Disillusioned with Targaryens (Rhaenys as an adulteress)

Forever May

I'm sure it was a jealous chic who started the rumor about her being a ho, because of jealousy! She prob did like company but that means nothing. Also when she took up for the adulteress, it was because he killed the wife, she didn't say not to hit her. She said not to kill her.Besides Visenya, Rheanys, and Aegon appeared to have a tight relationship all 3. Maybe he did have a fav, I don't think it mattered. About Dany no matter how much Targ blood she got, she looks it 100% she must have a lot because shes got 1 thing the rest didn't, she's fire proof. I think it's really much to do about nothing. Also the POV is biased he totally re-wrote history when it came to KL when Jamie killed his king.

I did the same. I acknowledged multiple times the rumors might be false. But I wanted to make a discussion based on if they were true.

And can you do me a favor? Give me an example (hypothetical or a reference) where adultery is acceptable. And I'd rather see one where the spouse does not approve. That will be hard though because such an example does not exist. Don't go and say, "Well there is a gay man and gay woman married," because farce relationships obviously don't count.

You know I know one woman who cheated on her boyfriend. They had been in a relationship for nearly a decade. The woman felt the relationship was going no where. The romance was dying, her boyfriend had not proposed to marry her, it was just too casual for her, she says. And so one night another guy hits on her and she cheats on her boyfriend. No surprises, the boyfriend was furious when he found out. He tore up their apartment and smashed the computer. Afterwards, this woman comes to me and I am unimpressed with her excuses, she tells me though, "Yeah but, he didn't have to break my computer." I reply, "You broke his heart and you can't understand why he broke your computer?" Obviously, the woman was damn shallow. It was despicable. She had a perfectly good reason, I mean her relationship was indeed dying. But she needed to break it off with her boyfriend first. The responsibility for his broken heart and her broken computer now is all her fault.

I don't see how adultery is ever acceptable or excusable. The adulterer needs to divorce first, end the relationship. Or in a case such as Westeros where divorce is difficult, they should just run away if they're so desperate. I'd like to hear a story from you about this.

Traits such as eye color and hair color are not passed on over many generations if you have diverse breeding customs. Take for example a black person going to live in Scandinavia. What will remain of their genetics after several generations of breeding with the locals? Absolutely nothing, the black person will have fair complected blue eyed descendants. The reason Dany still looks Targaryen is because there have been instances of marrying other blonde haired purple eyed Valyrians every few generations. Otherwise, she might well have brown hair by now or such. Her traits are not because Aegon had them, it is because her immediate ancestors had them. If there is such a thing as a dragon riding gene, it is almost certainly lost by now, overwhelmed by more typical horse riding genes! I'm not entirely convinced someone has to have special blood to ride a dragon anyway. People like Nettles suggest otherwise. The incest was probably just to concentrate wealth and power in a single family.

I didn't go look at your profile, so had not realised how young you are, I did in fact think the same as you at your age. Maybe once you are older and married, have had children and lived a bit you might end up thinking more like me. :dunno:

Ok, I'll humour you. Yes sometimes Gay people get married. I know a couple in Texas, he is a walking cliché, big tall built like a brick shit house, Harley Davison riding "mans man" he was in total denial about his sexuality until his mid 40's. he and his wife (my online friend) have two daughters, and she has an older son and daughter from a previous marriage. He had an affair with a man, after trying to deny his sexuality his whole life. She found out she was devastated but they are still married, he is afraid of the impact of his coming out on his elderly parents, she wants a stable home for her children.

Your story about this woman, saddens me massively. You say it was her fault he smashed up the flat and her PC. Wow! and if he had beaten her? killed her? would that have in your view also been her fault? has a man not got a mind of his own, in which he makes his own choices as to how to react? or do you believe a man is unable to control his actions? if so what if he cheated? would that have been not his fault because he couldn't help himself? would it be the person he cheated withs fault assuming it was a woman? would she be responsible, because men are not?

Personally if a guy smashed up the home and deliberately destroyed her belongings I'd be asking myself about their relationship. It would seem to me very possible that it was in fact deeply un healthy and perhaps she could not simply leave him, relationships are extremely complicated, and whilst ideally yes, one leaves before the act if you fall in love with another person, it is not always possible.

I have a friends who cheated in order to get away from a violent partner, he viewed her as his property, and did a lot to isolate her and control her, he of course became abusive over the years and she tried to leave many times. One day she decided she could get away from him, only by taking up with a man she had met, once he discovered the affair he finally let her go. Not out of decency but because he saw her as tainted now, and said he would not put his dick in a woman who'd opened her legs for anyone else. he beat the shit out of her and threw all her things out the window. But she said it was worth it because she was finally free!

And what about the countless people in real life arranged marriages. i know a woman who lives in Dubai who is in an arranged marriage, her husband is very decent to her, he earns great money she lives a nice life, their daughter goes to a great school. But her heart aches constantly for real love. he is cold emotionally, whilst he provides materially for her he has never fallen in love with her, nor her him. And yes she has affairs. I won't condemn her, she has a right to happiness for her soul. or ought she just sit in her gilded cage, never being touched in a loving manor (they have not had sex since her DD was conceived, and even before then it was a once a month functionary effort to conceive only) She is beautiful, intelligent, and sensual she deserves to feel real desire she was married to him at 16 yrs old and is now in her late 40's. would you really say she is not entitled to love?

Hopefully as you mature you will come to realise that life is not black and white, and that whilst adultery does hurt people it is not always so simple to condemn the adulterer. I also know people in polygamous relationships, open relationships, etc. love and sex are just not as binary as history & culture paints it.

re eye colour, probably not the best example of what I was trying to say. I was simply trying to point out that genes are passed on and that the gene can still be passed on no matter if the parents have manifested it. ie both mum and dad have brown eyes, but clearly do carry the blue eye gene, and so were able to pass it to their son. IF that brown eye gene were say the dr gene it would mean mum and dad and three siblings can ride but not the fourth, which we see in world as the children who's eggs fail to hatch. I think. As to your hypothetical black person moving to Scandinavia, yes over time the off spring would become more and more white looking assuming they only mated with white people, but even many generations later a child could be born black. Which does indeed happen and vice versa. My own theory on dr is that it is indeed a gene, I think Nettles really was blood of the dragon. I don't think her lack of Valyrian looks preclude her from being a dragon seed at all. The fact she fed sheep to her dragon in order to get near enough to mount it was very clever, but not imo proof she didn't have the dr gene. As we know even "bonafide" Targaryens such as Aemond shat themselves when approaching a Dragon they wished to mount.

Tyranny, insanity, succession wars, rebellions, and bloody conquests - and what finally turns you off to the Targaryens is loose women and the prospect that the dynasty might not be the product of incest?

Yup, the amazing stupidity going on here, is baffling.

... Your disillusioned from the possibility of Rhaenys banging randoms sometimes? Not from their actions in the Dance though? If anything that disillusioned me more then anything, Aegon lVs actions.

The OP touted Aenys being sickly as a possibility of being a bastard, which is bullshit, plenty of Targ babies were sickly at birth and died in infancy. We don't know if perhaps Rhaenys had a few stillborns by Aegon before Aenys, which might explain why she didn't want to get pregnant.

There's just so much wrong with calling out the World book for this snippet, its an amazing book, naysayers are just disappointed their favorites didn't get much page space.

On the topic of Aenys being a weakling, I always thought he simply took more after his mom than his dad. I mean the elements of a strong woman might not go over so well when put into a young man. Plus Aenys didn't have somebody like Aegon I around.

It's kind of funny that Aenys' personality was used as evidence that he wasn't Aegon's son, but nobody did that with Maegor, who was also nothing like Aegon.

On the topic of Aenys being a weakling, I always thought he simply took more after his mom than his dad. I mean the elements of a strong woman might not go over so well when put into a young man. Plus Aenys didn't have somebody like Aegon I around.

Come again?

I didn't go look at your profile, so had not realised how young you are, I did in fact think the same as you at your age. Maybe once you are older and married, have had children and lived a bit you might end up thinking more like me. :dunno:

I doubt it.

Here's another story a little closer to home. My father and my mother were living together until recently. One day, my dad said we were moving out, that he couldn't live with mother anymore, but it would take a while. I was surprised. It was hard to get the story out. They never fought, they plainly care about each other, it might've been a normal marriage. Until he explains they haven't had sex in years, there was no romance and he wasn't prepared to live a life of celibacy.

The problem was the house we lived in and the land was all my mother's. So we had to wait a couple of years whilst he scraped up his own money, bought his own land, built his own house, then we moved out. It is not far from mama's place, by the way. But during all those last few years, he had to explain so I would understand, he never had sex. Now he has a new girlfriend who is young enough to be my sister, but I don't mind the company.

That never fully explained why we had to go to all the trouble of leaving however, just so he could sleep with someone else. Well he told me he could not sleep with anyone else whilst he was at mother's, regardless their relationship was already over. This was because people who live around us would talk, especially since we are white people living in SE Asia they love to talk about us. And he said it would dishonor mother and people might tease me too and he didn't want people talking rumors about him either.

In other words, he was just being responsible and putting everyone else important to him first. Had he taken another lover, it wouldn't even have been adultery because their relationship was over. Still he wouldn't do it for the sake of our family's reputation. Well that is how I think a person should behave and that is what I learnt.

Your story about this woman, saddens me massively. You say it was her fault he smashed up the flat and her PC. Wow! and if he had beaten her? killed her? would that have in your view also been her fault? has a man not got a mind of his own, in which he makes his own choices as to how to react? or do you believe a man is unable to control his actions? if so what if he cheated? would that have been not his fault because he couldn't help himself? would it be the person he cheated withs fault assuming it was a woman? would she be responsible, because men are not?

Personally if a guy smashed up the home and deliberately destroyed her belongings I'd be asking myself about their relationship. It would seem to me very possible that it was in fact deeply un healthy and perhaps she could not simply leave him, relationships are extremely complicated, and whilst ideally yes, one leaves before the act if you fall in love with another person, it is not always possible.

This is the same thing you do with Rhaenys, try and absolve the woman of all blame. Although you do not know the couple as I do, so it is reasonable to speculate. But the guy was a shy fellow, he never once hit the woman. Then she just plainly cheated on him. There is no more to it than that. His reaction was extreme, but it was her fault. That is not to suggest extreme reactions are reasonable reactions, but when you go and break a guy's heart, watch out. Do you not see that a person must take responsibility for their actions? Yes, they do not have to take responsibility if their actions cause extreme reactions, but they do have to acknowledge that the way they behave will have consequences. Do you not believe the consequences of your actions are your responsibility? That you can do whatever you want, however you want, wherevere you want, whenever you want, and not be expected to be accountable for a single shred of it?

I have a friends who cheated in order to get away from a violent partner, he viewed her as his property, and did a lot to isolate her and control her, he of course became abusive over the years and she tried to leave many times. One day she decided she could get away from him, only by taking up with a man she had met, once he discovered the affair he finally let her go. Not out of decency but because he saw her as tainted now, and said he would not put his dick in a woman who'd opened her legs for anyone else. he beat the shit out of her and threw all her things out the window. But she said it was worth it because she was finally free!

She could have cut her nose off or something. I doubt he'd want her then.

Honestly, cheating on a person to elicit a violent reaction? The sorts of people you are talking about are plainly insane. Whilst I sympathize for people in abusive relationships, I fail to believe you are talking about clear headed rational people who can be used as role models. Why didn't she call the police? Why didn't she run away to a friend or family in another province? Why didn't she just cut his throat at night and hide the body? Based on the information you give me, she risked a lot more than a beating. In any case, I am oh so sure I could have come up with a better plan...

Hopefully as you mature you will come to realise that life is not black and white, and that whilst adultery does hurt people it is not always so simple to condemn the adulterer. I also know people in polygamous relationships, open relationships, etc. love and sex are just not as binary as history & culture paints it.

There's nothing wrong with my views, or the way I think. It is not immature, short sighted, or a product of inexperience. My post several pages back sums up the same thing I am seeing now, it is about responsibility. You are stuck in your way of thinking where your own self and your own happiness is all that matters, and the world and everyone in it has to get out of the way to make room for that happiness. Hopefully, one day you will come to realize that the world is a bit more stubborn than all that...

I think he meant for others in Westeros.

I still don't see how that works. Rhaenys was a capable warrior, a capable ruler and a very capable diplomat. Aenys,,. was not. He had his mother's charm, but he made a bunch of terrible political mistakes.

Maegor was also a terrible king (and caused trouble even before becoming king) for different reasons.

Both of them seem like someone took their mother's personalities, drained them of most of their strengths and positive aspects and left them with just one talent their mothers were most known for (Rhaenys' charm, Visenya's decisive and warriorlike nature) that ended up being useless due to their flaws. They're like two caricatures that show the extremes of what a king should not be.

if a man cheat's on a woman who is faithful and kind to him.

he is an utter douche-bag. (asoiaf example{aegon 4 the unworthy a.k.a aegon 4 the asshole to naerys})

if a woman cheat's on a man who is faithful and kind to her.

she's an utter bitch. (asoiaf example{cersei to Jamie})

i find these truths to be self evident.

now if Rhaenys was cheating on aegon she's probably an utter bitch.

1.) as it's inferred from the text that he treated her very well. giving her a lot of power at court and basically making her de-facto ruler in his name. verdict kind

3.) it state's in the text that aegon was very faithful to his sister wives. now aegon was quite the looker. he no doubt could of banged any number of the females he wanted to. but he didn't . verdict faithful.

if Rhaenys could not show aegon the same respect he was showing her as an equal partner, and human being. she's an asshole, and probably an adulteress as well.

not some liberated sexual feminist figure. she's a slut hoeing around.

and now people will throw around stuff like we don't know what her positions on the marriage was or some bull-crap like.

and i argue that from what we can infer from the text, we don't have to know. let me ask you a question.

do you think aegon would rape his younger sister? do you think aegon would force his younger sister into a marriage if she did not want it?

cause it takes a special kind of sick fuck to do something like that.

do you think visenya or orys would have just let this happen? there little doubt in my mind she accepted aegon's marriage proposal.

so for her to just go behind aegon's back and start fucking around, is quite honestly. demeaning to the marriage you sworn to uphold.

demeaning to your partner who as been upholding it. and demeaning to your self cause now your asshole.

I still don't see how that works. Rhaenys was a capable warrior, a capable ruler and a very capable diplomat. Aenys,,. was not. He had his mother's charm, but he made a bunch of terrible political mistakes.

Yeah, but you know how that people were. She liked arts and mummers and that's probably considered something "girly", and the same for Aenys.

if a man cheat's on a woman who is faithful and kind to him.

he is an utter douche-bag. (asoiaf example{aegon 4 the unworthy a.k.a aegon 4 the asshole to naerys})

she's an utter bitch. (asoiaf example{cersei to Jamie})

i find these truths to be self evident.

1.) as it's inferred from the text that he treated her very well. giving her a lot of power at court and basically making her de-facto ruler in his name. verdict kind

3.) it state's in the text that aegon was very faithful to his sister wives. now aegon was quite the looker. he no doubt could of banged any number of the females he wanted to. but he didn't . verdict faithful.

if Rhaenys could not show aegon the same respect he was showing her as an equal partner, and human being. she's an asshole, and probably an adulteress as well.

not some liberated sexual feminist figure. she's a slut hoeing around.

This is what I thought (although you don't have to use the s word, there are more polite words with the same meaning) (such as my famous harlot in the OP) (and you know, now that I pointed out the correct term for Robert was a womanizer half the forum is saying it). Especially the first three paragraphs, it is what I imagined to be obvious. It appears not for everybody.

Stuff I said

There's something else I have to point out for the stuff you said, though I didn't have time earlier.

And Tree Eyes, you should know I am aware that I am obsessive and persistent to a fault. Don't take it personally, I am just trying to get to understand what you're saying better. And whilst I will never change, I do listen and am trying to not be so judgmental. I think that is my flaw, that I am indeed free to be who I want but I need to stop scolding everyone else for not being who I want. Just to let you know, I'm not a total bitch, I'm listening and learning.

But. I don't get it. If you end up in hospital, how can you say you never made a bad decision? How can you insistently blame everyone else for it? I know the person who had an abusive boyfriend, it is not her fault she was getting beaten. But don't you realize that the way her boyfriend reacted was predictable? And if she asked you again about this plan and you knew it would end in violence, would you tell her to do it anyway? It is totally irresponsible and the exact reason I keep saying adultery is a bad idea, but I can't believe how stubborn you remain and don't see it.

It is like when I drive my motorbike, I know I am never going to fall off. It just won't happen. I go slow, I pay attention, I have some good technique at it. So if I am never going to fall off, should I never wear a helmet? Of course I should. Because other people are still going to smash into me like idiots seem to do. And they will be to blame, I don't deny that. But it is my own responsibility to prepare for their recklessness by wearing a helmet, right? I can't just be in hospital with a fractured skull and everyone is standing there saying, "You silly girl, why didn't you wear are helmet!" And then I am like, "But it isn't my fault! It was the other guy who crashed into me! Haven't you ever heard of feminism!"

Just because something is somebody else's fault or problem, it doesn't mean responsible people should not tailor their behavior to meet the world they live in. Or, of course, they might end up in hospital, be it by a motorbike accident or a crazy boyfriend. This is no different than adultery. When you cheat on your spouse, you are inevitably going to trigger an extreme emotional reaction in them. Now I am not suggesting this emotional reaction is acceptable, only predictable. So where it may be their fault for beating that woman up or for smashing that other woman's computer, the adulterer does not escape blame. People have to be responsible and accountable.

For a start, a clever girl will not enter a relationship in which a man views her as his property. Which is why I suggested she was plainly insane. A simple truth, certain types of people tend to attract bad situations. And a woman who is foolish enough to attempt a plan like you suggested fits this profile. It is a poor example. I meant for you to give me an example of a rational person whom I can look up to and emulate, but still is an adulteress. Not that such a person exists, but I was challenging you to show me one.

Another thing is your comments about life experience. The moment I tell people how old I am, the conversation goes down that road. All of a sudden things are about why Forever May doesn't understand this or that, or she'll get it when she's older, or just plain go back to school. Although I think I have a lot more life experience than most adults, given everything I've seen of the world and how my father never cared to spare me the gory details, forcing me to keep up with his own projects. But how wise is your own advice? Really? Am I likely to end up in hospital if I follow it? It seems a possibility.

This is the part a lot of people don't seem to get, which baffles me. Just because something is okay to do in your eyes or you are indeed free to be yourself, it doesn't mean you should do it. We live in a world where there are consequences to our actions. And a world where society judges us, whether we like it or not. The consequences of what we do can destroy us, literally. Something that should not have to be explained to a Song of Ice and Fire reader! This is true both in Westeros and on Earth. By your own example, an adulteress got the absolute hell beaten out of her for what she did! Hell, guys like that can kill women. And behave loose, immorally, likewise does your reputation suffer. Such as Rhaenys. And in this world, men will brag about how hot you were down betwixt your legs and they will all laugh. If you're okay with that sort of shame, fine, up to you. For me, I'd rather avoid the embarrassment. Because despite how foul and cruel such rumors are, there is one sure way to avoid them. Just be responsible. Accountability.

Honestly, I would like to know what you think of these ideas, Tree Eyes. Sorry I myself are so damn harsh, though I am not sure if you got that impression or not. I just appreciate your responses though.

See you.

Yeah, but you know how that people were. She liked arts and mummers and that's probably considered something "girly", and the same for Aenys.

Yup, it's like a dude writing poetry and discussing philosophy, unless you can back that up with being really good at something 'manly', it's gonna be considered girly.

snip

Ok, I'm going to try my best not to come across as patronising. And please understand that that is not what i am intending. Though it will be hard to articulate this in the written form without it possibly seeming to hold that connotation.

You are very, very, very, young. And no matter how much life experience you have it is not a lot of years to be alive. And I understand your thinking you have a ton of life experience. At your age I honestly thought I did too, and tbh compared to most 14 yr olds I did. I left home at 14 so I know I was dealing with real life shit that most kids my age just didn't have to comprehend. By 14 I'd had my left arm broken after being thrown against a wall, I'd had an attempt to poison me with prescription painkillers, an attempt to drive me off a cliff, I'd been strangled, I'd had to bail out of a moving vehicle, I'd seen my heavily pregnant mother thrown down a flight of stairs, I'd lived through my mother going into prem labour and loosing my baby sister, I'd had sex, I'd loved, I'd experienced religious zeaoltism, been exposed to control and shame and the horror of the prospect of loosing my "reputation" "honour" and my fathers all important pride. I'd been to nightclubs and bars, I'd taken most every recreational drug you can name, I'd had to cope with the guy who ran our newsagent shop being a paedophile that ran over and killed my brothers best friend after he was exposed. I'd been to festivals and concerts hitch hiked the length of Britain, I'd had to get my head around my ex boyfriends dad having an incestuous affair with his sister, and going public about it, I'd been bullied every day of my life at school over being a Mormon, being an outsider, because my family moved to a small insular community, because I spoke with "big" words and was far too clever for my own good. I'd shot a rifle, I could dismantle and assemble said rifle, I'd killed animals hunting, could skin and gut most anything you could hand me. I'd basically lived a shit ton more than your average 14 year old........And I still know I knew a shit ton less then than I do now at almost 34, and a mother of three who has kept a strong loving equal relationship going for 17 yrs.

I won't try to lecture you about human kindness, understanding, forgiveness, and learning to be humble. You have your own journey. Good luck on it.

(...)

(...)

Err... You don't see the gap in your logic?

if Rhaenys could not show aegon the same respect he was showing her as an equal partner

You mean, have regular sex with another man, just like he was having regular sex with another woman?

Unless Rhaenys was also getting busy with Visenya, Aegon and Rhaenys were not in an equal marriage.

. now aegon was quite the looker. he no doubt could of banged any number of the females he wanted to. but he didn't . verdict faithful.

Or maybe he just didn't want to, because he wasn't interested?

Why aren't you railing against Aegon's unfaithfulness to Visenya? He was the one who decided to marry Rhaenys out of desire, even though he was already married/going to marry Visenya. Did anyone force him to marry her? Per your explanations, that couldn't have happened.

Per all accounts, Visenya was not having sex with anyone else but Aegon. She did not take another husband. There are also no indications she had other lovers. She was quite a looker, too, all three of them were. No doubt she could have banged any number of males, or females, but didn't, verdict faithful.*

*Or maybe she just wasn't interested in anyone. and Aegon may have been only interested in Rhaenys, but if we're ignoring such a possibility for Aegon, why not for Visenya, too?

So? By your own logic, wasn't Aegon an utter bastard to Visenya?

This is what I thought (although you don't have to use the s word, there are more polite words with the same meaning) (such as my famous harlot in the OP) (and you know, now that I pointed out the correct term for Robert was a womanizer half the forum is saying it). Especially the first three paragraphs, it is what I imagined to be obvious. It appears not for everybody.

Eh? I've seen Robert called a womanizer back when I was lurking on the forum a couple of years ago before even registering.

You are making quite a lot of assumptions, the first and foremost believing the rumours to be true without any evidence whatsoever. There's little that people love more than to gossip about their betters and see them brought down to their level - it is the main reasoning behind the tabloid business. The more scandalous the better. Celebrity X has stretch-marks just like me! Celebrity Y slept with that guy - I would never be such a slut! Of course they are having an affair, there are photos of them leaving the same restaurant! For more in-universe examples you only need to consider all the nonsense being said about Daenarys, people legitimately considering Patchface Shireen's father and people with zero knowledge of genetics who might have never seen Robert, Cersei, the royal children OR Robert's bastards are perfectly ready to believe that Joffrey/Myrcella/Tommen are bastards born of incest with Jaime (I know it's in this case true, but except for Jon Arryn, Stannis and Ned no one has even the benefit of circumstantial evidence to back it up).

Everything we know about Rhaenys suggests she was way too shrewd to have on OPEN affair - she was the most political and diplomatic of the siblings. If she had a lover (or a sperm donor) she would have been discreet. All we know is that she was beautiful, gregarious, outgoing and charismatic and liked to surround herself with like-minded people. Healthy parents have children with a different personality and/or poor health all the time but that doesn't mean the child is not theirs and suggesting otherwise is frankly preposterous. Problems with fertility/children born premature/stillbirths etc are well documented in the Targaryen family tree.

We don't know about the nature of Aegon's, Visenya's and Rhaenys's relationship but it's certainly unconventional at least in the sense that it's not a traditional monogamous husband and wife setup with more or less clearly defined roles. It could have different in other ways either because of the expectations, personalities and dynamics between the persons involved or because of unknown Valyrian/Targaryen customs which obviously differed from ours/Westerosi ones. We don't know what their expectations were and whether that included exclusivity for all parties. It's probable, but it's just an assumption. Whatever the arrangement was, we know all the parties, including Aegon who could have easily protested if he was upset about his wife's alleged 'adultery', seem to have been happy with it.

<snip>

Imagine the same scenario as with your parents, two people who used to love each other growing apart. But imagine that for whatever reason a divorce/separation wasn't a viable option (as it wouldn't have been for Rhaenys/Aegon for example) - would you say that they would then be obliged to stay together forever and never look for another partner? What if your mum found someone else before your dad managed to save up enough to move out - would she be obliged to put her life on hold until that happened? What if they had no children?

Sorry if these are too personal questions; I'm just trying to use your example to imply things aren't always black and white.

Archived