Theory: Dany doesn't get to Westeros until the final season(?)

VictariousReturneth

Reason 1: In a relatively recent interview about Book 6, GRRM made it sound like it would take half or a majority of the book before Tyrion realizes he ''wants to live'' and Dany ''embraces her family words and decides to head home.''

The Battle of Meereen is most surely cut from the show but I still think Dany will stay in Essos for most of Season 6. She might get to Pentos in the last few episodes and be ready to sail off to Westeros but she won't arrive in Westeros.

Reason 2: Dragons. They grow every year and don't do much each season. Save their invasion for when they're fully grown, hence final season.

Reason 3: Pacing. If she's going to get to Westeros in Season 6 it can't just be something that happens halfway through the season, or else it'd lose all its impact (or at least that's what D&D think judging by their pattern of handling arcs). It can't happen at the very beginning either since that decision would come out of nowhere... I doubt Season 5 is going to end with Dany declaring she'll sail to Westeros, as much as I'd like that to happen. But that would basically need to happen in order for her to suddenly be in Westeros in the Season 6 premiere. That plot point needs build-up and I don't think Season 5 will lay the groundwork for it.

Reason 4: Theme. Ice and fire will be the big stuff for the final season. White Walkers finally invade (I seriously doubt they'll invade in Season 6. At the very best the Wall might fall by the end of Season 6 but that's it) and Dany and her Dragons finally get to Westeros. By the penultimate episode of the season both factions will clash in an epic battle.

That's a very popular theory, VR. A minor variant, which I prefer, is that she lands in Westeros at the very end of S6 (effectively the same thing).

Her sailing off in the S6 finale or even landing in Westeros in the S6 finale could work, and might actually be a good idea now that I think about it. The Wall falls in the 9th or 10th episode of S6, and then Dany gets to Westeros in the 10th episode. Then S7 will be the aftermath of that.

If the Wall DOES ACTUALLY fall then I'd say that'd be a better ep. 610-ender than Dany's arrival.

It could go either way, really. I personally think Dany arriving in 7x01 would be the perfect premiere moment for that season and the Wall falling/White Walkers making their move in the Season 6 finale.

I can't say I would complain if Dany is suddenly in Westeros by the first episode of S6, though. I would be happy for that in fact... if only to make her story relevant already since I'm getting quite sick and tired of her.

I think/hope there might be difference how the show will handle Dany story. I think you are right about Dany going to Westeros on end of TWOW and maybe lands there only in the final book. And i agree it is best to do it between seasons. But with all cuts, a possibilty of Dany pretty much finishing her Mereen storyline at end of season 5 and no Aegon as a foreign invader in season 6, i think there is a chance she will be in Westeros early in season 6 in the show. There she will join forces with Dorne and take down Lannisters instead of Aegon. I think it is vastly preferable then her doing whatever in Pentos and KL and Dorne to have some filler story until Dany come for the final season (Trystane as Aegon replacement does not really work for me). Also it would work better thematically. Season 6 will deal with the Iron Throne, Season 7 with White Walkers and with what will happen after the regime change, doing it all in the final season would be very rushed.

i believe season 5 will end as it does in dance, with her in the dothraki sea or flying off on drogon...i believe shell have decided to go to westeros in season 6, but the entire season will be her wrapping things up in Essos, ending in her either arrival in westeros, or finally heading towards westeros, arriving in season 7 episode 1...i do not think that she will be there in season 6, that leaves two seasons of a dany invasion which is unlikely

I agree in the fact that Dany still has a long time until she decides to sail to Westeros (if she actually decides to go there at all)

her journey is taking quite some time, which is understandable since she needs to get stronger if she wants to get the IT... the dragon issue and the 'being lost' issue are other 2 main problems of this... and let's not forget the war of Meeren, I doubt Dany would go away and let her city and people alone. But honestly, something deep inside tells me that she might not even go for the IT at all anymore, since she seems to have new goals that are more important for her atm.

Wasn't there somebody around here who going to shoot themselves if Dany didn't make it back to Westeros in Winds of Winter?

Supposedly we get into the 'Meat' of Wow until season 6.

I think the 'broad strokes' of Feast and Dance will encompass season 5 , some echo backs from what D&D know about Winds and Dream , which is going make us reader to start feeling odd... or maybe it will start to explain some ... like what-the-hell or the Others up too? That may have as much to do with Dany's return to Westeros than anything else.

Now the Breaking-the-Seige-of-Meereen is happening in Winds, we have a Tyrion chapter with it going on, how does that get on the show?

As sneak chapter goes it brings together , looks like, Dany, Tyrion, the Greyjoys (really Dany some Dothraki and Drogon, the other dragons are loose and playing hipity-hop on the battle field before Meereen , looks as if the sell sword companies are about to switch to Dany's side.

So man! in S5 Tyrion has already met Danny , tho they are about to be separated, how do D&D parse all this and keep the 'broad strokes' of ASoIaF in place season 6?

Wasn't there somebody around here who going to shoot themselves if Dany didn't make it back to Westeros in Winds of Winter?

Talk about overreaction... Perhaps the safety of that person's why Martin isn't releasing the last books? :D

So man! in S5 Tyrion has already met Danny , tho they are about to be separated, how do D&D parse all this and keep the 'broad strokes' of ASoIaF in place season 6?

I think there simply won't be a Battle of Meereen on the show. S6 will mostly feature Dany & co. travelling - it will take Tyrion a season to get to Meereen, so it makes sense that it should take her (travelling with dragons, armies and khalasars) a season to get back from it.

Also, Martin indicated that Tyrion and Dany travel apart for large parts of TWOW. And I think whatever causes it (dragonnapping, maybe?) will be preserved in the show.

Season 6 will deal with the Iron Throne, Season 7 with White Walkers and with what will happen after the regime change, doing it all in the final season would be very rushed.

Honestly? I don't think Dany will ever sit on the Iron Throne. I think she will arrive in a Westeros that will be almost completely destroyed (my pet theory is that there will be a 'Euron invasion/war of 3 queens' type of thing in Iron Islands/the Reach/Dorne in S6, which will destroy whatever grain is still in the Reach wheatbasket). And I think that she'll immediately hone in on the White Walkers because of some dragon senses/fire-ice opposition stuff. I don't think the Iron Throne will be at all important by the end of the story.

I think there simply won't be a Battle of Meereen on the show. S6 will mostly feature Dany & co. travelling - it will take Tyrion a season to get to Meereen, so it makes sense that it should take her (travelling with dragons, armies and khalasars) a season to get back from it.

Also, Martin indicated that Tyrion and Dany travel apart for large parts of TWOW. And I think whatever causes it (dragonnapping, maybe?) will be preserved in the show.

The Battle of the Ice , has not occurred yet (by the by I don't think GRRM ever calls it Battle of the Ice? He does not seem to have a name for it)... seems , from what little we know that that will really be two? battles. Ramsay leading a force first , which supposedly won't succeed (if it did that would be weird!) ... and then Stannis attacking Winterfell taking it because a sabotage revolt starts inside. This all is a little more nuanced than Black Water or The Battle for the Wall. So may not need Neil Marshal. Well we know he's not there this year anyway.

This is sort of The Skirmish Around Winterfell.

Bulb! Both book wise, Asha and show wise Yara , this could put Theon's sister fem-o o mono-o with Ramsay (2nd time on the show) which may be why Yara showed up in season 3 and 4?

So something could happen like this.

So Meereen would be pushed off to season 6. We are told Selmy has a fighting force (Selmy seems in command of the Meereen troops) and he is striking the Yunkaish army, Grey Worm seems to have a force and is doing the same, Marselen (will we see him?!) has a force is also doing the same, Sell Sword companies are turning cloak ...and on top of that the Iron Fleet is in Meereen Bay wreaking havoc while Iron Born are storming the beaches, and Dany, seemingly is about to arrive, the Slaver Confederation seems toast!

That's like combining Blackwater and the Battle for the Wall. That would take up a whole episode... can't see that for season 6.

If GRRM gets Winds out before production on season 6 we will have an idea.

If not, it's anybodies guess.

Her sailing off in the S6 finale or even landing in Westeros in the S6 finale could work, and might actually be a good idea now that I think about it. The Wall falls in the 9th or 10th episode of S6, and then Dany gets to Westeros in the 10th episode. Then S7 will be the aftermath of that.

Depends on if the Wall falls in Winds and if early in the book or later. Most people I saw think it will be early towards the middle of the book, so it makes me think it could be a huge mid season climax, maybe too huge.

But, yes, I can't see them dragging Dany storyline too much, the end of the 6th one seems right.

Looking at this from a different angle once Dany lands in Westeros what are people realistically expecting to happen? In my mind she will die before the end of the series and is unlikely to get the iron throne. Now she may clash with Aegon before joining the fight with the white walkers but if Aegon is cut (I actually hope not) then what will she do?

That said I do expect Dany to get back to Westeros near the end of Winds/Season 6, a few episodes of politicking then off for the final battle.

Looking at this from a different angle once Dany lands in Westeros what are people realistically expecting to happen? In my mind she will die before the end of the series and is unlikely to get the iron throne. Now she may clash with Aegon before joining the fight with the white walkers but if Aegon is cut (I actually hope not) then what will she do?

That said I do expect Dany to get back to Westeros near the end of Winds/Season 6, a few episodes of politicking then off for the final battle.

If it were not for the outlier story there might be politicking.

George has presented , without elaboration, that there are Targaryen loyalists and they would rally around a real Aegon and his aunt Daenerys but that's all unclear.

The business about Targaryen loyalists has , as far as I know, never been mentioned on the show.

I don't see things going so well if Aegon is REALLY a fake Targaryen.

It would have made an interesting story if both Aegon and Daenerys had a successful submission of Westeros, actually kind of a complex one.

But that aint gonna happen.

But!

Because of the outlier, The Others.

That seems to have a straight forward implication.

All of Westeros and Essos will have a common enemy.

There won't be any politicking when Dany gets back to Westeros , god only knows book-wise if Aegon makes it back. Geez with Dorne and possibly The Golden Company injected as more plot players , well two thousand more pages can take care of that, two more seasons , 20 episodes, seems impossible.

A big tussle with the Others, supposedly won, then what?

That's why Dream of Spring seems like a weird title for the 7th novel.

Ask this question after Season 6. :-) Because so much can change in the meantime that it's pretty useless to speculate right now, I think.

FWIW, my guess is, I think that Season 6 will be effectively a destruction of the Reach by Euron and Aegon+Dorne. In the show, depending on if they cast Aegon, the Dorne leader could be either him or Trystane (or maybe Gendry via a Faith of the Seven connection). I also think that whoever this is (Aegon/Trystane/Gendry) will in the course of that season end up as one of the dragonriders, most specifically Rhaegal's (the green dragon's) rider, the white dragon being reserved for Jon.

My further guess is, the first thing Dany will do on arrival will be that second Dance of the Dragons Martin has promised - and there is no chance the show will avoid something that cinematic as a dragonfight for its final season. In the books,that's a black dragon vs. green dragon rematch, and a Targaryen vs. a Blackfyre rematch. But in the show, if there's no Aegon, and if the whole Blackfyre story is cut, then I suppose the same sort of reasoning that got Quentyn killed could land Trystane or Gendry a dragon (one being descended from the Targs via Daenerys IV, the other via Rhaelle).

Finally, my personal opinion (lol me) is that I would be kind of fine with that... but Toby Sebastian is a twink. So, unless he's a very good actor, I don't want him on a dragon. And so I hope that unless Aegon's in, Gendry's it. :D

Like I said, though, ask after we get closer to the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived