the bride's home, and Daven is wedding a Frey. No-one would attend a Frey wedding at the Twins ever again, and Riverrun is a symbol of their upstart status, so it is not an illogical choice.

What Frey is he marrying anyway?

Why did Edmure marry Roslin at the Twins?

Daven already said that he will not make foolish things like Robb did (completely trusting the Freys etc.). He will not want to have his wedding at the Twins, so the next best thing is to make the wedding at Riverrun where he has an aunt in charge of everything.

What Frey is he marrying anyway?

Beats me, likely some random Frey who at least isn't a "stoat" as he would call her.

Why did Edmure marry Roslin at the Twins?

Daven already said that he will not make foolish things like Robb did (completely trusting the Freys etc.). He will not want to have his wedding at the Twins, so the next best thing is to make the wedding at Riverrun where he has an aunt in charge of everything.

Good point

Why not Casterly Rock were he can oversee all the arrangements? Its a viable option. He's the Warden of the West.

It would appeal to Walder whom has felt his family has Ben looked down on, having the Wedding at RR just points out his upstart status.

Because it is midway between the Twins and CR, and Lord Walder wouldn't want to travel too far. His relative Genna runs Riverrun as Mithras pointed out.

Yeah, the whole LS plot line already leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The whole zombie resurrection bit aside, it pretty much ruined an otherwise good character and turned an interesting group in the BwB into a group that not much different than the bad guys. I'm personally rooting for Jaime and Brienne to kill her somehow in the next book, but things seldom work out that neatly. I'd settle for any of her kids doing a "you're not my mother" moment.

I'm with you on the LS storyline. I hate it. I think perhaps Arya will kill her mother, or, her unmother as it were. She would rather her be truly dead than what she has become. It may be a scene where LS embraces her daughter and Arya takes that moment to kill her. Not because she doesn't love her mother, but because she truly does.

Taking the food, kicking the smallfolk out and leaving them to starve for a cause that was already lost.

The smallfolk didn't live in Riverrun, but in their homes on the fief. Any smallfolk remaining in Riverrun, mostly servants, would be extra mouths to feed when every fighter needs as much as food as he can get. Purely in military strategy, the Blackfish actions were sound in keeping enough stores to last the siege for two years while leaving none for the besiegers, and it does work with Daven having problems with food and fodder supply, and winter coming to further harry the besiegers. Daven would have foraged the food from them anyway had the BF not picked the country clean. It is one of those grey areas.

A cause that was already lost? He didn't know about Sybell's scheming, and had good reason to believe the Westerlings would be killed. He also had no reason to trust the besiegers, even Genna admits as much. Also, their position has shown to be not as tenable as previously with thought with Stannis, Euron and Aegon gaining strength.

Given that Old Walder is advanced in years, and he's spread his seed around a lot, hasn't he sown another seed? Surely one of the other Freys will be thinking they ought to have been handed Riverrun. Who gets control of The Twins? Aren't The Freys known for arriving late to any 'dance'? Would they be late for a 'dance' within their own ranks? History records where family fought family before. Why not within The Freys?

Just think how comical this looks to everyone else. All they have to do is wait for The Freys to do whatever they were planning without lifting a finger.

GRRM has mentioned something about Nymeria's pack. Why have it pop up, in Arya's wolf-dreams, and not have them see some big action sometime? Nymeria would enjoy a feast of Freys to avenge Grey Wind, her brother.

Somehow, I feel Roose is not going to stay inside Winterfell. Ramsey is obviously a madman on a mission, and where would he stop? Perhaps, Roose has to escape his own bastard's power play.

What else we know, from Beric, is that the gift of life comes at a price. That clearly tells us that LS can't exist forever. She appears to have lost Catelyn's link to her children (part of the price paid), and all she lives for is vengeance (regarding RW). Maybe, with Roose, being handed all that was Ned's (and should've been Robb's), presents a better target than Old Walder and, maybe, that's to be her finale performance.

It makes no sense for Sansa to become aware of who LS really is. Her mother was killed. That's all she knows. Arya's knows the same. How much do Bran and Rickon really know? More than likely they'll be the same as their sisters. LS is very definitely not their mother now. In any case, they have other parts to play.

Does Walder Frey have to be in attendance, if anything I would think his prescene would make others wary and extra cautious.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but we are suppose to be getting a POV at Casterly Rock, Jamie notes Edmure is way to please with himself and them thinks for a man about to spend the rest of his life in captivity.

Then there is Arguy whom maybe one of the archers on ET. If he's infiltrated the western ranks whose to say displace and banded river,north and BWB have not as well?

Thats irrelevant. It was the second smartest thing to do, but its also really dickish. Ser Brynden is no true knight.

So he should have invited more people inside Riverrun to take shelter, resulting in further scarcity of food supply,which was low to begin with, resulting in his soldiers starving?

Didn't they also swear oaths not to raise arms against either Emmon or the Lannisters? Some may well break their vows, but others would want to honor them and some would just want to get on with their lives. Fighting for fightings sake is not something most normal people would do.

Most normal people also don't break their oath to their King and slaughter a load of happy individuals at a wedding either...but that happened...I bet it could happen again XD

So he should have invited more people inside Riverrun to take shelter, resulting in further scarcity of food supply,which was low to begin with, resulting in his soldiers starving?

He should have surrendered. Wharever way you slice it, he would have been directly responsible for their deaths.

Archived