Children of the Forest

Ser Hot Pie

Wasn`t there a wildling who was going to visit the Isle?

I don't remember anything about that? Bael the Bard visited Winterfell allegedly (and Mance too) but that's as far south as I remember any Wildlings getting in stories.

Guest Other-in-law
Wasn`t there a wildling who was going to visit the Isle?

"Jon had to bite his tongue. He didn't want to know about Del's girl or Bodger's mother, the place by the sea that Henk the helm came from, how Grigg yearned to visit the Green Men on the Isle of Faces, or the time a moose had chased Toefinger up a tree. he didn't want to hear about the boil on Big Boil's arse, or how much ale Stone thumbs could drink, or how Quort's little brother had begged him not to go with Jarl."

Some times humanising the spear carriers is inconvenient for the POVs.

We know a little bit more than just that, though not a lot.

-Gods Eye is the lake, with the Isle of Faces in it.

From aGoT, as told by Maester Luwin:

-The peace pact between the First Men and the CotF was signed there.

-As part of this agreement, every tree on the island was made into a face tree, and then green men were founded as an order to maintain the island.

Presumably since Maester Luwin is telling the story, it's a story accepted by at least some maesters, and presumably if the educated believe it, its believed by many commoners as well.

In CoK, Arya overhears people saying that packs of wolves around the Gods Eye have gone insane, etc etc, Nymeria. I've wondered if there's any connection to the Gods Eye/Isle of Faces. Could that have something to do with Arya's long distance connection to Nymeria--the proximity to the Gods Eye?

During Meera's story in SoS, Bran remarks that nobody visits the island. Additionally Old Nan claims the green men ride elks (thus the possible Coldhands/CotF/Beyond the Wall connection)

I wonder if the Iron Men ever attempted to visit the Isle of Faces--Harrentown and Harrenhal are right on or neat the lake.

Ah, yeah. I was talking about the Isle of Faces, I confused it with the God's eye, which is the lake around it. Sorry :P

Anway, is it commonly agreed/believed by maesters that there are still Green men on the Isle? Or is it some kind of myth that only people like the crannogmen or the wildlings believe? Does anyone ever visit the isle of faces? Wouldnt the Whents/Lothstons/whoever occupied Harrenhal at the time be interested in what's on the Isle of Faces, so close to them?

I just think it really strange that no one visits the Isle. As Tyrion remarks in aGoT: ''Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the other one immediatly wants to know what's behind it?''. If I lived in Westeros I'd go and check, I think :P And I'm surprised that we havent heard any mention of other people doing so, except for the quote Other-in-Law gave us.

Guest Other-in-law
I just think it really strange that no one visits the Isle. As Tyrion remarks in aGoT: ''Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the other one immediatly wants to know what's behind it?''. If I lived in Westeros I'd go and check, I think :P

It's been speculated that the ancient magics of the Children of the Forest have a protection that keeps people away. Something along the lines of a massive scale jedi mind trick that has been in place for thousands of years. I think it must be something like that; that it just coincidentally never occurred to Gregor Clegane and Vargo Hoat and Harren the Black and all the other pillagers throughout history to go there is hard to swallow.

And I'm surprised that we havent heard any mention of other people doing so, except for the quote Other-in-Law gave us.

To be sure, Grigg the Goat never did visit the Isle of Faces, he just wanted to...which was probably rather unrealistic considering how much kneeler territory he would have had to travel through to get there.

The only one who did visit the Green Men in living memory was the ever enigmatic Howland Reed, and he stayed with them for quite a while.

Archived