January 2015 Reading Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

More Locke Lamora is always the best choice. Lies is still perhaps the book I think has the fewest problems even if I personally can't identify a "favourite" installment, but the banter and conning continue to sparkle. Onwards to more Lynch! A break might be advisable though, as the third book does not end ... one hundred percent conclusively, and the next installment is currently doing the Release Date Tango of Elusiveness +2.

I love Valente's Fairyland books! I found that I had to take breaks -- her style is like candy for me, and I can make myself sick with it if I overindulge -- but you have much awesomeness ahead of you in the next one!

Currently wading through Katherine Harber's super-gothy faerie fantasy debut novel Thorn Jack, and I'm sorry to say it's proving quite a struggle. I love celtic faerie myth and I love supernatural creepiness, so this should be pig-in-shit reading time -- except for the trope where the supernatural boyfriend is all "IT IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO LOVE ME I WILL RUN AWAY FROM YOU NOW BUT THEN BE BACK TONIGHT TO LURK UNDER YOUR WINDOW!" which is never welcome -- but it's executed in a way that I find thudding and clunky and pretty much totally ineffective. I will by God finish, because there are one or two cool ideas in here, but right now I'm finding it tough not to go skating off to the internet for distraction ammunition every five minutes.

Just finished Promises Broken, a The 4400 tie-in by David Mack. I enjoyed most of it, the completion of the Marked's storyarc and the battle in Seattle. Yet, it was frustrating to read the cliffhangers in the last chapter. The book is over 5 years old, so I doubt that I will ever be able to read the resolution of those issues.

Also, I am about a third of the way into City of Stairs. I highly enjoy all the world building, but once Shara steps on scene to investigate the murder mystery, I'm bored to tears.

Also, I am about a third of the way into City of Stairs. I highly enjoy all the world building, but once Shara steps on scene to investigate the murder mystery, I'm bored to tears.

Stick with it. IIRC, it's about 40-45% in before things really start kicking off.

More Locke Lamora is always the best choice. Lies is still perhaps the book I think has the fewest problems even if I personally can't identify a "favourite" installment, but the banter and conning continue to sparkle. Onwards to more Lynch! A break might be advisable though, as the third book does not end ... one hundred percent conclusively, and the next installment is currently doing the Release Date Tango of Elusiveness +2.

I love Valente's Fairyland books! I found that I had to take breaks -- her style is like candy for me, and I can make myself sick with it if I overindulge -- but you have much awesomeness ahead of you in the next one!

Currently wading through Katherine Harber's super-gothy faerie fantasy debut novel Thorn Jack, and I'm sorry to say it's proving quite a struggle. I love celtic faerie myth and I love supernatural creepiness, so this should be pig-in-shit reading time -- except for the trope where the supernatural boyfriend is all "IT IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO LOVE ME I WILL RUN AWAY FROM YOU NOW BUT THEN BE BACK TONIGHT TO LURK UNDER YOUR WINDOW!" which is never welcome -- but it's executed in a way that I find thudding and clunky and pretty much totally ineffective. I will by God finish, because there are one or two cool ideas in here, but right now I'm finding it tough not to go skating off to the internet for distraction ammunition every five minutes.

I tried to read Red Seas twice, and failed both times. I just couldn't get into it.

The first Fairyland book ended with a nice little nugget that made me want to hunt out the rest of the series immediately. The sequel should turn up this week. In the meantime, I started The Swimmer by Joakim Zander. Seems promising.

About 1/3rd of the way through Memories of Ice. Much, much better than the first two books in the series. Seeing as how much OT I'm working I doubt I'll finish it this month, but I'll hopefully be done w/ it before my vacation in Feb so I don't have to bring that heavy thing w/ me on my trip and instead pack some soft covers :) Anyone read The King's Bastard? It looked intriguing at the bookstore, so I bought it before reading reviews.

I finished Clair North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. I liked it a lot, I think the only bit that I might have preferred to be done differently was that for most of the book Harry was a fairly passive protagonist drifting through his lives although he does eventually find a cause. I think it does make sense given the premise for Harry to be that way but I might have enjoyed his character a bit more if he'd been a little bit more passionate about something. The best of the characterisation was probably the interactions between Harry and Vincent. Comparing it to Replay (hard to avoid given the similarity in premise) I preferred the character development in Replay but The First Fifteen Lives was more interesting in terms of showing the impact on the wider world. I thought the rambling non-linear structure of the book worked well and many of the vignettes showing incidents from Harry's lives were as interesting as the main plot even if they ultimately didn't have much impact on the overall story.

Will probably start Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles yet. Hopefully I'll be able to remember what happened in the previous books.

Just finished Promises Broken, a The 4400 tie-in by David Mack. I enjoyed most of it, the completion of the Marked's storyarc and the battle in Seattle. Yet, it was frustrating to read the cliffhangers in the last chapter. The book is over 5 years old, so I doubt that I will ever be able to read the resolution of those issues.

It was a bit annoying that despite supposedly being written to tie up loose ends from the TV series it did leave a lot unresolved. Despite not being that keen on the book overall I did think the battle in Seattle was reasonably good and could have made a good climax to the season 5 that never was. I was a bit annoyed by two characters forming a romantic relationship in the last few pages, while it wasn't implausible based on their characterisation in the TV series it did feel a bit forced dropping that in right at the end.

This past month I binge-read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It took me a little over 4 weeks to read 3 books, which is a good pace for me.

I thought it was a fantastic series, and had a really nice ending.

My only complaint about Sanderson is that there isn't much humor in those books. There might be one joke per 1000 pages?

I finished Tuf Voyaging by George RR Martin. As this was my first foray of reading his literature outside of ASOIAF, I found it interesting that one of his themes was absolute power corrupts absolutely, much like ASOIAF. And there is a minor character named Jaime, not Jamie, like Jaime Lannister! I liked the first story about Tuf acquired the seedship in the first place the best. GRRM sure has a fertile imagination for some of those monsters!
Since the there is still a hold on the library book I really want to read, I am Malala is up next. It was given to me as a gift and it has been sitting in my to read pile for over a year.

Finished The Name of the Wind a couple of days ago and I absolutly loved it! I love the character of Kvothe and the setting in general. It was interesting reading a novel just based around someone's day to day life. Rothfuss has a way of making you care about every single one of his characters, its amazing! Everything felt so alive and well thought out, from the lonely inn to the maze that is the city of Tarbean. Even the prose is amazing, you can basically find an amazing quote on every single one of the chapters. I still stand by my opinion that this book is basically Oliver Twist meets Harry Potter in Westeros (but not that violent) 10/10

Started reading The Wise Man's Fear and it's keeping the same amazing pace

Started The Bridges of Constantine by Ahlam Mosteghanemi. It's my book for Algeria.....

Interesting, do you like have a blog where you talk about this world-book challenge you're presumably doing. Always wanted to do something similar.

Four books so far this January;

Lord of the Silver Bow by Gemmell. Kinda of cheated, read 99% of it in Decemember and left the last few pages for January so it can count to my reading challenge, i appear to be taking the whole thing way too seriously. Great book, no real surprises but it was executed perfectly. Found myself thinking about it for days afterwards. 8/10

Way of Kings by Sanderson. Well he's clearly a better writer than his Mistborn days but he will probably never be better than workman-like and the dialogue could do with some work; but much like graphics in a videogame i feel that good prose is a happy bonus, as long as its not so bad that it keeps jarring you out of the story then all you're really there for is the story and characters. Or at least I am. And when it comes to world building and magic systems and jaw dropping set pieces then Sanderson always delivers. Characters though.... if this had just been about Kaladin Stormblessed and the Shattered Plains i would have happily given this book a 9 or 10 but Shallan had to go and drag the whole story down. 8.5/10

Words of Radiance by Sanderson. So Shallan's story got better but Kaladin became nothing more than a mopy guard for 500 pages and that got old after the first 50. And the ending was largely unsatisfying which is very rare for Sanderson but there you go. Still, for all i complain i read both books (around 2k worth of pages) in about 5 days. 7/10

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Well the hype is certainly justified, its is an awe-inspiring novel but for me not a particularly enjoyable one. I was expecting a sci-fi action story in the vein of Old Man's War instead of a war story set in space that was every bit as horrific as something like Matterhorn. 9/10

Right now i'm looking at Miss Peregrine'sz Home for Peculair CHildren or Neverwhere by Gaiman.

Finished off the Northlands Trilogy by Stephen Baxter over New Years, a great alternate history spanning thousands of years.

Read Orbitsville and Orbitsville Departure by Bob Shaw, a couple of quick reads about the discovery of a Dyson sphere around a star and how it effects humanity.

Read The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. First book in a new fantasy series. I liked it a lot, looking forward to the next book. it has a lot of parallels with the Acacia series by David Anthony Durham which I'm also reading, a group of sibling prince and princesses s scattered across the world, each getting different set of skills and needing to deal with the death of their father and a threat to their kingdom.

I'm currently reading the third Acacia book, The Sacred Band.

Also, reading The World of Ice and Fire, which I got for Christmas. Loving the more detailed background of everything while it still skirts the details that may be relevant the main books.

I'm a couple of books behind on the Preston/Child Agent Pendergast series of airport bookstore thrillers, so I'm catching up on those. They're turgid and predictable, and yet somehow I can't help myself. Took a break to read the Johannes Cabal short story A Long Spoon as published on tor.com. It's as delightful as always.

I finished Tuf Voyaging by George RR Martin. As this was my first foray of reading his literature outside of ASOIAF, I found it interesting that one of his themes was absolute power corrupts absolutely, much like ASOIAF. And there is a minor character named Jaime, not Jamie, like Jaime Lannister! I liked the first story about Tuf acquired the seedship in the first place the best. GRRM sure has a fertile imagination for some of those monsters!

Since the there is still a hold on the library book I really want to read, I am Malala is up next. It was given to me as a gift and it has been sitting in my to read pile for over a year.

There's also a Jefri Lion.

I began reading "S" by J J Abrams and Doug Dorst lately.

I just finished The Martian. Oh my freaking gawd! Awesomeness. :eek: It's a gripping, gripping book. I literally did not put it down. Highly recommended.

I'm starting this today :)

Last night I finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. It was kind of a traditional love story (woman meets broken man, they are transformed by their love), but with an underlying theme of the right to die and medically assisted suicide that I felt was portrayed fairly.

Archived