Why Do People Dislike Bran?

Caesar Targaryen

With regards to the "boring" aspect of Bran's chapters, we talked about recently over in the current Bran Re-read project and I think the slow factor is very deliberate on GRRM's part.

Bran is simply "boring" because nothing happens when you look at him versus other main characters like Jon, Dany, or Tyrion in ACOK and ASOS. But I actually think that's the point. Bran is almost-literally stationary and so his narrative reflects that. He can't move on his own, so his own story has to be propelled by outside forces that "carry" him onward. The only way Bran leaves WF and set out toward his own adventure is because someone else (Theon) enters the scene and forces him to move on. Bran can't set out on his own because he is crippled so thus his narrative arc can only move when someone that is not Bran moves it.

If he had more chapters, he'd probably be my favourite character. He's sitting firmly at no.4 right now. I have a feeling that after the next two books he'll have moved up a few spots on most people's lists. I partially agree with King Stannis the Mannis (though I detected a touch of sarcasm in his post) in that every other chapter in the books is filler until the next Bran chapter.

Archived