Internal Promotion - Salary Negotiation?

WrathOfTinyKittens

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I am going to be presented an offer either this afternoon or tomorrow for a double promotion (by which I mean I am moving from level 2 to level 4 in company hierarchy).

For reference, I currently am full-time hourly, earning a bit under $40k plus 4% target bonus. The new job grade is salaried, not sure of its bottom level, but it would have an 8-10% target bonus. Friends of mine who have been promoted to this level from level 3 were offered anywhere from $48k to $51k.

Given that I am not coming from level 3, I expect to be low-balled. So my question is, how much salary negotiation is expected/tolerated in an internal promotion compared to an outside hire? I want to push for $50, but would settle for $47 or so. Is this taboo?

Just slam your fist on the table. That demonstrates strength, which will give you respect. Then say "I want all teh money!" That demonstrates your ambition and honesty. Finally, no smiling. If you have to do something equivalent, just sort of frown your lips down and show some teeth. Big teeth make for big promotions.

This advice is 100% reliable.

Three things to keep in mind.

1) The salary is $48k-$51k depending

2) They want you to take the job.

3) Would they want the best candidate or the cheapest candidate? The answer is almost always the best.

So if you are the best candidate, and the range is $48-$51, why shouldnt you expect $51k?

i can only offer poor advice as i have always been one who has followed my passion for what i do and let where i want to work and the position i want override salary.

all of that said....

if it is job you want and you think it will develop as a professional and the salary is better than you are currently getting i say go for it!

but, i would not listen to me. i work 60-70 hours a week at a rate of around 75% that of others in my position because i love what i do.

Archived