The worst thing you've ever read.

peterbound

I can understand that some people dislike King. I don't care, I like most of his works.

I can understand why some would dislike Dune. Still one of my favourite SF-series.

What I can't understand is how anyone can dislike Murakami.

In defense of Murakami...he is probably the only salvageable writer I mentioned in the above post, if only for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. But then we have offences that are unforgivable, such as Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, and I'm still 'colored' red with rage from reading that one!

In re dune...there are so many better books. I don't give a damn about the colonial commentaries and high-concepts. It means naught if the narrative is stunted by pretentious pomposity, which it is. there's much finer post-colonial/sci-fi/fantasy lit out there imo.

The Killer Snark - Yeah, that was pretty clear that Paul was using the Fremen for his own interest instad of being their mesiah, not matter how they repeated that word I never had seen Paul as the saviour of Dune and the Fremen. The whole thing was a power struggle for the control of the spice and revenge against the Harkonnen and the Emperor.

Never the less, contrary to the rest of the fandom, I actually like more Irulan than Chani.

In re dune...there are so many better books. I don't give a damn about the colonial commentaries and high-concepts. It means naught if the narrative is stunted by pretentious pomposity, which it is. there's much finer post-colonial/sci-fi/fantasy lit out there imo.

Name one that predates Dune and i might agree with you.

That book will always the top of the heap.

Also 'pretentious pomposity'? You're trying too hard to sound like you know what are talking about.

If anything it is astonishingly coherent in spite of its huge ambitiousness. There's no other writers who could have combined ecological theory, Taoism, libertarian social theory, religious and colonial commentary and cosmos building so effectively while still retaining a grasp of characterisation and narrative and a very subtle show-don't-tell but poetically coherent writing style. All decent world building fiction since including ASOIAF has paid at least a minor debt to Dune.

Archived