I Hate Christmas (Warning: A Tad Bit Explicit)

Sivin

No unhappy people aren't more efficient .

Unhappy me is an asshole . Come to think of it happy me is an asshole too but he's a charming , funny and helpful sexy asshole .

Unhappy me is just a cold asshole who wants to bitch slap people with wet fish .

Professor Joe Forgas begs to differ. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-murder-and-the-meaning-life/201306/7-good-things-about-feeling-bad

I'm not buying this argument at all, in any way. Why do people need a specific day in which they all have to be happy? And why is it so inconvenient? Unhappy people are more efficient.

Barmaid. I didn't call her that, she called herself that.

Chronic pain is not a medical emergency, but there's no need to get into that here. But there's a tree in my house right now because even though I pay 45 percent of the damn rent, my two roommates wanted a tree and if we don't get a tree, who's the subject of their petty resentment? And have you ever tried to tell a family member you don't want to do the gift thing? I have. No less than 4 times in the last week, but somehow 'I don't need a present, I'm a fucking adult' gets misinterpreted as 'I'm just not sure what I want, buy me everything!' this time of year.

I have the same general present complaint about birthdays. Unless you share a birthday with James Earl Jones, and are also James Earl Jones, I'm not doing anything other than wishing you a healthy year.

Yikes. Are you really serious here? People should be unhappy so we are more efficient? hmmmm...

I have to agree with most of the others here. Your post comes across as exceptionally selfish. You don't like Christmas, fine, whatever. But one day, one day in the year that the majority of things aren't available* and you complain?

*Only a handful of services, like.schools, shut for significant periods over the holidays. And that seems pefectly normal, why should they be open if there are no kids to teach? Wouldn't that be terribly inefficient?

I don't get why people complicate shit . You don't like certain aspects of the holiday that have developed through commercialization . That's great , you can make your own Christmas traditions about things you love .

I never bought anyone a Christmas present . But I'm thinking maybe I should for the kids . It's not about spending . It's about someone thinking about you and caring enough to go through the trouble of getting something to make you smile . And that's what's worth it .

The problem is that a lot of times, if one wants to deal with their family for the rest of the year, they have to participate in certain traditions on certain dates. I make a rant on a forum and get told I'm like a hitler loving grinch. No big deal because strangers on a forum don't mean anything to me. I make a rational, well reasoned comment about potential changes to xmas to people in my life and not only am I likened to hitler but I'm also one of the last people others want at other events. And all because I suggested enchiladas rather than ham, because *gasp* an xmas without ham isn't xmas at all or suggest that the adults give up the tradition of getting these $10 useless gifts in favor of the kids and/or putting that money towards an event we can all enjoy together. Seriously, suggesting this shit where I'm from is on the same level as admitting to the fam that I'm an atheist, only they still want to hang around the token atheist. Trying to change traditions 'round here is like a declaration of war.

It's nice to think that gift giving isn't about spending and is all about the thoughts and smiles, but it's not how it works in practice for a lot of people. I think about these people all the time and I'm pretty sure I'm usually part of their thoughts as well. It's a shame that we can't express that throughout the year because people need and want their xmas gifts. I saw something in July that really made me think of Cousin J, but couldn't get it because it's been determined that Cousin J must receive something at xmas and must only cost X amount of dollars so Cousin J will not know that I thought of him all the way back in July unless I want to make people really angry and say "sorry about this stupid coin collector but I wanted to get you this great gift in July but I had to save my money because all of you grown ass adults have a desperate need to unwrap stuff on a specific day even if it's stuff you don't even want."

I can't wait until hating xmas becomes cool. Maybe then creating more sustainable and happier xmas traditions will become cool, too. For now, I'll just rant to people I don't care about and fake smile with people I actually do care about to make it through a day that annoys me so that I can get to the next day that's really fun since everyone is off work and we're all still hanging out only this time without the stifling traditions that make me feel so ranty.

I opted out of Christmas. It's the one time of year I won't go home. The carefully built up cognitive dissonance is too fragile. I'm sure I've only myself to blame for not being able to turn religious manipulation and tears and guilt trips into pure family acceptance, but since I can't seem to manage it, it's better to save family visits for less emotionally charged events. We'll see my in laws for a few hours of nonreligious dinner, but otherwise I don't take any time off work beyond scheduled holidays or have personal decorations or celebrations. I don't feel like it's something I've missed out on over the last several years.

The problem is that a lot of times, if one wants to deal with their family for the rest of the year, they have to participate in certain traditions on certain dates. I make a rant on a forum and get told I'm like a hitler loving grinch. No big deal because strangers on a forum don't mean anything to me. I make a rational, well reasoned comment about potential changes to xmas to people in my life and not only am I likened to hitler but I'm also one of the last people others want at other events. And all because I suggested enchiladas rather than ham, because *gasp* an xmas without ham isn't xmas at all or suggest that the adults give up the tradition of getting these $10 useless gifts in favor of the kids and/or putting that money towards an event we can all enjoy together. Seriously, suggesting this shit where I'm from is on the same level as admitting to the fam that I'm an atheist, only they still want to hang around the token atheist. Trying to change traditions 'round here is like a declaration of war.

It's nice to think that gift giving isn't about spending and is all about the thoughts and smiles, but it's not how it works in practice for a lot of people. I think about these people all the time and I'm pretty sure I'm usually part of their thoughts as well. It's a shame that we can't express that throughout the year because people need and want their xmas gifts. I saw something in July that really made me think of Cousin J, but couldn't get it because it's been determined that Cousin J must receive something at xmas and must only cost X amount of dollars so Cousin J will not know that I thought of him all the way back in July unless I want to make people really angry and say "sorry about this stupid coin collector but I wanted to get you this great gift in July but I had to save my money because all of you grown ass adults have a desperate need to unwrap stuff on a specific day even if it's stuff you don't even want."

I can't wait until hating xmas becomes cool. Maybe then creating more sustainable and happier xmas traditions will become cool, too. For now, I'll just rant to people I don't care about and fake smile with people I actually do care about to make it through a day that annoys me so that I can get to the next day that's really fun since everyone is off work and we're all still hanging out only this time without the stifling traditions that make me feel so ranty.

Well I'm sorry you have to go through that and I'm thankful that thing are tons simpler with mine .

I have to say, the best holidays I ever experienced were when I lived far away from family. For ten years I missed the holidays because I was across the country or across the world. I thought it was sad but looking back, it was pretty amazing. I didn't experience the stress I do now that I'm here plus the memories of those holidays stand out since each year something different happened. Now that I'm going to be having my own kid, I'm seriously considering moving away from the family with at least one reason being that I just think I appreciate my family more when I don't have to see them often and I'm hoping the kiddo will feel that way too.

Jesus Sivin, just because you do not care about the holiday and seeing your family on it (like me, I don't either) does not mean nobody in the service industries you patronize should. Hate Christmas all you like, opt out of it, but if you expect the whole world around you to do the same you are being a jerk

The OP should count himself lucky he wasn't around back in the eighties, when things really did shut down over Christmas. Growing up in London, I remember there actually used to be a telephone helpline, for those people foolish enough to have failed to stock up on bread and milk for the four or five days when all the shops were shut.

I like pretty much everything about christmas except the gift-giving. In terms of material goods, I pretty much have everything I need at the moment because when I want something then I buy it for myself. And if I can't afford it then it's not something I'd feel comfortable asking someone else to give to me. The rest of my family is pretty much the same (with the exception of my sister who can never have too many material goods). So every year we go through the same little song-and-dance:

"What do you want for christmas this year?"

"Dunno, you?"

"Dunno."

"Well great."

And yet whenever I suggest we just do away with the presents and just use the holiday as an opportunity to have a big get-together and eat and drink way too much I always get shouted down. So everybody goes out and spends money to buy things for other people that they don't actually want and probably won't ever gets used. I tried to head things off at the pass this year by just saying "look, all I want is one nice bottle of bourbon and anyone else who wants to give me a gift just make a charity donation" and that still wasn't enough because apparently I absolutely must have things to unwrap. Fucking frustrating.

On the plus side my mum always makes sherry trifle and maple cream so yay christmas!

I don't get annoyed by what people decide to do in their own homes as much as the complete saturation of Christmas everywhere - it's fucking horrible. Christmas songs make me want to tear my fucking hair out, the dumb decorations piss me off, the fact the there's Christmas themed everything, everywhere. I can't get away from it, it's in shops, it's on TV, it's even in my fucking video games. And it feels like everyone just goes along with it because that's what everyone else does. Even my family, who doesn't celebrate Christmas at all anymore still feels the need to get a Turkey on Christmas - why? That's what annoys me, I hate 'traditions', I hate people doing things for the sole reason that it's what everyone else does. I hate how people derive joy from this insipid farce. I know I come off like a grumpy asshole but that's what Christmas does to me, it turns me into a grumpy asshole every single year.

It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

How can anyone dislike having Fairytale of New York on repeat?

Opt out of the gift thing. If family members get you stuff anyway, cool. Don't gift back and make it clear you aren't giving or expecting gifts and let it be on them. Let the flatmates deal with the mess from the tree. A simple "I don't want a tree, but if you guys do, feel free. I'm not involved though!" would suffice. Maybe don't live somewhere where you pay an unequal share of the rent though, it obviously breeds resentment.

As for having minimum wage workers working throughout? Fuck off. Seriously, fuck off. Everyone deserves a bit of time off, and it's rather important to have times of the year when literally everyone is off. You know, so they can see their friends and families. Is it so fucking inconvenient to you, not having access to a bar or a school office or whatever for a few days? And as for a chronic problem, it's chronic. And Christmas doesn't move. Get your pain meds in advance. If there's a major change, A&E or out of hours doctors or whatever the provision is. If it's a minor change, do you really begrudge your doctor having some time off, but not enough to use an emergency service?

If it was up to me we'd all have a week off and exchange gifts midsummer too. I'd draw the line at midsummer jumpers though. Maybe novelty swimwear instead?

The barmaid (Barmaid? Really?) is right, you're being an asshole and you should knock it off. Yeah, you work to get paid, but that doesn't mean you want to be working all the time, and those sorts of jobs always stick you at work when everyone else gets to be home with their family, most of whom want to be there.

yeah dude, seriously.

''Fuck her'' ? ? Seriously. those sorts of jobs fucking suck, i hate it when assholes look down on me for working my hourly shitty retail job.

I very nearly almost had to stay alone in my flat away from home for christmas because I couldn't get enough time off work to justify my dad driving 4 hrs each day for me to only stay a day or two.

Now, I'm staying almost a week bcus I just had to bite down my major work anxiety and tell them i just wasn't gonna come in for one 4 hr shift they had me down in the middle of my days off because i wouldn't even be in the same country.

right now i love christmas just bcus im going home and seeing my family.

i am of the xmas is what you make it into crowd.

as a general rule i don't give a fuck about that which is the standard american xmas experience. fuck that noise.

but, i am excited to hang out with my wife and great friends, eat like lords, drink like rockstars and have a magnificent time.

I'm in the middle of a divorce and I don't have as much vitriol and hate as you do, Sivin. Bless your heart; I hope you get a little gingerbread into that Ebenezer heart of yours. :D

Beaten to the Ebeneezer parallel by ES.

``I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. ``Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''

Archived