Why Do People Dislike Bran?

Caesar Targaryen

The show necessarily amplifies the biggest problem with Bran's book storyline: namely, that the rate of plot advancement is as slow as cold molasses. The most interesting parts of Bran's storyline (post-ACOK, anyway) are the pieces of Westerosi history and glimpses of magic. Otherwise, he's basically waiting until GRRM gets to "Book Two" of his original trilogy.

If I lost the use of my legs, I wouldn't up and jump off towards the Wall and beyond. I would try to debate that I could use my legs again.

Yes, I agree in principal (from my own experience) but he ran out of time. Tyrion did design a saddle for him. Given the opportunity, perhaps more could have been done, especially with Tyrion's help.

I am not defending Bran. I am biased against him by the actor who portrays him - I really don't like him.

Bran has a lot to deal with psychologically. He has lost the use of his legs and his dream of being a knight because of it. Add to that, the loss of his family and his way of life, forever gone. We don't know how much he knows about green-seers. Probably only what Jojen and perhaps Old Nan told him. His living conditions are deplorable. It's cold. He doesn't have good nutrition. Even his bodily functions are hard to do. He has to be confused about everything that has happened and is happening. He is just a little kid. Any one of those things would be hard for an adult to handle.

But it is not our story to tell. It is GRRM's. All we can do is wait and see what he does with the character.

From what I've heard, it's mainly show-only watchers that dislike Bran, and that's purely because they don't like the whole mystical side of Game of Thrones.

Personally I love Bran and all of his mystical-ness.

Right on the mark. Except there are book readers who also don't like the mystical things. You'll see a thread every once in awhile saying "What if da berks doesn't has magicks and dregons init??" which would basically take out most of the real story.

He's one of my favourites (with Dany and Sansa) and I feel like the few chapters he had on ADWD were outstanding. Especially the last felt very poetic. As an animal lover I love the constant warging experiences he has and his walk in the wilderness. I'd love to hear more about the place the Reeds come from, too. Some of his chapters in ACOK were horrible, though.

I can understand why some people find him boring: like Dany, he has very little to do with the rest of the story.

In my opinion Bran will arguably be the MOST IMPORTANT character in the entire series by the end. Like someone said before, BR could have chosen anyone to lead to the cave. He chose Bran. He is destined to do great things. The only question left in my mind, will those "great" things be good or evil. I think it is still up in the air.

His storyline has been painfully slow. Maybe GRRM could have sped it along some but I think the payoff for that storyline is going to be among the most rewarding in the series.

Bran was fairly bland for me until Jojen and Meera showed up, and then it was because of those two I was interested and that has been the case until he gets to the cave and then it is the situation that is interesting more than Bran himself, but I do not dislike him.

I dont "hate" any characters in these wonderful books.

But I do admit i'm one of the readers who find Brans arc discomforting.

The Jojen companion was annoying to me, and Meera and Osha's earlier rivalry or tension, if you will,

was something I didnt like, being a fan of Osha, it made me annoyed with Meera.

Then there was Brans single minded trudging on and deciding against revealing himself to Jon when they were in near vicinity. I cant picture a real person in such dillema, deciding against seeking out the comfort of

seeing an immediate family member under such circumstance.

Coupling these situations with the later stages of Brans arc where he is metamorphising currently .

The tree/cave, weirwood/seer/demigod thing, is well,

just creepy for me at this stage of overall story.

I'm holding out hope, with open mind, that I will apreciate something in Bran's future story though.

I have decent faith in this author to interest me.

Just never been a believer in visions, fortune telling type stories,

too much of a sceptic to go down that rabbit hole.

Honestly, you nailed part of it for me--Jojen was an annoying little git. I was over him very quickly, especially with how everyone else had to kowtow to him.

Right on the mark. Except there are book readers who also don't like the mystical things. You'll see a thread every once in awhile saying "What if da berks doesn't has magicks and dregons init??" which would basically take out most of the real story.

I don't get why people don''t love the magic/mystical things; I seriously find it so interesting. I love anything to do with the Faceless God, and it's so fascinating reading Bran's dreams and visions.

Plus, there is nothing I would love more than to be a warg, it makes me so jealous reading about it.

It baffles me as much as you. I always considered Bran a likable character, one of the few characters who is genuinely a good person.

I haven't watched the TV Series, so I don't know if an annoying child actor is the reason or if it is something else.

There's a child actor (or, at this point, teen actor), but he's not annoying at all.

Except, I guess, for people who hate child actors in general. I don't think a 35-year old actor would've been convincing as a 10-year old, so tough luck, guys, sometimes you just have to deal with seeing actual children on screen.

The thing is with Bran he's really bland compared to all the other POV's and 90% of his story his him walking around with Jojen and Meera talking about the histories of the north and the Starks. I could forgive him for being boring if he was surrounded by some interesting characters, but all we get is grumpy bland Jojen, Meera (who doesn't really do anything except tell stories) and Hodor. Who just stands their and says "hodor" every f*kng couple of lines.

Archived