What makes you think that Mel will try to...

Mithras

... heal/resurrect Jon with some sort of blood sacrifice? She has been seeing Jon in her fires for a long time now. What if she deduces that it must be Jon whom she needs to roast as he is the only one with kingsblood available to her right now?

She probably knows that Mance's baby is far away. Now that Jon will be gravely injured and close to death, it might be the perfect time to burn an already dead man with precious kingsblood to send Stannis the dragon he needs.

Well, technically he has king's blood - the blood of the Kings of Winter and he's the half-brother to the King In The North. It's not been made clear how the king's blood works - but that may count.

But I don't think she'd sacrifice him. She repeatedly tried to council him. She even tried to hint at his warging capabilities by telling him to keep Ghost close. She very much seemed to want Jon alive.

Why? We've seen Thoros of Myr do the resurrection thing already and Mel doesn't know Jon has king's blood. All she knows is she keeps seeing Jon instead of Stannis in her AAR visions.

All the Starks have kingsblood. She has a terrible track record of interpreting the visions.

Just to play devil's advocate, we don't know Jon has King's blood either.

Well, Mel does have reason to assume he does as Ned's bastard. He's then the descendant of kings and half-brother to a king. As far as the readers know, this is true too - there's just reason for us to suspect that he might not be Ned's son.

Well Mel has been wrong NUMEROUS times. I guess this would just be the next time. I always hoped it would be Val that somehow raised Jon from the dead, not because of any shipping. I would just love for someone to flex the Old Gods power and Val is a good candidate. Perhaps she will after Mel attempts to set Jon on fire.

Well Mel has been wrong NUMEROUS times. I guess this would just be the next time. I always hoped it would be Val that somehow raised Jon from the dead, not because of any shipping. I would just love for someone to flex the Old Gods power and Val is a good candidate. Perhaps she will after Mel attempts to set Jon on fire.

Oh, I have been thinking for a long time that Val will be involved in Jon's healing (I don't think he will die and so need resurrection).

My theory is that Jon will be mistaken for dead and put to an ice cell. Mel will probably know that he is not dead yet and try to take him before he dies. However, Val will escape and smuggle Jon out with the help of Wun Wun before Mel can lay her hands on him. Val will take Jon to the weirwood grove or to the weirwood tree at the Whitetree village and there Bran/Bloodraven will heal Jon. I think Ghost will be sacrificed to heal Jon similar to Lady's sacrifice was used by BR to heal Bran.

I think she'll try to heal or resurrect him or set Ghost on his attackers or all three. She has been seeing Jon in her fires but not only as a misinterpretation of Azor Ahai. She also sees him as being in danger and warns him of it several times.

It is no accident that it is known that Jon walks freely around the compound of Castle Black without any guards to protect him. He is an easy mark. For whatever reason, be it king's blood or just lust, Melisandre has a reason for wanting Jon Snow to live.

We really don't know all that much about her other than she was a slave.

I don't recall this... could you please elaborate? Thanks! :)

The TV show made Bran's awakening and Lady's death simultaneous. In the book, they are not simultenous but very close. However, Bloodraven said that time is perceived differently by a tree. So, a couple of days between the sacrifice and the usage of that sacrifice to do magic do not matter. I think Lady's death was used by Bloodraven as a blood sacrifice to heal Bran. Same thing will happen to Jon and Ghost.

Eh, I don't know. I mean, I know this is Mel we're talking about, but she doesn't lack for available kingsblood. She has Gerrick and his daughters who are, on the whole, more expendable than the LC of the Watch. Also, Stannis would be pissed as hell if she burns his new BFF

We should also note that Jon made it very clear that he does not trust Mel anymore and he regrets trusting her with the Mance mission. Whatever Mel was trying to do with him (which were shadowbabies), she could not hope to do that anymore. So, whether his seeds or his blood, Mel is in desperate need of Jon. Since Jon is not in good shape to have sex, it narrows down the options.

Eh, I don't know. I mean, I know this is Mel we're talking about, but she doesn't lack for available kingsblood. She has Gerrick and his daughters who are, on the whole, more expendable than the LC of the Watch. Also, Stannis would be pissed as hell if she burns his new BFF

All the wildlings know that Gerrick was not descended from Raymun but his brother who was never a king. I do not doubt that Mel or Selyse do not know that.

All the wildlings know that Gerrick was not descended from Raymun but his brother who was never a king. I do not doubt that Mel or Selyse do not know that.

Selyse, at least, most definitely doesn't know that. She calls Mance an usurper and even wants to marry her brother and her knights to Gerrick's daughters. Mel could be just as mislead, considering GRRM makes it a point to highlight how little the southerners understand of the free folk, and the fact that she is, well, Mel, and her track record is not that accurate

There's also a little bit of potential foreshadowing/double entendre when Jon says Gerrick's daughters are all "kissed by fire", which could suggest they'll end up in Mel and Selyse's big barbecue in honor of Queen Shireen

The TV show made Bran's awakening and Lady's death simultaneous. In the book, they are not simultenous but very close. However, Bloodraven said that time is perceived differently by a tree. So, a couple of days between the sacrifice and the usage of that sacrifice to do magic do not matter. I think Lady's death was used by Bloodraven as a blood sacrifice to heal Bran. Same thing will happen to Jon and Ghost.

Thanks. :)

But Lady wasn't killed under a wierwood, nor did Ned clean the blade in the Godswood under the wierwood, so how could this have been a blood sacrifice? :)

Selyse, at least, most definitely doesn't know that. She calls Mance an usurper and even wants to marry her brother and her knights to Gerrick's daughters. Mel could be just as mislead, considering GRRM makes it a point to highlight how little the southerners understand of the free folk, and the fact that she is, well, Mel, and her track record is not that accurate

There's also a little bit of potential foreshadowing/double entendre when Jon says Gerrick's daughters are all "kissed by fire", which could suggest they'll end up in Mel and Selyse's big barbecue in honor of Queen Shireen

My take is that Selyse knows it very well but prefers to ignore it. The wildlings came with Tormund didnot accept Stannis as their king or Rhlorr as their god as the other wildlings did before. They outnumber the NW and Selyse's forces greatly. Gerrick's installment as the king of the wildlings happened after this event. Selyse probably thinks that Jon is playing the game to be the King-Beyond-the-Wall. There are precedents for that. What is funny is that if they hear and believe the Bael the Bard story, Jon's claim to be King-beyond-the-Wall become even better. In short, Team Selyse considers Jon as a dangerous rival and that is why they produced Gerrick as the rightful king of the wildlings. I am sure that after Gerrick was roasted, his eldest daughter will become the queen and Axell will be her king consort.

Of course, I was talking from the POV of Team Selyse here because this line of thought about the wildlings is utter BS; something can perfectly be expected from "southron fools" like Selyse. They know nothing.

Archived