I Hate Christmas (Warning: A Tad Bit Explicit)

Sivin

I'm mostly with the OP on this. I don't hate Christmas exactly but while it is great to recieve an awkward call from my extended family one day out of the year they act I'm the prick for not making the call. Fuck you its not like these telephone things don't work the other 364 days of the year.

I hate how I can't get two day rush shipping with amazon prime until the 29th this started on the 22nd seriously guys enough with the extended holiday hours.

I also hate how a news service which used to a serious profession spent 15 minutes at 12 noon talking about Santa's flight path. I don't blame the kids that have spoon feed this bullshit but just once I want to listen to NPR and not have to hear this crap every December 24th. I was going to say I hope someone shoots Santa's ass down but its good to see someone beat me too it.

I do like that end of the year dotation rush at the thrift stores making this next 3 weeks the only time of year you can still find Super NES games.

I have misgiving about Christmas but it is not from the idea that everything should is closed. The obligation of getting presents irks me to an extent but in a different way. I'm one of the few in my family that have managed to not live beyond my means, and by that I mean not going into credit. I don't mind going to get some gifts for someone but at the same time don't want to go overboard with what I buy, or have other people go overboard and buy gifts to show how "generous" they are. Unfortunately, some of my family falls in to the latter when they buy stuff for their friends and family, including my sister who has not managed to live without going into a large amount of debt. I don't want to receive expensive things from her considering her financial state and the fact that she has a kid. It doesn't get drilled into her head when I say "you don't have to worry about me /Spend less".

For other people....I hate gift cards. If I get them they are for stores I don't like and the amounts are not enough for anything I want or need, so it almost seems like I have to buy something I don't want/need or give it away. Giving money is shunned a little because "You didn't put in the effort or thought" into getting a gift when it is usually these same people that don't actually give me solid leads on what they bloody want or need.

I read the OP and immediately remembered my first conversation with the angry man who would (10 yrs later) become my husband. I was a bartender, he a customer sitting at the counter ranting on about Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. I listened only because I was curious how this affable, polite man could hate days of all things. There are plenty of things to get riled up about in our lives, I agree. War. Starvation. Poverty. Child abuse. But days? Then it dawned on me. It wasn't so much the day, but the expectation of forgiveness for the other days of the year where none of the rules for that particular day applied. Christmas is about giving. Giving time; giving paid-for-and-wrapped presents; giving dinners, and so on. Valentine's Day is about saying 'I love you' as expensively as you can afford to.

After my shift was over, I joined him for a drink (at his invitation) and attempted to explain to him how Christmas was vile only if you felt you were expected to concentrate all your 'gift giving' energy into buying gifts. It doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes it can mean listening to people (gift of ears). Sometimes it can be about smiling at complete strangers (gift of awareness). And other times it is about reaching out to people who have no-one/nothing, and sharing your time with them. I can't stress enough about how important people are to each and every one of us, be they strangers, friends, or family, on a day to day basis. Every day is an opportunity for that Christmas experience, or that Valentine's gift of 'I love you', or that Family Day (only in Ontario, mind).

Being an orphan (and diagnosed with endometriosis), I am perplexed when others lament about spending one or two days a year with family.

The best gift anyone can receive at this time of year is just the knowledge that they have worth and are important. Even if it is only for the fact that they pay for part of the rent.

I get what you're saying in that post, but honestly, the post is a rant, and everyone has one of those days/ or has something specific that sets them off, no? Especially about stuff that other people might find silly, or not worth complaining about. I get the 'stiff upper lip' stuff, but meh, we all complain :dunno:

^

Love this post. Giving is not about things.

I agree with Nora. Seems like a lot of the anti-Christmas sentiment is just a lack of communication/taking responsibility/making decisions in general. When a person says someone is 'making them' do something...that's almost always not true.

ETA: I was referring to the post about giving which is two posts above mine :)

I can't say Christmas is a good time of year for me either.

My Gran died of lung cancer at Christmas time 4 years ago, so naturally, she's the first thing that springs to all of our minds at this time of year. But apart from that, it's just an awkward time of year for me. My parents are divorced, so I have to put up with the obligatory snide remarks & pettiness from my dad's lot and some from mum's side too - despite the fact it's been 28 years, so we should be beyond this by now - and every bloody year I get the same 'you need to settle down & get married before you're so old no one wants you' speech from various well meaning, but perhaps unintentionally cruel family members. Which just ends up making me feel like utter crap.

At the end of the day, you've just got to suck it up, plaster a grin on your face and get on with it. It'll be over soon.

You spelt Cariad right Gillio. I'm not a huge fan of the present giving, trees etc but paid time off work is always a win in my book! Plus booze. Always booze.

Thanks, Luke. Mythical languages are important, too!

I remembered bar a brith - fruit toast? And I used to know how to say naughty boy and naughty girl but I don't remember now. I was almost 11 when we left for Australia.

(Sounds like me, remembering the words for food and darling!)

good stuff here.

Take last Christmas Eve, for example; I expertly brush away some thumbtacks that The Devil left below a Christmas tree (for me to step on, that's how these things work) only to look up and see the entire Thompson family of Tacoma, Washington strung up in the rafters, their intestines spilled out onto the floor in the shape of a pentagram. And when I got back on the roof after literally tossing my cookies (they were generic Oreos, so no big loss), wouldn't you know that all the reindeer were beheaded and my sack of toys was mysteriously replaced with a wet bag of dead cats. If you're wondering why everyone got dead cats for Christmas last year, that's why. I was afraid to tell you that the Devil had gotten the better of me, but here we are.

oh, satan.

oh, santa.

Yes, babies cannot unwrap presents but your sister isn't the first parent in the history of the world to want a photo op at baby's first Christmas. All the effort your pettiness took was more than just individually wrapping presents initially. Sometimes you just need to suck it up.

If I had accepted an invitation requesting as many wrapped gifts as possible in order to stage a photo op that was some sort of pinterest copy thing, I'd be agreeable to this. All I did was agree to attend the usual xmas family thing where the typical expectation is that the adults sit back for a moment while the little ones have their holiday documented. My gift wrapped in a single box was not going to prevent my sister from documenting her child's first xmas.

To everyone, thanks for the comments. I decided that I had suitably released my frustration with the wrapping session but, apart from it not being the point I wanted to make, I started worrying how all the other kids would feel about the baby receiving what appeared to be so many presents. There are twelve kids under 10 and no one really wants to deal with overstimulated kids wondering why Kid X received more gifts than they did. So, single box and then advised sister to wait until everyone arrives so she could use all of the gifts they brought for her photo op thingy. I definitely laugh at myself for not thinking of that to start with.

Every time you wish for a white Christmas, you're wishing for DOT workers to be pulled away from their family dinners to work, you bastards.

The snow is falling, the plows are out, and the Indonesian restaurant is doing good business.

Christmas is always good times. I got new hiking boots and an electric griddle so i'm a happy guy right now. I did pick out a negative which i thought would be good to bring up here (since this is the Christmas bitch thread :) )

Christmas eve always starts at church which totally sucks! I've become a twice a year catholic and i really cant stand going to church anymore. People are cutting you off in the parking lot and i'm supposed to be all nicey nice? Half the grown men in the place are sitting down while women with children and elderly folks have to stand? The priest takes 25 minutes on his sermon and spends the whole time throwing out guilt trips for not coming to confession... Then I'm supposed to hold hands during the Our Father, shake hands with random strangers during peace and eat bread from the hands of some lady who was sneezing up at the alter. I'm definitely going to get sick now. Everything about Christmas is good - family, presents, food... I dont even mind putting the kids trampoline together but church is the worst!

Wow, it's only when everyone's left and the house is empty that I realize how much I appreciated their company.

And what happened then--well, in Whoville they say

That the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

And then the true meaning of Christmas came through,

And the Grinch found the strength of ten Grinches--plus two...

Archived