Stannis/Agamemnon parallels and Shireen's fate

Mladen

The major prob with the wayHBO did this is 2 fold in my opinion.

1. They had Stannis character portrayed as a loving father to Shireen. In the books this is not established as such. Yes yes yes "but the books are separate from the show" and apparently people think that gives them free reign with the character and his logic. Stannis was is and always will be a man of justice an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. His whole existence is based on being fare, honest, lawful, and unwavering. If he makes a decision not to sac Shireen ( which he did in both the show and the books), he would not go back on his decision. Also how can he go on saying he is a just and lawful man when he himself brutally murders a child in cold blood? This is character breaking

2. There was little to no result from her burning. Oh the ice and snow melted...really? thats the extent of it? Lame. If something happens later on , that still doesnt excuse them ending the season with such a weak cause/ effect.

1. They had Stannis character portrayed as a loving father to Shireen. In the books this is not established as such. Yes yes yes "but the books are separate from the show" and apparently people think that gives them free reign with the character and his logic. Stannis was is and always will be a man of justice an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. His whole existence is based on being fare, honest, lawful, and unwavering. If he makes a decision not to sac Shireen ( which he did in both the show and the books), he would not go back on his decision. Also how can he go on saying he is a just and lawful man when he himself brutally murders a child in cold blood? This is character breaking

2. There was little to no result from her burning. Oh the ice and snow melted...really? thats the extent of it? Lame. If something happens later on , that still doesnt excuse them ending the season with such a weak cause/ effect.

In the books, Stannis claims he will not allow his men to sacrifice criminals with the intent of clearing up the storm (the much-cited "pray harder" dialogue). Lo and behold, he relents and allows those criminals to be burned.

There was little to no (supernatural) result from Shireen's burning because Stannis is not the champion of R'hllor. I feel quite strongly that the sacrifice will have a major benefit to Azor Ahai in season six... "only death can pay for life." I disagree that it's a "weak cause/ effect" for something to pay off next season. In the books and show, plot threads are often not paid off for hundreds of pages/dozens of episodes.

And the burning DID have "results," just not supernatural ones. The desertion of Stannis' army and the suicide of Selyse led Melisandre to realize Stannis is not Azor Ahai, and her abandonment combined with the two earlier consequences, and the act of the sacrifice itself, clearly broke Stannis. Those are "results."

I definitely think D&D made some mistakes in season 5, but Stannis' storyline, as much as it horrified me to watch in the last two episodes, was not one of them.

About a year, I stunned people on a thread about Shireen’s fate when I talked about possibility that Stannis might sacrifice her “for the greater good”. The argument I think I have found during my research for Animal project is a parallel with the Greek myth of Agamemnon and Iphigenia, which transfers to Stannis and Shireen.

Great Job! I had to laugh – so many of my first posts on the Forum were flamed – hurling balls of fire, I might say!

Here is one: In 2012, I dared to assert that Arya will join the Mummers and Izembarro will be the director/stage manager!

I so agree that the show portraying him as a loving father was awful. They just did it to multiply the shock value... which the more I think about it, the more vulgar it seems. I'm not saying that Book Stannis will be cool as a cucumber if he is indeed the one to order her to be burned, but still, that touching moment in the show makes me sick.

Archived