I Hate Christmas (Warning: A Tad Bit Explicit)

Sivin

Ah yes, fuck that barmaid. What kind of asshole complains about missing her family on Thanksgiving and might actually look forward to seeing them on Christmas? She's a bartender for ffs, and paid hourly!

Seriously, if you don't want to participate in Christmas, don't. My family gives me shit all the time for one thing or another and I brush it right off and go on with my life. If your roommates having a tree distresses you so much, live alone or find new ones.

After spending years working the ER Christmas morning shift, I'm absolutely thrilled to be off for 5 days because our clinic is closing down so the employees can enjoy a well earned break.

Fuck her, you work to get paid. And with an hourly job like... tending bar... I'd assume you want to work as many hours as possible to make as much money as possible. Or maybe I'm missing the point of having a goddamn job. I'm the laziest asshole I know, and I used to volunteer to work on the holidays.

Yo, dude, I do work over the holidays, and it fucking sucks. I like Thanksgiving and I haven't had that off for years now. I just got back from my weekend off because I have to work Christmas too. And you know what? Its alright, because I don't have kids that really live for this kind of thing, so I feel better working so those families can be together. But what does suck is that I know my friends from all over are getting together again and I can't be there because I'm over 200m away, working. If you want to work over the holidays, go for it and get a job.

You're being a dick to people who are working, when they really don't want to be, so that you can be at the bar enjoying your beer like an antisocial dickhead.

e: I don't really like Christmas either, by the way, but I don't expect the entire world to revolve around my every whim like you seem to. I think the songs are annoying as hell, mostly, and a lot of the religious stuff around it gets to me, but beyond not playing songs in my apt I don't really give two shits.

Hmm, even when I think I have the internet figured out... I can totally predict the reaction to me hating Christmas, people are protective of their rituals. I can similarly predict the reactions to my comments about hating gift giving, and not wanting a tree in my house.

But the reaction to my experience with the bartender (is that better? Apparently 'barmaid' offended someone?) was not expected. Perhaps it was my choice of words, and it seemed like I was attacking her...? The reality of the situation is that this bartender seemed to be having a rough night, she was throwing used glasses around and generally pissed off. I don't care. She took my orders, got me my drinks, and I left her alone because she was obviously busy as fuck (seriously, the place was packed). Then she overhears my comment, to my friend, about how I don't like Christmas. I mentioned specifically how I don't like that the work schedule gets tossed around due to the missing days, now what I was referencing was that the VA was going to take an extra 2 weeks to get me in to see my new doctor because of the scheduling issues. I never mentioned anywhere else, and I really didn't mention bars.

The bartender probably didn't know the context of my conversation when I said 'I hate when everything gets closed down for Christmas', and that's when she made the comments about her having had to work holidays and how I should be more understanding.

Granted, I mentioned when I wrote the OP that the line about people should be grateful for work was a stupid comment, I knew it when I wrote it. But I was fired up and annoyed and got carried away. If someone doesn't want to work on a holiday and they get paid hourly, I see no reason they should have to. It would be my personal preference to work the hours and make the extra money.

Sivin,

Dont screw with the little guy (or in this case the little barmaid). The way you view the humblest among us tells people a lot. Most people worked shit jobs on the way up and dont appreciate people looking down on making an honest living. I know you probably did not mean any harm but thats how the OP came off. Hence the outrage.

BTW - chill out on Christmas. Its a grind but everyone has to deal with it. Life is a series of cycles, Christmas gives everyone a day or two to decompress, reset and get ready to go back to the slog of life.

Chats - that's probably the most epic, kick ass post of all time. Still trying to do the math on your Man situation (1+1= you are the other woman?) Be careful with that jury trial. I've never been popped for DUI but it seems to me that the first time is almost a free pass, 60 days loss of license, continued without a finding.

I'm not very sentimental about Christmas but I get two paid weeks outta work so... fuck yea, Christmas! Gonna sleep and eat cookies for two weeks.

Yeah this is pretty much me. I save up vacation/personal time every year and chill the fuck out the last 10-12 days of December. I decompress, recharge and catch up on all my various entertainment backlogs. Plus football! It is glorious.

Christmas itself won't be as cool as usual this year because my mom and sister are feuding, and thus sis is not coming home for Christmas. Which sucks, cause family time is awesome when everyone is getting along, but sucks ass when things are awkward like this.

Sivin- the reason you caught hell about the bartender is that the service industry is always fucked on personal time. All year long, and then holidays too. If you work on the things most people do in their free time, guess what? You don't see anyone that doesn't do the same. This week I have Christmas Day off. My SO was raised Jehovah's Witness and is now a philosophical satanist. I have one day off that coincides with his for the forseeable future. But, it's also the only day that coincides with my sister's, my dad's, my brother's, or my mom's. So, I can choose either to spend that time with my boyfriend who left his whole life behind to live across the country with me and upset my entire family, who I will not have a day to see until spring at least, or I can go do Christmas with them and not have a day to spend with my SO until spring. If I make him go with he'd feel awkward and I wouldn't want that, he does not celebrate Christmas. But, for bartenders and hair stylists and doctors and tattoo artists and movie theater staff, you work any time your loved ones are off. A holiday means a hell of a lot more when that's what you can spend with people instead of 52 weekends a year, like most people have off. And these are the people whose labor makes it possible for you to do fun things or necessary things when you are off work. Belittling their desire to have two or three days a year they aren't expected to be at the mercy of literally everyone else's convenience is shockingly self absorbed.

Sivin-

A lot of people working on holidays, evenings, weekends, and whatever other odd shifts have no choice in the matter. I worked night shift for years. My life would've been so much easier if everyone started staying up all night and sleeping all day. Banks, stores, and restaurants should've all kept evening hours only, and fuck anybody who cranks a lawnmower before 5pm. Unfortunately I've never figured out how to get the world to revolve around me.

In every hospital I've worked at, staff members are required to work one shift on either Christmas Eve or Day. They don't have the luxury of deciding whether they want to do it for the extra cash. They can't travel to see family and friends if they want to, they can't be home Christmas morning to play Santa for their kids.

This is not limited to the medical field. Yes, most folks work to earn a paycheck. However, that's sometimes not the sole motivating factor, and often people have higher priorities. Yes, it's an expected part of life when you work any job with a nontraditional schedule. That doesn't make it any less shitty sometimes.

Sivin-

A lot of people working on holidays, evenings, weekends, and whatever other odd shifts have no choice in the matter. I worked night shift for years. My life would've been so much easier if everyone started staying up all night and sleeping all day. Banks, stores, and restaurants should've all kept evening hours only, and fuck anybody who cranks a lawnmower before 5pm. Unfortunately I've never figured out how to get the world to revolve around me.

In every hospital I've worked at, staff members are required to work one shift on either Christmas Eve or Day. They don't have the luxury of deciding whether they want to do it for the extra cash. They can't travel to see family and friends if they want to, they can't be home Christmas morning to play Santa for their kids.

This is not limited to the medical field. Yes, most folks work to earn a paycheck. However, that's sometimes not the sole motivating factor, and often people have higher priorities. Yes, it's an expected part of life when you work any job with a nontraditional schedule. That doesn't make it any less shitty sometimes.

Several posts have given me incentive to respond, but I'll quote this one only for the sake of brevity.

I suppose my takeaway from this thread so far is that my own priorities are vastly different from the majority of this board. To me, making money is the first and most important part of my life. I do not need or care for extra time off at the expense of income, particularly not on days that I did not choose myself. Obviously that's not the way other people feel about the situation. Which I'll admit is fairly confusing to me. But, no matter.

While I'm here, I'd like to just say one more time... zelticgar mentioned that I came across as 'looking down on' the bartender. That was never the case, when I wrote 'fuck her', I meant to impart that I did not hold with her opinion of 'Free Time > Work Hours'. There was no personal insult meant, a failure of communication on my part when I was caught up in the thrill of writing an opening post. As for the actual interaction with the woman herself, it was minimal. I listened to her point of view and allowed her to get back to work, then no more was said.

Im sorry but mate "fuck her" is a strong thing to write and its coming across as rly weird how you didnt realise that. your "oh i did not realise people would think i was attacking her by saying fuck her wow" is kinda ridiculous but whatever. Also you do realise a lot of people working hourly d

really dont get a choice in what hours they work and if they do its minimal?? It's how self-absorbed this post was that ticked a lot of people off. You wrote an asshole thing you might as well admit it.but so good that you *allowed* her to get back to work. i still dont see why her complaining about working xmas is such a bad thing on her part. Its not. And being a woman behind the bar on a busy as shit day when some guy is drinking and complaining about hating xmas when she cant get the time off to see family would annoy me if i was her too.

not to get hung up on the bartender thing but just sayin'

it's good to remove your head from your ass and realise everyone isnt like you every now and again. You like making money?? Cool. Im depressed and homesick as fuck so going home for a few days is fucking essential to me right now. I basically had to just get over major work anxiety to tell my manager theres one 4 hr shift i couldnt do bcus id be home. I dont give a shit about xmas songs or the religious aspect of it. Im not even massively fond of the gift exchange thing but its nice enough. But going home for a few days fuckin rocks and i realise im lucky enough to have a family i really wanna see.

ok im done.

All I read in the OP was ME ME ME ME. Well, OTHERS.

On the one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, thinking too much of others can also ruin Christmas. When you're sitting down to your festive meal, think of the amount of time it took to prepare versus the amount of time it'll take to eat, for instance.

On the one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, thinking too much of others can also ruin Christmas. When you're sitting down to your festive meal, think of the amount of time it took to prepare versus the amount of time it'll take to eat, for instance.

Yeah, I'm all for a well balanced time management when it comes to the meal. We all help out and do one dish each, or in the case of today (we celebrate Jul, starting today) I am working (and was yesterday too) so my brother who has had a few days off offered to do mine as well.

My parents do a little bit more, of their own choice, they are retired. When they have been unable we did everything ourselves. We don't get hysterical about the preparations, we keep it simple.

I wasn't thinking about the traditions when I said that btw, I was thinking about the complaining that everything is closed, the "Fuck her, you work to get paid", and for example the tree thing. Someone in the house obviously wants a tree, and the OP doesn't, why just not leave it to them to deal with, clean up etc? In general, all of it was whining about things that one should be able to deal with as an adult who can decide to spend their own holiday as they wish. Your (not you Eloisa) family gives you grief over the gifts? Just suck it up and stand up for yourself, tell everyone repeatedly (since months before) that you will not parttake. You don't want to spend the day with family, then don't or go home early. I mean if you don't like them, what's the point? It's your life.

To us the holiday is about having a time of the year designated to spend together, all of us (me, brothers, SO's sometimes and my parents) and we try to make it home if we are living away.

I'm not a big fan of Christmas. The gift-giving with my extended family is just weird. They're stupidly rich, and last year they gave me a candle. I like candles, don't get me wrong, but a book would have been better. They just give us crap every year. When I was a kid, they gave us the little toys and shit from their crackers. I shit you not. I think I got some mini tweezers.

We're seeing a whole bunch of them on the 28th. I am not particularly keen on sitting there while they all ridicule poor people and attack my tattoos and staying sober, even though I'm not driving! Gasp. Fuck them.

I don't like how everything is open now, forcing people to work. Things literally shut for Christmas Day now, that's it. If people want to work, great, pay them extra, but I know that's not the case for many. Give them some (paid) time off ffs.

I have a love/hate thing with Christmas. My kids are pretty much grown, and my parents (and my husband's parents) are dead, I can't stand my sister, so it's just the four of us. Nevertheless, it's really, really stressful and expensive - and a ton of work. I never have time to "enjoy" the holidays, or go to parties, or anything...

But that's mostly all my fault. I'm a procrastinator, and disorganized, and lazy, too. But I'm also a perfectionist and everything needs to be just so - and no one can really help much because they won't do it "right" (right = how I want it done because I'm anal!) It's down to the last hours, and am I ready? OH HELL NO. I have so much more work to do! Still wrapping presents, need to clean AGAIN, cookies to frost, more to bake, Christmas dinner to work on...

I have a "vision" of how everything should be, which doesn't necessarily match the rest of my family's ideas...which stresses me out and disappoints me. Again, that's on me.

I just hope the kids are happy. Then I'll be happy.

PS - Had a major, major snafu with Old Navy who lost many of my daughter's presents I ordered a MONTH ago. Took three/four days, I guess, but it's mostly resolved. OH THEY SUCK even tho' they are so very, very, very sorry. Never again will I buy their cheap shit. Crappiest service EVER.

OTOH, I bought a last minute t shirt for my son and didn't expect it 'til after Xmas and it came yesterday so yay! Amazon and Target have been awesome.

OP: people have different priorities. You want to make money...others would rather spend time with their loved ones. Begrudging them that makes you look petty, whether you realize it or not.

We have kids. There's no way we'd work on a holiday...especially Christmas. We only get a few years of seeing them grow up, and there's not enough money in the world to buy it back once it's gone.

Archived