January 2015 Reading Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

On the subject of the Malazan series- I've just bought Gardens of the Moon. What's the reading pace like? From a glance it looks like it may be quite slow-paced. Just interested to know other people's experience with it before I decide which book on my shelf to read next.

I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy for the first time ever. It's odd that I'm just getting around to reading this, considering how my interest in Star Wars (movies, games etc.) has fluctuated through the years somewhere between rabid fandom and obsession.

As for the books, thus far they are...ok. Probably would have liked them better if I'd read them at publication.

On the subject of the Malazan series- I've just bought Gardens of the Moon. What's the reading pace like? From a glance it looks like it may be quite slow-paced. Just interested to know other people's experience with it before I decide which book on my shelf to read next.

The first two Malazan books were glacially slow for me. I started out reading GOTM about this time last year myself and it took me about a month to finish (and even going slow it's hard to comprehend everything that's going on).

From what I've seen on the forum, many others have a similar experience with GOTM. For me, Memories of Ice was the first book in the series to move along at a good pace.

Gardens of the Moon. I actually remember it being a good pace, but he basically drops you into the world and many things that happen you will not completely understand. The first time I read it, I got to page 200 and realized I had no idea what was going on and put it down. Picked it up again a year later from the start and everything fell into place and I breezed through it and continue to love the series through all 6 books that I've read so far. Most of the things you don't understand early in the first book will be answered, but not necessarily within the first book.

So I highly recommend my strategy of reading 200 pages, quitting in frustration, then starting fresh later on. ;-)

The first time I read it, I got to page 200 and realized I had no idea what was going on and put it down. Picked it up again a year later from the start and everything fell into place and I breezed through it

I second this! Exactly what I did as well.

For some reason it just helps, even if you spend the intervening year not thinking about the Malazan Universe.

My resolve is being tested. I made a promise to myself to not give up on a book once I start reading but I'm struggling with "The Mirror of Her Dreams". To be fair I have been occupied with uni stuff too, but I just can't seem to get into it. My resolution is proving difficult to keep and it's only January. :(

My resolve is being tested. I made a promise to myself to not give up on a book once I start reading but I'm struggling with "The Mirror of Her Dreams". To be fair I have been occupied with uni stuff too, but I just can't seem to get into it. My resolution is proving difficult to keep and it's only January. :(

Don't beat yourself up about it, you're doing the right thing by putting uni first.

I made a resolution to not keep going with a book I'm not enjoying. I give things a few chances, and usually they end up surprising me, but sometimes I find a book I just cannot get into. I didn't want reading to end up being a chore.

This doesn't count for review copies, mind. I try to finish all of those, otherwise I don't feel like it would be a fair review.

I found Gardens of the Moon to be a bit of a mixed bag. Some interesting ideas and world building, and some nice set pieces, but def a mixed bag. However, I thought Deadhouse Gates was where the series really marks itself. It's probably one of the best modern fantasy novels of recent time, I think.

Just finished The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs. Absolutely brilliant stuff from one of my favourite authors. How he doesn't get more attention is completely baffling.

That's the start of a trilogy, yes? How well does it stand on its own? I've really enjoyed the two books of his that I've read (and I know you know this, but I'm trying to give him more attention ;)).

I finished I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. It was OK given the meandering nature of the book. I did learn something about recent Pakistani history which I knew next to nothing about.

Still waiting for that library book to be available, so another book on my to be read pile is next. I have really liked Carrie Vaughn's short stories, so I'm going to try her novel, Before the Golden Age.

That's the start of a trilogy, yes? How well does it stand on its own? I've really enjoyed the two books of his that I've read (and I know you know this, but I'm trying to give him more attention ;)).

Indeed it is. As a standalone, it works very well. Beautifully written, it's a classic western tale*, with a relatively small cast of characters. The main plot-line is wrapped up nicely, while opening things up for the next book in the series, which promises to be much bigger in scope.

* The world building is excellent. Imagine a world where the Roman empire never fell, but continued their expansion across the Atlantic and into the New World. The natives they have to subdue are terrifying - ten-feet-tall man-eating 'elves' known as Vaettir. It's a steampunk-esque setting, but instead of steam, the Rumans use demons to power their weapons and machinery.

Here's an interview where the author talks about his ideas and inspiration for the series.

GotM does have a few issues (although at the time I loved it and most of them are only really apparent when comparing to later books) but being slow-paced isn't one of them. Things positively crash along.

I found it to be a slog. Too many characters, not enough focus, and not enough explanation as to what is going on. Intrigue when you don't understand why it's intrigue, or what they are even talking about, is lost on reader; and things 'crashing along' when you don't care about any of the characters doesn't do anything for me.

MoI is the first one that seems to have some decent pacing, but even in that book things don't really pick up for 500 pages. His books need major editing.

Archived