Mossovy, CotF?

Yeah I don't see these two as connected. Fused stone is a totally unique technique that only one people can do, that we have been told - Valyrians, or proto-Valyrians. It's strongly implied that dragon fire is necessary to make fused stone. Ancient Lorath is all quarried stone, and we aren't given any indication that it is balck - the picture shows tan looking stone, FWIW.

To me the fused stone with utilitarian design is proto-Valyrian - the five forts, Oldtown fort. Those do not match any characteristics of the greasy black stone locations, which do not have fused stone and are associated with very dark necromancy and the like. I think this may be the work of the Golden Empire of the Dawn, my best guess for proto-Valyrians.

There must be at least two people with the technique to do fused black stone. Valyrians made it with dragonfire. But since there are pre-valyrian buildings with fused black stone (Five Forts, and Hightower), then there must have been pre-valyrian dragonriders. We have tales of Ancient Asshai dragonriders. simplest explanation is that they were the pre-valyrian builders of black fused stone.

I agree that fused is not oily black stone. My take is that Oily black stone, is black stone made by dragonriders, corrupted somehow by deep ones. but who knows?

I agree that fused is not oily black stone. My take is that Oily black stone, is black stone made by dragonriders, corrupted somehow by deep ones. but who knows?

But then wouldn't all of the oily stone be fused as well? But Yeen is made of massive blocks of oily stone.

true, but neither Valyrians nor Ancient Asshai made things in that maze-like way. No other Black stone building (oily or just fused) is described like that..If Ancient Asshai made things with mazes, then at least the Five forts would have that aspect described.

Yet the Hightower has both aspects, fused black stone, and maze protections as Lorath buildings.

Simplest explanation would be that both peoples contributed to that construction, since it has both elements..

The Five Forts could be like that for all we know. We know nothing about their interior and what's inside them, probably on account of the fact that they're on the very edge of the known world.

But then wouldn't all of the oily stone be fused as well? But Yeen is made of massive blocks of oily stone.

i don´t know, the "certain likeness" between oily and fused stone as the hightower chapter describes, makes me think they are related.. but as you say, maybe oily stone is just a deep one creation, period, with no relationship with fused dragonstone.

Archived