Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion: The reboot

protar

The old thread I made got locked for length back in October, and I don't think anyone ever made another one. Now seems like a good time to reboot it. With Sony in dire straights it seems as though the rights to Spider Man may be returning back to Marvel Studios quite soon, perhaps even soon enough for Spidey to appear in Captain America: Civil War. The supposed plan is for Spidey to appear in Civil War, recast and already acting as an established Superhero. Marvel then co-finances Sony's 2017 Spiderman film, Spidey appears in Infinity War Part 1, and then another Spidey movie comes out in 2019.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112646

I also came up with my own fan plot for Cap Civil War, but it's kinda long, so just discuss Marvel for now y'all.

I read it on another discussion forum which linked the above article. No idea exactly how viable the source is there, but at the very least it seems to have credibility as a possibility that Marvel/Sony might pursue.

You would have thought things had moved along pretty far with CA:CW to suddenly throw a whole new character in there. And would it be an established Spiderman? What exactly is this Spiderman supposed to have been doing during the alien invasion of New York? And would there then be a Garfield starring solo movie? Sounds very messy to me, I like Spiderman but I say rest him and maybe introduce him in Phase 4.

The Spidey info comes from the hacked Sony emails. In a nutshell, Sony has been going back and forth, internally, over whether they should allow Marvel to share the character with them. One scenario they discussed was allowing Marvel to use Spider-Man in a cameo role in Civil War. I've read so many summaries of Sony emails, my head is spinning over all the scenarios discussed. Ultimately, the emails painted Sony out to be fairly clueless over the character, and what they should do with him.

I think this hack makes the prospect of Marvel getting the character much more likely. The public knows it's on the table...it'll just make the pressure to share more potent -- at least from a PR perspective.

This whole thing is exciting, and for me, the most intriguing stuff to come out of the Sony hack. But, again, I'm sad to see Andrew Garfield get put out to pasture. Not only does Marvel want him gone, it appears that even if Sony kept Spidey to themselves, they could re-cast over some internal snub they perceive from Garfield. Beyond the original URL in the first post, If anyone is interested, here's some of the more intriguing summaries of the Spidey correspondence, with names....

This one touches on the hypothetical plan to bring Spidey into the MCU

Email from Marvel President regarding the Spidey 2 script

I was looking up Spidey info earlier today. AS2 cost $200m and grossed $700m worldwide. I don't see why Sony is so eager to scrap the franchise. I enjoy Garfield quite a bit.

You would have thought things had moved along pretty far with CA:CW to suddenly throw a whole new character in there. And would it be an established Spiderman? What exactly is this Spiderman supposed to have been doing during the alien invasion of New York? And would there then be a Garfield starring solo movie? Sounds very messy to me, I like Spiderman but I say rest him and maybe introduce him in Phase 4.

I'm not sure whether or not there is actually enough time to introduce Spidey into Civil War. Some sources say yes, others say no. And it's dubious how big a role he could play.

This Spiderman would be an established one - no origin story, he's just been there already doing his thing. I think that the explanation will be that in the past couple of years more and more superhumans have started springing up, so now they can just introduce any Superhero they want without much explanation. Spidey will be the figurehead of that shift.

And no more Garfield. Which is kind of a shame because I liked Garfield's Spiderman, but if getting rid of him is what it takes to get him into the MCU then so be it. A younger actor, so Spidey could still be in High School seems to be the plan.

I actually spent ages thinking about whether there'd been a mention of a year in a MCU film, and if there wasn't, you could have a solo Spiderman film where aliens suddenly invade New York and it turns out Avengers was set in 2017/18 (or whatever) all along. Then you could keep the Garfield origin and have him become part of the MCU.

I'm pretty sure Iron Man 3 had a year for the flashback at the beginning, plus I'm probably forgetting obvious other examples (I'm guessing they mention how many years Captain America was frozen for at some point).

I actually spent ages thinking about whether there'd been a mention of a year in a MCU film, and if there wasn't, you could have a solo Spiderman film where aliens suddenly invade New York and it turns out Avengers was set in 2017/18 (or whatever) all along. Then you could keep the Garfield origin and have him become part of the MCU.

I'm pretty sure Iron Man 3 had a year for the flashback at the beginning, plus I'm probably forgetting obvious other examples (I'm guessing they mention how many years Captain America was frozen for at some point).

Iron Man 3 starts in New Years Eve 1999 and I'm pretty sure it then flashes forwards to 13 years later.

I recently re-watched all the movies and watched the show for the first time. I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer.

If Dr. Strange is supposed to be an origin story, will it take place before Captain America 2? Cause Sitwell did mention they were keeping an eye on the guy, which would be weird if he was just a good surgeon at that point.

Am I correct that other than the Agent Carters none of the Avengers' established love interests (Tyler, Paltrow, Portman) have deals to appear in future movies?

Is the bit from Iron Man where S.H.I.E.L.D. is still figuring out it's name now retconned? Or it took them 70 years to settle on a name?

Is Clark Gregg going to be in Avengers 2? Or is the plan to have the Avengers continue to think he is dead so that they have an excuse why they can never come help save the world on the show? I mean now that Colsoun is the boss there is no in story reason he can't just go tell Stark he's alive and ask for help, since Stark and Hill are "privatizing global security."

I recently re-watched all the movies and watched the show for the first time. I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer.

If Dr. Strange is supposed to be an origin story, will it take place before Captain America 2? Cause Sitwell did mention they were keeping an eye on the guy, which would be weird if he was just a good surgeon at that point.

Am I correct that other than the Agent Carters none of the Avengers' established love interests (Tyler, Paltrow, Portman) have deals to appear in future movies?

Is the bit from Iron Man where S.H.I.E.L.D. is still figuring out it's name now retconned? Or it took them 70 years to settle on a name?

Is Clark Gregg going to be in Avengers 2? Or is the plan to have the Avengers continue to think he is dead so that they have an excuse why they can never come help save the world on the show? I mean now that Colsoun is the boss there is no in story reason he can't just go tell Stark he's alive and ask for help, since Stark and Hill are "privatizing global security."

> The Word is they're not doing origin stories any more. It's not necessarily a move I agree with, especially when introducing a new facet of the Universe. In any case, it's not like they couldn't be keeping an eye on a rich and influential surgeon.

> No idea.

> The thing about SHIELD's name is probably non-canon nowadays. It doesn't gel with future movies.

> So far as I know there's no word on Coulson in Avengers 2. But the truth has got to come out at some point. Isn't he head of SHIELD now? I would wager that the truth will out in Civil War.

Thanks. I swear I read somewhere that Dr. Strange would be an origin story, but that may have just been speculation. I don't buy for a second that they would have a rich and influential surgeon on their Project Insight kill list.

Just saw this, hypothetical spoilers for Ant-Man and Civil War:

http://io9.com/what-shocking-event-forces-ant-man-to-join-the-avengers-1673946820

Take all of this with the requisite salt, but someone who claims to be "close to the production" e-mailed Starlog with information about how

Ant-Man will tie into the rest of the Marvel universe. It repeats the older rumor that Hank Pym will be seen working with Howard Stark, Arnim Zola, and Alexnder Pierce. In addition, Pym will meet a young version of Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, who will show up again in the after-credits sequence to recruit Pym to join Tony Stark's side in the conflict. Ross reportedly answers a question about why he's there with "Haven't you seen the news? We're at war."

The source adds that Ross will be a "begrudging" ally of Stark in Civil War, giving him military support to enforce the movie's version of the Registration Act. Apparently, the events of Age of Ulron will make Stark less willing to use his own technology. Added to this, Starlog's source says that Black Widow will be arrested for aiding the fugitive heroes, and her eventual jailbreak in another movie could provide a way to introduce Scott Lang into the Avengers. [Starlog]

Pretty interesting. Two things

Firstly, if they're bringing back General Ross, I definitely think that a Thunderbolts movie is on the table for phase 4. Secondly I wonder what future movie Black Widow would escape from prison in? Doesn't really seem like there's much room in the rest of Phase 3. Does Infinity War really have time for Black Widow's jailbreak?

Going back to Dr. Strange... I actually watched Spiderman 2 and 3 with my four year old son this weekend. We had watched the first one a week or two back. Buried in the Spiderman 2 movie was a line where Jonah Jamison was on an epic rant about a name for Otto Octavius and the assistant suggested Dr. Strange. To which JJ responded, "Dr. Strange? I love it! Its great! But its taken..."

So I presume that in theory there is a Dr. Strange in the Raimi Spider-verse.

Also, if you haven't seen it; the number one trending story on my Facebook feed this morning was this Fan made trailer of a cinematic DC v Marvel movie featuring clips from all the franchises meshed together relatively seamlessly. It looked great honestly.

Also, if you haven't seen it; the number one trending story on my Facebook feed this morning was this Fan made trailer of a cinematic DC v Marvel movie featuring clips from all the franchises meshed together relatively seamlessly. It looked great honestly.

W.O.W.

Eta:

They're doing this movie in some alternate universe right now.

Archived