The Mountain vs The Smiling Knight

Sir Bronn

1- The sword broke during the first exchange, so is not like Dayne was trying for hours. Second sword did'nt broke, so he basically finished it at the second exchange

2- no indication of that

3- Again, as above. Not a single indication of that. Only other exchange where we "see" the SK is with 16 years old, no magic sword Jaime. SK is'nt able to do anything to him and get even held off

4- Yes, Arthur have the superior weapon, and it help him to have a superior style too. GRRM pretty much confirm it saying that if was'nt for Dawn, Barristan (one of all time best) will be more or less equal to Dayne. But have the superior weapon don't exclude being the superior fighter too.

5- Oberyn actually IS in all current characters top10s of peoples that know what they talk about, and not only that, as kind of fighter, style and equipment he was the perfect match-up to fight The Mountain

1. Sword had notches from the prolonged fight. It did not break.

2. That a highway thug would kill a kingsguard sent to kill or capture him? Come on...

3. "held off" until Dayne showed up. Jaime is also one of the top 5, and Dayne himself could'nt kill the SK for hours. A brief exchange only tells us what we already know - Jaime is good. It's sort of why people always say "in thier prime" on Robert, Barristan, Jaime, etc.

4. I am not saying that Dayne is not as skilled as we think. I am saying that the SK is as skilled, and likely stronger for lasting that long. He is an equal to Barristan and Dayne in skill and with same swords, but his strength would likely mean a victory aginst either one of them.

5. Top 10 is not top, like Dayne is hyped out to be. And we did not actually see anything too special from Oberyne.

"Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain’s strength was like nothing human."

There is from a chapter in a storm of swords when Jamie is thinking about all of the fighters who are stronger then him, he mentions Arthur Dayne who killed the Smiling Knight and Gregor Clegane, but he does not mention the smiling knight at all.To my mind it seems like Jamie would probably have mentioned the Smiling Knight if he was particularly strong given that he had fought him in the past.

So I would say it probably comes down to the whether or not the smiling knight was skillful enough to win using a tactic like Obyron's, rather than just standing there and trading blows and I'm not entirely sure how well a tactic like that would work against the mountain with a sword as opposed to a spear.

"Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain’s strength was like nothing human."

There is from a chapter in a storm of swords when Jamie is thinking about all of the fighters who are stronger then him, he mentions Arthur Dayne who killed the Smiling Knight and Gregor Clegane, but he does not mention the smiling knight at all.To my mind it seems like Jamie would probably have mentioned the Smiling Knight if he was particularly strong given that he had fought him in the past.

So I would say it probably comes down to the whether or not the smiling knight was skillful enough to win using a tactic like Obyron's, rather than just standing there and trading blows and I'm not entirely sure how well a tactic like that would work against the mountain with a sword as opposed to a spear.

you could try to use the mountain own momentum against him, to impale him on your sword.

it doable if your skilled enough, as we saw the mountain even all his amour was not invincible.

Archived