The Winds of Winter - Probable Contents

ManyFacedCloak

From what we know, The Winds of Winter begins with two battles -

1) The Battle of Winterfell
2) The Battle of Slaver's Bay

With respect to the Battle of Slaver's Bay, we have the following PoVs revealed till now:
1) 2 Barristan Selmy PoVs
2) 2 Tyrion Lannister PoVs
3) 2 Victarion Greyjoy PoVs

As far as the Battle of Winterfell is concerned, we need to have the Battle of Ice first (provided Stannis' side wins in that)

From what we know, there are two Arianne Martell PoVs too, and I came across some comments on a topic that GRRM intends to now cover The Battle of Storm's End via a Jon Connington PoV. (Can someone please link that interview?)

All these battles will consist of a great chunk of TWOW, and then there's a probable mutiny in the Night's Watch, the trials of the two Queens, Arya's FM training, the Vale storyline, and Daenerys probable travels to Vaes Dothrak. It seems as if she'll leave for Westeros at the end of TWOW. Or do you think that it'll be in the middle of the sixth book?

The more and more I think about it, the more convinced I get that GRRM is going to have a very difficult time wrapping up this series in 2 more books. There is still a crap-ton of plot lines that do not even seem close to being completed yet. I'm hoping that the final two books don't have a "rushed" feeling to them due to GRRM's need to cram and finish everything in two novels. He may need a third.

I believe (hope) Dany will land in Westeros in the middle of the book. She needs to deal with the Dothraki and have some correspondence with her fellows in Meereen, but I don't see why that should take up all of the book, not if it's going to be the size of ASOS. Also, battles, while very important and employing many chapters (Battle fo the Blackwater), do not take up as much size as one might think, since the chapters only covering a mayor battle generally is a little shorter than average.

That said, I believe he will need three books to finish the series.

The more and more I think about it, the more convinced I get that GRRM is going to have a very difficult time wrapping up this series in 2 more books. There is still a crap-ton of plot lines that do not even seem close to being completed yet. I'm hoping that the final two books don't have a "rushed" feeling to them due to GRRM's need to cram and finish everything in two novels. He may need a third.

Yeah, aside from the main plot, he also needs to adress the FM conspiracy and the Maester conspiracy.

I believe (hope) Dany will land in Westeros in the middle of the book.

No way. Dothraki - at least two chapters. Return to Meeren and meet Tyrion/Marwin/Vic etc. - few more. Decisions, new alliances, leaving Meeren... And then she has to traver half way across the world. Propably visit Volantis and Pentos.

Yeah, aside from the main plot, he also needs to adress the FM conspiracy and the Maester conspiracy.

But they need not be resolved. They can be "ongoing" when the series finishes. I don't think there's going to be a "and they lived happily ever after"-feeling at the end of book 7. These sort of ongoing plots against the crown/dragons/targaryens could be left hanging over the king even at the very end.

No way. Dothraki - at least two chapters. Return to Meeren and meet Tyrion/Marwin/Vic etc. - few more. Decisions, new alliances, leaving Meeren... And then she has to traver half way across the world. Propably visit Volantis and Pentos.

But those events will likely be seen not only from Dany's POV, but Tyrion, Victarion and/or Barristans as well. That will increase the chance of the Essosi storylines being taken care of quickly. Either way, GRRM needs to get Dany's forces to Westeros quickly if this Second Dance of Dragons will have a chance to occur without interfering with the Battle for the Dawn and the potential Invasion by the Others. Or perhaps GRRM inteds for the two to occur simultaneously? I don't know, but I would prefer if they were two separate arcs.

Couldn't agree with this more. Plus IMHO ADWD dragged on forever then everybody died in the end without adding too much to the story. So given the pace of the last book, and after five books the Lannisters & Starks still have no idea they were played, just don't see this series wrapping up with just two more books.

But those events will likely be seen not only from Dany's POV, but Tyrion, Victarion and/or Barristans as well. That will increase the chance of the Essosi storylines being taken care of quickly. Either way, GRRM needs to get Dany's forces to Westeros quickly if this Second Dance of Dragons will have a chance to occur without interfering with the Battle for the Dawn and the potential Invasion by the Others. Or perhaps GRRM inteds for the two to occur simultaneously? I don't know, but I would prefer if they were two separate arcs.

GRRM has said that Tyrion and Dany will meet but they will be apart for most of the book. So don't exepect the entire Meerenees knot just be friends and go West together any time soon)

I think it's possible to have Dance and Battle of the Dawn in one book. If the number of POV's will decrease to 10-12 in beginning of ADOS. Plus the character will continue to come together, making the story go faster. A Storm of Swords had tons of major events. And Dreams will probably have less POV's at lest by the middle of the book and less independent isolated storylines.

GRRM has said that Tyrion and Dany will meet but they will be apart for most of the book. So don't exepect the entire Meerenees knot just be friends and go West together any time soon)

I know. That's why I believe it will go fairly quick. Dany will deal with the Dothraki, Tyrion with the Meereenese, then they will meet, and then possibly separate again on the way to Westeros. Either way, I don't think it willl take the entire book for them to get moving West.

I think it's possible to have Dance and Battle of the Dawn in one book. If the number of POV's will decrease to 10-12 in beginning of ADOS. Plus the character will continue to come together, making the story go faster. A Storm of Swords had tons of major events. And Dreams will probably have less POV's at lest by the middle of the book and less independent isolated storylines.

I believe GRRM will need one moe book to end the series though. In fact I would prefer it, so that the Second Dance of the Dragons does not occur concurrently with the Battle for the Dawn.

The thing is there are quite a lot of POV, Characters and plot lines and a lot of things waiting to happen - here is what I think are the main points:

Meereenes knot -

• Slavers bay - There is the battle of Meereen which be in the beginning to mid TWOW. The harpy , Victarion and the dragon horn, the sellswords company, Marwyn , Moqorro, Jorah - t his needs resolution. There is also the issue of possible slave revolt in Volantis.
  • Dany and the Dothraki - Probably a travel to Vais Dothrak. She will either go back to Meereen or directly to Westeros (if she is coming back).

There is a good chance Dany is not returning to Westeros also in this book which puts DoD 2.0 in doubt.he

Northern knot - the northren plot seems like much more of a knot then Meereen....

• Stannis vs. Bolton - with all the schemes and plot of the different lords choosing and switching sides.
  • The wildlings & the watch - I suppose Jon has ended his role as a player in northern politcis. If he is coming back, its to fight the others. until he does, there is going to be a mess with the wildlings and the watch.
  • Davos/Rickon plot - this may not or may not progress in TWOW.
  • Asha/Theon/Jeyne - Something has to happen with Theon and Asha, Jeyne can stay fArya for now.
  • The Iron bank dude - the guy has to have some impact on the plot

Bottom line, I think we are going to see a lot of north in TWOW.

Southern knot - Most complex of them all , probably not to be solved in TWOW

• Tyrell vs Lannisters - trials of queens and the consequences of it, Robert Strong and all. There are also the sandsnakes interfering with KL politics.
  • Aegon - Taking over Storm's end, potential alliance with Dorne
  • Euron and the IB - no idea where this is going. Probably ends up being related to Dany & the dragons as well.

As each one of these sub plots is from different POV I suspect we are going to see a lot of this as well.

I don't see DoD 2.0 happening with this setting and with Dany still being away. At most, TWOW can be a preparation for it.

Riverlands - LS, Jaime, Freys - we can expect lots of dead Freys and perhaps freeing of RW captives which is needed to progress the northern plot. I believe LS would end up meeting one of her children, probably Arya or Sansa, but if it happens

The Vale/Sansa - I personally don't expect lots of progress on this plot on TWOW, but there will be some Sansa chapters in the book.

Arya - same as Sansa. Don't expect much progress in TWOW.

Big Game/The Others -

• Bran/BR - In addition to COTF/BR and their role in the big game we will probably see some more character development for Bran
  • Sam/Citadel/FM - Hopefully at least one chapter to give us more details on what's going on there and expose some important secrets about Dragons or the Others
  • Jon/Mel/Sheereen

And on top of it all, there are the Others themselves and their current actions.

You are going to need a very big book to handle all these - I suspect we are going to see a lot of North & Meereen, some progress on the south and very few other things. But this is all speculation.

GRRM already proved he can turn things on their heads when he wants to.

Here are some things I think may happen in TWOW:

1) Shireen will die

2) Jon lives and becomes heir to Winterfell

3) Deanarys becomes more like her father the mad King

4) Gendry becomes Robert's legitimate heir

5) Theon/Reek will become a spy for Stannis

6) Mya will escape with little Robert

7) Littlefinger will Marry Sansa

8) The Others attack the wall and it begins to crumble

9) Benjen Stark is alive

10) Aegon will be determined to marry Daenarys and not anyone else

11) The Onion King returns to Stannis with Rickon

12) Jamie escapes from the BWB

Here is hoping that GRRM in Winds

In Essos

1. Sorts out Mereen and has Dany and Tyrion together at least arriving in Westeros (4 chapers)

2. Finds at least one more dragon rider

3. Progresses Arya's story so that she becomes her destiny - Nymeria. Not sure WHO she is going to lead home to Westeros - perhaps the wilding slaves but I want her to at least meet them (3 chapters)

Beyond the Wall

4. Finds Benjen (1 chapter)

5. Goes to the heart of Winter and lets us know who and what the others are (2 chapters)

6. Partly resolves the Night King Story

7. Progress Bran to the point where we know where he is going - tree or Brandon the Re-builder (2 chapters)

At the Wall/Winterfell

8. Restores Jon to good health and has him resolve his future again - ie NW or Lord (2 chapters)

9. Have Winter properly arrive and do its damage

10. Find Rickon and bring him into the story (2 chapters)

11. Finally tell us who Jon's parents are - perhaps last chapter of the book but still tell us

12. Explain pink letter (1 chapter) and resolve Mance

13. Battle of Winterfell (2 chapters)

Rest of the North

14. Kill off Roose or Ramsay or both

15. Either remove the suspicions about Dustins/Boltons and dark magic or make them apparent

16. Resolve Theon, Asha, Jeyne - kill them or whatever but resolve them and move them from the main plot line (1 chapter)

17. Introduce Howland Reed (1 chapter)

18. Why is Moat Coallin important?

Vale/Riverlands

19. Progress sansa - good or bad but define her clearly 2 chapters

20. Royces and Corbreys

21. Kill LS, sort out Brienne and Jaime 1 chapter

Content I'm expecting:

1. Battle at Slaver's Bay

2. Battle of Winterfell

3. Something happening between Dany and Khal Jhaqo. Dany will survive their encounter.

4. Sansa marrying someone

5. Two Sand Snakes wreaking havoc upon King's Landing (so looking forward to that)

6. Arianne meeting fAegon

7. Arianne marrying fAegon

8. Tommen and Myrcella die

9. Margaery marries fAegon in a polygamous marriage

10. fAegon gaining some victory and support, JonCon dies of greyscale and then fAegon gets killed

11. Bran finding out about R+L=J

12. Rickon being found by Davos

13. Jeyne Westerling dies

I'm expecting this to be "a time for wolves"

1. Jon warging Ghost until his resurrection

2. Bran honing/using his jedi mind tricks

3. Arya abandoning her training and coming back to Westeros

4. Sansa will rule the vale, winterfell, and casterly rock

5. Rickon come back with Davos and help Stannis take Winterfell

6. Howland Reed being revealed as the High Septon and having a northern army (Sparrows) already in place in KL

6A. Robb's will being announced (Jon Snow becoming Jon Stark, King in the North)

Other things I want to see:

1. Single Combat between Barristan and Victarion

2. Single Combat between 'Robert Strong' and 'The Gravedigger'

3. Singe Combat between Jaime and Brienne

4. Cersei's prophecies coming to fruition (Myrcella and Tommen dying and being replaced as Queen)

5. Dany's return to Westeros

6. Dragons and Others/Whitewalkers/Wights invade the 7 kingdoms

lots of death,major build up to the battle of ice, return of rickon(who will display signs of the nutjob he will become), large hints at the growth of the faith militant as an army to eradicate the growth of magic.And melisandre will use stannis`s blood for something!

Archived