Possible Valyrian name meanings

graham15

Just something a few people may be interested in.

Aegon

- Aegon is possibly derived from the High Valyrian aegion which means ‘iron’.

Visenya/Viserys

- Possibly derived from the High Valyrian vezenka which means ‘solar’. The –ka is possibly changed to –ya when using names. Visenya could mean the sun instead of solar or sunny.

Rhaenys/Rhaena

- ?

Jaehaerys/Jaehaera

- Possibly derived from the High Velaryon jaes meaning ‘god/goddess’ and hae meaning ‘like/as’. –rys is possible a Valyrian name ending. Therefore Jaehaerys means ‘Like god’ and Jaehaera means ‘Like goddess’.

Aenys

- Possibly in honour of his mother Rhaenys.

Maegor

- Maegor is possibly derived from the High Valyrian mele which means ‘red’.

Vaella/Vaemond/Vaegon

- Possibly derived from High Valyrian vaedar and vaedagon which means song and to sing respectively.

Baelor/Baelon

- Baelor/Baelon is possibly derived from the High Valyrian baes which means summit or bane warm.

Gaemon

- Gaemon is possibly derived from the High Valyrian gaoman which means ‘deed’.

Laena/Laenor

- Laena/Laenor is possibly derived from the High Valyrian laes which means eye.

Elaena

- Elaena is possibly derived from eleni which means ‘music’.

Daeron

- Daeron is possibly derived from the High Valyrian daez which means ‘free’. So Daeron means ‘freedom’.

Valarr

- Valarr is possibly derived from the High Valyrian vala which means ‘man’.

Maegi means wise. So Maegor could mean wise or could even mean magical.

I dislike show Valyrian as I don't think takes into account the way GRRM set up the language enough.

GRRM invents the work dracarys which is simple, draca=dragon rys=fire. Then the show expert comes along and says they don't like it because draca is too close to the latin word for dragon and decides that there should be a whole other word for non-dragon fire in valyrian. This is a problem because-

a. "rys" is quite obviously used for fire in other Valyrian words and names in the book

b. Valyrian should be related to other languages on planetos, what the show has are 3 languages which bear no relationship to each-other which is not true of the languages in the book where the languages all have shared elements.

Even though GRRM says he now refers to show Valyrian when writing the books I would not reference that if I was looking at names which existed before the show.

Maegi means wise. So Maegor could mean wise or could even mean magical.

I dislike show Valyrian as I don't think takes into account the way GRRM set up the language enough.

GRRM invents the work dracarys which is simple, draca=dragon rys=fire. Then the show expert comes along and says they don't like it because draca is too close to the latin word for dragon and decides that there should be a whole other word for non-dragon fire in valyrian. This is a problem because-

a. "rys" is quite obviously used for fire in other Valyrian words and names in the book

b. Valyrian should be related to other languages on planetos, what the show has are 3 languages which bear no relationship to each-other which is not true of the languages in the book where the languages all have shared elements.

Even though GRRM says he now refers to show Valyrian when writing the books I would not reference that if I was looking at names which existed before the show.

Why do you think that Valyrian should be connected to the other languages? They have always been distant from the others of Essos and I am quite sure that Astapori Valyrian is derived from High Valyrian. How is -rys used for fire? -rys could just be a name suffix like the Italian -a or -o. GRRM has also stated that he has no interest in creating more for the languages he named. If he uses show Valyrian now than wouldn't the creator of it have incorporated all his original ideas? e.g the names, "valarr dohaeris" etc. (I hope this post doesn't sound rude I was just interested in why you thought these things. Sorry if it comes off that way).

When you say High Valyrion surely you are referring to the made up HBO language which has no connection to actual meanings in the books?

I am referring to the how's High Valyrian. GRRM has stated that he is using show Valyrian and also getting its creator for more words to use in the book. So I think that it might have some connection although I suppose that these possible name meanings are not strictly canon yet.

We also see that Rhae begining in names like Rhaegar and Rhaella. Could Rhaegar be the masculine form of Rhaenys or Rhaella?

Yes I think I just forgot to add them.

I just think too little is known.

Maybe rhae (as in Rhaegar) is made up of two parts, rh+ae, or perhaps rhae doesn't break down any further. Maybe nys (as in Rhaenys) is made up of two parts, n+ys or ny+s, or perhaps nys doesn't break down any further.

And I am not sure he really thought about of laid down what all the elements in these names mean.

Why do you think that Valyrian should be connected to the other languages? They have always been distant from the others of Essos and I am quite sure that Astapori Valyrian is derived from High Valyrian. How is -rys used for fire? -rys could just be a name suffix like the Italian -a or -o. GRRM has also stated that he has no interest in creating more for the languages he named. If he uses show Valyrian now than wouldn't the creator of it have incorporated all his original ideas? e.g the names, "valarr dohaeris" etc. (I hope this post doesn't sound rude I was just interested in why you thought these things. Sorry if it comes off that way).

Valyrian should be connected to other languages because

1) it should share a root with other languages

2) Language mostly travels via trade and conquest both of which Valyria did a lot of even if they were distant.

I explained in my post how Dracarys breaks down into dragon fire in GRRM's original intention. If you are looking for valyrian name suffix then I would look at -or, -on, -a, -ar not rys. As I said above Maegor is likely to be the male name version of Maegi which might be the gender neutral version.

The guy who made the show languages tried to incorporate all the words and phrases that were in the books but because he was so concerned about creating a "fantasy" language he threw out some of the more logical/simple translations and grammar in favour of doing something more complex. I don't think he has ever said he took names into account which might be why names don't match well with anything (execpt words such as val which were also used in phrases). While GRRM's valyrian is fun to try to code break, is often quite poetic (because is references english and latin words without being too obvious) and acts in a similar way to how latin was in the medieval world the show valyrian is just purposely being "other", wallowing in orientalism and random stuff from the inventor's life when he could have taken a lot more from the books.

Hi,

To the OP, I don't think Valyrian is intended as highly agglutinative language so it probably doesn't work like that. Rys is probably just a common cluster in Valyrian much like 'tio' in Latin, which gives you in English nation, subluxation, attraction. Doesn't mean their meaning is related.

@jet199

This is just a matter of personal opinion as the High Valyrian as developed by the show is based on judgement calls which ultimately come down to the artistic preference of the person conlanging (and based on in the 8 or 7 Valyrian words coined by GRRM, you really can't say anything about its structure). I personally like it, but I'm wondering why you think Valyrian should share a common root with the other Essosian languages ? If anything a language isolate seems to fit better with Valyrian, rather than being related to Dothraki, Ghiscari and whatever the Rhoynar spoke...

Archived