Children of the Forest

Ser Hot Pie

I think they've already mentioned that they are going to do a history of Westeros starting with the Children of the Forest. Presumably that would have some information about them.

I agree with you on the Isle of Faces. It always was interesting to me that the Andals, who destroyed the other havens of the Children when they moved in, never made an attempt on the Island. Maybe George has some notes on it.

The children will certainly discussed in the planned history sections for the Dawn Age, the arrival of the First Men, the Age of Heroes, the Long Night, and the arrival of the Andals. I'm not sure if that constitutes a detailed history, though. ;)

If there's anything more we can have on culture, society, beliefs, and so on from GRRM that we can use in the book, I suspect we will use it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Are there Children of the Forest south of the Wall--Isle of faces in the God's Eye for instance? IIRC, this came up before and Ran posted that there were not any Children south of the Wall.

I ask as this question has come up in this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=17456

but I have only my memory of this post that said no Children south of the Wall anymore and no one else seems to remember it at all and so maybe I was wrong? ( I did do a search but no luck!) Thanks for the help!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What happened to Children of the Forest in North? In South, the Andals killed all Children they found, and cut down weirwoods, but they never got past Neck.

They think they became the crannog man. I bet the Reeds are their descendents.

• 4 months later...

The children never existed its northern propaganda to scare southorn children.

Seriously i think the Children are all gone, like extinct but will they have like an "El Dorado" kind of city under 10 feet of snow, maybe

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a hunch that the Children, when we finally meet them, will be subtly terrifying. On the side of good, naturally. But somehow, relentless.

Yes, I've always thought the Children were extremely spooky - imagine being able to use the trees to spy on your enemies. I hope they come into the story with help to fight the Others. If the direwolves came down past the Wall, why not the Children.

I harbored a belief that the Children woulc come back into their own, until I read that GRRM planned this as a ousted family (the Ts) taking back the throne.

• 1 month later...
Yes, I've always thought the Children were extremely spooky - imagine being able to use the trees to spy on your enemies. I hope they come into the story with help to fight the Others. If the direwolves came down past the Wall, why not the Children.

I harbored a belief that the Children woulc come back into their own, until I read that GRRM planned this as a ousted family (the Ts) taking back the throne.

I have a notion that Coldhands is someone related the the children in some way, if not out right one of them. Look at what little we know about coldhands, rides an elk, controls animals, both traits of the children.

Question of my own, if there are no children south of the wall, then what or who are the Green Men?

A/ anyone else thinks the reeds have COTF blood in them?

B/ how to some one become a green men? or did the original greenmen lived for 8K years? and stand eternal in their watch

• 3 weeks later...
A/ anyone else thinks the reeds have COTF blood in them?

B/ how to some one become a green men? or did the original greenmen lived for 8K years? and stand eternal in their watch

A: That's a very good point, seeing that there's two pretty big connections: the power of greenseeing and the fact that the crannogmen are also small people. They could indeed be descended from the CotF

I have no idea about your second point though :P

Question of my own, we haven't really heard any mention of the God's Eye at all except in the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree. Do you think anyone ever visits this island? Do other people acknowledge there's such a thing as ''green men'' on the island? I mean I bet people must have tried to find out. The whole thing's a bit mysterious.

Question of my own, we haven't really heard any mention of the God's Eye at all except in the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree. Do you think anyone ever visits this island? Do other people acknowledge there's such a thing as ''green men'' on the island? I mean I bet people must have tried to find out. The whole thing's a bit mysterious.

We know a little bit more than just that, though not a lot.

-Gods Eye is the lake, with the Isle of Faces in it.

From aGoT, as told by Maester Luwin:

-The peace pact between the First Men and the CotF was signed there.

-As part of this agreement, every tree on the island was made into a face tree, and then green men were founded as an order to maintain the island.

Presumably since Maester Luwin is telling the story, it's a story accepted by at least some maesters, and presumably if the educated believe it, its believed by many commoners as well.

In CoK, Arya overhears people saying that packs of wolves around the Gods Eye have gone insane, etc etc, Nymeria. I've wondered if there's any connection to the Gods Eye/Isle of Faces. Could that have something to do with Arya's long distance connection to Nymeria--the proximity to the Gods Eye?

During Meera's story in SoS, Bran remarks that nobody visits the island. Additionally Old Nan claims the green men ride elks (thus the possible Coldhands/CotF/Beyond the Wall connection)

I wonder if the Iron Men ever attempted to visit the Isle of Faces--Harrentown and Harrenhal are right on or neat the lake.

Archived