I Hate Christmas (Warning: A Tad Bit Explicit)

Sivin

I suppose my takeaway from this thread so far is that my own priorities are vastly different from the majority of this board. To me, making money is the first and most important part of my life. I do not need or care for extra time off at the expense of income, particularly not on days that I did not choose myself. Obviously that's not the way other people feel about the situation. Which I'll admit is fairly confusing to me. But, no matter.

There's not always an issue if lost income. The nurses at my clinic, who are paid hourly, are paid for 8hrs on Christmas Eve and Day. I'm on salary, but am also paid the same. Rather than wade through the sea of flu patients coughing all over us, we get paid to spend that time whatever way we please. That's a pretty sweet deal. It boggles my mind that others would begrudge people whose jobs are often miserable a couple days away from it because they find it inconvenient. Like we have no lives of our own and don't exist beyond our service to others :dunno:

*This is a very sensitive topic to me and my reply isn't based only on your comments. I hear this all the time from patients and family members who don't understand why we have to close at 5pm and can't wait around on them to come in at 515 for the cold they've had for the last four days when we've been there everyday starting at 8am.

When I was hourly instead of salaried, I loved getting double time for working the holidays, but of course not everybody's in that situation. Sivin, I'll defend your right to hate Christmas, but bad form in beating up on the service industry (At the same time, the bartender didn't have to butt into the conversation.)

With Christmas, what I get annoyed with is that no one takes it seriously that I am not Christian. Shouldn't that matter? I mean Jewish people don't celebrate Christmas. I'm Buddhist and my spouse is a Neo-Pagan, but that seems to just get a general hand-wave. We do a semi-compromised "12 days of Yule" starting with the Solstice and running through New Years, with small gifts and rituals throughout. Christmas shows up as the fifth day of Yule, we fill the stockings, and our daughter gets some more loot at her grandparents'. The obligatory spending can be very stressful and rampant materialism doesn't seem like a great lesson for the kids, anyway.

Still, if kids aren't a factor, I'd be all for scheduling an annual family get-together that's not on December 25th, when the weather is shitty and it's expensive to travel. Or maybe just move to Australia where Christmas falls during the summer.

So, I need some advice. One of my sisters has a 7 month old baby. 7 month olds don't unwrap presents. I put the baby's gifts all into one large decorative gift box figuring it would be easier for my sister to both open and transport. Sister stopped by and got upset that I didn't wrap each item individually. I thought that was ludicrous yet everyone was on her side when I asked about it. Apparently there's this thing about photo ops and how the new 'it' thing is to sit a baby in the middle of gifts to take a pic. Leaving aside my feelings about this, I was so irritated that I sat my ass down last night and individually wrapped every single little item. I even separated pairs of socks so that each single sock had it's own wrapping. Each jar of baby food individually wrapped. I even wrapped toy components separately if they were not connected to the main toy. I seriously considered wrapping each individual diaper, though I thankfully ran out of wrapping paper before I got to that point.

It was really petty but I was so irritated that this gift giving thing is all about the photo op. Now I feel both really bad and also really pleased. Bad because I would punch someone in the face if they did this to me, however, I'd never even considering telling someone that I wanted them to do more work so that I could get some sort of pinterest picture. But I also feel pleased with myself because it's a silent protest against behavior I find repulsive around this time of year.

So what should I do? Keep the presents wrapped as is and just smile when I get the nasty look when I give them all to her? Or just let it go and wrap them how I knew my sister was saying (in different boxes only separated by type of item, so clothes together, toys together, food/diapers together)?

So, I need some advice. One of my sisters has a 7 month old baby. 7 month olds don't unwrap presents. I put the baby's gifts all into one large decorative gift box figuring it would be easier for my sister to both open and transport. Sister stopped by and got upset that I didn't wrap each item individually. I thought that was ludicrous yet everyone was on her side when I asked about it. Apparently there's this thing about photo ops and how the new 'it' thing is to sit a baby in the middle of gifts to take a pic. Leaving aside my feelings about this, I was so irritated that I sat my ass down last night and individually wrapped every single little item. I even separated pairs of socks so that each single sock had it's own wrapping. Each jar of baby food individually wrapped. I even wrapped toy components separately if they were not connected to the main toy. I seriously considered wrapping each individual diaper, though I thankfully ran out of wrapping paper before I got to that point.

It was really petty but I was so irritated that this gift giving thing is all about the photo op. Now I feel both really bad and also really pleased. Bad because I would punch someone in the face if they did this to me, however, I'd never even considering telling someone that I wanted them to do more work so that I could get some sort of pinterest picture. But I also feel pleased with myself because it's a silent protest against behavior I find repulsive around this time of year.

So what should I do? Keep the presents wrapped as is and just smile when I get the nasty look when I give them all to her? Or just let it go and wrap them how I knew my sister was saying (in different boxes only separated by type of item, so clothes together, toys together, food/diapers together)?

These people sound incredibly spoiled. Griping about the presentation of a present is very rude. If it were me, I would leave them as is and let them either get over it or not.

I completely understand your frustration. I have children, but I've never been upset at how people chose to give them gifts (in fact, I love the box idea, because we travel a long ways). But I probably would go ahead and unwrap them...the wrapping would have been a way to vent my anger, but I would just keep it to myself. I've had enough family holidays ruined by family arguments that I don't really see it as worth it.

Up to you, of course.

*This is a very sensitive topic to me and my reply isn't based only on your comments. I hear this all the time from patients and family members who don't understand why we have to close at 5pm and can't wait around on them to come in at 515 for the cold they've had for the last four days when we've been there everyday starting at 8am.

SO MUCH THIS^^^^

I work at a medical clinic myself, and I'm working today. It blows my mind how many patients have the attitude you've just outlined. So you couldn't be bothered to miss a halfday of work to be seen during the runup to a holiday, and now you're upset because we don't have clinic hours on Christmas Day? Kindly piss off.

Meh. Why write a fucking anti-ode to it, then?

I hate to say it, but I don't have a tree. I don't have a man. He's in North Carolina with his "real family" that he's trying to hold together after his best friend fucked his wife. Oh, they have a toddler. How cute. And I'm certainly not taking on any of that - mine is on his way to Yale, or Stanford. Hm. Did I mention that somehow, I'm paying off my ex husband #2, and I'm dead flat broke?? I had to push my hair appointment to next week, to try and budget properly.

Did I mention that I'm certainly not drinking, except at home? You seem to mention a barmaid. Well, I had THREE, literally, THREE normal-sized drinks over four goddamn hours. And 7up. And food. Trying to be 100% sure that I was responsible and not drinking and driving. Well, the valet parking guy fucked with my headlights; I got pulled over, and I've now spent $10k on a hopefully excellent attorney who can save my professional license, my career, and my reputation. Ten thousand fucking dollars. Thank god I only spent until 6 am in jail, and could take Uber home, shower, and go to work, then pick up my car in the worst part of town (unlocked - with my handbag in the back) from police property the next day. And then work until midnight. By any, ANY calculation of weight, drinks, and hours, my BAC shouldn't have been above .08, at the most. I blew more than double, which is physically goddamn impossible. (The attorney is currently finding out the maintenance procedures of the machine and training of the officers.) I'm likely going to have to go through a jury trial, and god fucking help me if I lose my license to practice. Because that's when dancing at the strip club becomes a real occurrence, and not a joke.

Fuck you.

Damn, Chats. That blows so hard, I can't even imagine. :grouphug:

Santa is on fire with hate.

You mean ACTUAL SANTA on fire with hate?

--

Y'all said it pretty much, yes in my opinion Christmas is a bit overrated but to each their own, I wouldn't judge how others spend their time. Whatever makes them happy.

But, no, even a first arrest for DUI is a horrible nightmare, even at age 40, where I've only had a parking ticket. There's no free pass, and I really do feel like the breathalyzer was fucked (apparently, my ulcer could be the cause of that). Shit, if I had been shitfaced, I would put my big girl panties on and plead guilty, no matter what. Seriously, I am under no illusions - that's why I drank 7up and waited, just in case. Any calc on an empty stomach would have me at MAX .08, most likely .06. Whenever I was in doubt, I'd take Uber or get a ride from a sober friend.

Anyway, I don't even drive after ONE drink,now. I Uber ALWAYS or I am designated and drink soda. And I'm still paying my ex husband $1k/mo. Bastard.

When did this shitshow happen? I hope that all gets sorted properly :(

Meh. Why write a fucking anti-ode to it, then?

I hate to say it, but I don't have a tree. I don't have a man. He's in North Carolina with his "real family" that he's trying to hold together after his best friend fucked his wife. Oh, they have a toddler. How cute. And I'm certainly not taking on any of that - mine is on his way to Yale, or Stanford. Hm. Did I mention that somehow, I'm paying off my ex husband #2, and I'm dead flat broke?? I had to push my hair appointment to next week, to try and budget properly.

Did I mention that I'm certainly not drinking, except at home? You seem to mention a barmaid. Well, I had THREE, literally, THREE normal-sized drinks over four goddamn hours. And 7up. And food. Trying to be 100% sure that I was responsible and not drinking and driving. Well, the valet parking guy fucked with my headlights; I got pulled over, and I've now spent $10k on a hopefully excellent attorney who can save my professional license, my career, and my reputation. Ten thousand fucking dollars. Thank god I only spent until 6 am in jail, and could take Uber home, shower, and go to work, then pick up my car in the worst part of town (unlocked - with my handbag in the back) from police property the next day. And then work until midnight. By any, ANY calculation of weight, drinks, and hours, my BAC shouldn't have been above .08, at the most. I blew more than double, which is physically goddamn impossible. (The attorney is currently finding out the maintenance procedures of the machine and training of the officers.) I'm likely going to have to go through a jury trial, and god fucking help me if I lose my license to practice. Because that's when dancing at the strip club becomes a real occurrence, and not a joke.

Fuck you.

Chats, thats awful. I hope your attorney can sort it! :grouphug:

Yeah this is pretty much me. I save up vacation/personal time every year and chill the fuck out the last 10-12 days of December. I decompress, recharge and catch up on all my various entertainment backlogs. Plus football! It is glorious.

Christmas itself won't be as cool as usual this year because my mom and sister are feuding, and thus sis is not coming home for Christmas. Which sucks, cause family time is awesome when everyone is getting along, but sucks ass when things are awkward like this.

In our family its mum and sister vs sister in law. S-I-L's family are in Sydney so Bro and she take off to avoid the hoo-har. Every Christmas I have to sit through the bitch fest as mum and sis criticize, reinterpret and generally put down S-I-L.

I get so upset, I cant say anything because I'd say too much, and "ruin" Christmas! The thing is, its MY family too that they are putting down.

So last year hubby surprised me with a cruise, and this year, everyone thinks we are somewhere else, and we're hiding out at home. :love:

Im sorry but mate "fuck her" is a strong thing to write and its coming across as rly weird how you didnt realise that. your "oh i did not realise people would think i was attacking her by saying fuck her wow" is kinda ridiculous but whatever. Also you do realise a lot of people working hourly d

really dont get a choice in what hours they work and if they do its minimal?? It's how self-absorbed this post was that ticked a lot of people off. You wrote an asshole thing you might as well admit it.but so good that you *allowed* her to get back to work. i still dont see why her complaining about working xmas is such a bad thing on her part. Its not. And being a woman behind the bar on a busy as shit day when some guy is drinking and complaining about hating xmas when she cant get the time off to see family would annoy me if i was her too.

not to get hung up on the bartender thing but just sayin'

it's good to remove your head from your ass and realise everyone isnt like you every now and again. You like making money?? Cool. Im depressed and homesick as fuck so going home for a few days is fucking essential to me right now. I basically had to just get over major work anxiety to tell my manager theres one 4 hr shift i couldnt do bcus id be home. I dont give a shit about xmas songs or the religious aspect of it. Im not even massively fond of the gift exchange thing but its nice enough. But going home for a few days fuckin rocks and i realise im lucky enough to have a family i really wanna see.

ok im done.

say Hello to Wales for me. I used to know how to say a few things in Welsh from when we went there for holidays, but now I only remember "Cariad"

but not how to spell it!

:rofl: . No look, your sis is right, it is never too early to start planning photo ops, her public is waiting, it might go viral. The more separate parcels the better.

These people sound incredibly spoiled. Griping about the presentation of a present is very rude. If it were me, I would leave them as is and let them either get over it or not.

Listen to ES she is wise.

Co-signed. Leave 'em as-is.

See, there can now be no doubt!!!

Keep them as you wrapped them and smile, imo. The new photo op thing sounds ridiculous. You must be a very tolerant person to even considering to stand for this. You are giving a gift to them, and it's up to you how to wrap it or not.

She's lucky to have a baby, and a nice sister, and even mentioning the wrapping is just... Bizarre and rude.

7 month old baby.

It was really petty.

Yes, babies cannot unwrap presents but your sister isn't the first parent in the history of the world to want a photo op at baby's first Christmas. All the effort your pettiness took was more than just individually wrapping presents initially. Sometimes you just need to suck it up.

There's a lot of things I hate. I put my big girl pants on and deal with it. Seriously, most of what you are describing sounds to me like a lack of an ability to stand up for yourself. If you don't want a tree, don't get one. If your roommates want one, make them deal with it. If you don't want to take time off, then don't. If you don't want to see your family, then don't. But all decisions come with consequences, so you have to figure out if you want to deal with them or not. There are a million things that I wish I could do that have different consequences, but um, welcome to the real world, I guess?

Archived