R+L=J v.123

Jon Weirgaryen

Yet no one said Ned loved her most of all, and then used that ad an argument.

I'm all for it :)

Except that's exactly how it's used. Saying Ned loved her with all of his heart is writing a blank cheque on what you'll let Ned do in your theory, as he loved her with all of his heart and would therefore do anything for her. Telling lies and dishonoring himself and his wife is no problem under this assumption as Ned would do anything for the girl he loved with all of his heart.

Acknowledging that it was possible for Ned to have loved her more, as he clearly indicates was possible by saying that Robert loved her more than he did, changes everything. It takes what is presented as a certainty, and changes it to a possibility. And that's a huge difference.

Except that's exactly how it's used. Saying Ned loved her with all of his heart is writing a blank cheque on what you'll let Ned do in your theory, as he loved her with all of his heart and would therefore do anything for her. Telling lies and dishonoring himself and his wife is no problem under this assumption as Ned would do anything for the girl he loved with all of his heart.

Acknowledging that it was possible for Ned to have loved her more, as he clearly indicates was possible by saying that Robert loved her more than he did, changes everything. It takes what is presented as a certainty, and changes it to a possibility. And that's a huge difference.

No, it doesn't. Ned must have loved Jobs mother fiercely, and Ned had loved her (Lyanna) with all his heart.. these two say nothing about no one else loving Lyanna. That Robert had loved her more, does not change anything about the fact that Ned had loved her with all his heart. Does his love mean less because he wasn't the only one who loved her?

Later on, Ned, despite knowing that Robert had loved Lyanna more than he himself had, admits that Robert had loved who he thought Lyanna had been.. Ned had known exactly who Lyanna was, and what she had been like, but Robert hadn't. Robert had loved the girl he thought she had been more than Ned loved the girl she had actually been.

And nothing about that changes the fact that Ned states in his thoughts that he had loved Lyanna with all his heart, and that he must have loved Jons mother fiercely.

Besides Lyanna (and obviously Catelyn), is Ned described loving (or having loved) any other woman who could be Jons mother?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to propose. What are the similarities, because I can't see any relevant?

Live and learn, if you are willing :P

My point was that if you're going to stretch Ned loved her with all his heart to justify lying to the whole world about dishonoring himself and his wife, you should acknowledge that Ned isn't the person in the series who actually loved Lyanna best. Because if Ned didn't love her best, then that limits just how far that you can say he would go for her.

A wrong connection again. Lyanna was family and Ned loved her, that suffices. When else do we see Ned lie? Claiming that Cat abducted Tyrion at his command, which basically constitutes treason because he lies to his king, to protect Cat; confessing treason he didn't commit and professing Joffrey as a true heir, to protect Sansa. He definitely didn't love Sansa best of his children to do this for her, he loved them all.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to propose. What are the similarities, because I can't see any relevant?

Then we'll show you.

Omgosh. We have an agenda for 124! (Need to quickly do a re-read of those chapters, but yay!!!)

Archived