Trial by Combat

Hello! I am new here and got set up so I can ask a question that has been driving me bonkers. I am asking in this forum as there is a spoiler for those who have not yet read the fifth novel, even though it does touch on previous novels. Forgive my ignorance in advance if this should be asked elsewhere.

So Cersei has been brought to to Trial by Combat twice while serving as Queen Regent - the first being when Tyrion is accused of regicide, and the second when she is placed into custody by the High Sparrow.

When Tyrion was facing his trial, Cersei was permitted to choose The Mountain as her champion. When placed in captivity by the HS, she is required to choose a member of the King's Guard. This is made quite clear by the Cersei POV chapters where it indicates that she is setting the conditions for Margery's loss of trial by ensuring her options of King's Guards are severely limited, and further making mention of it to her herself when she goes to visit her. It is stated that as the Queen (Margery), she can only have a King's Guard fight for her, and it is further mentioned later (I believe during another Cersei POV chapter in ADWD) that Cersei must choose a King's Guard as well as Queen Regent.

So my question is: why was Cersei able to choose outside the King's Guard for the first trial but no the second? She is Queen Regent in both instances, and both involved the royal family (i,e, Joffrey who the King's Guard are sworn to protect). I cannot for the life of me put together why she was able to pick whomever she wished for the first trial but not the second.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Because Cersei was the accuser in the first case and the accused in the latter. When the royal family is accused of something then the kingsguard are compelled to provide the champion.

But also it does seem that there are no clearly defined rules for a trial by combat, and the high septon may be following a different set of rules than Tywin did for the other trial.

Because Cersei was the accuser in the first case and the accused in the latter. When the royal family is accused of something then the kingsguard are compelled to provide the champion.

But also it does seem that there are no clearly defined rules for a trial by combat, and the high septon may be following a different set of rules than Tywin did for the other trial.

The first sentence is what I was gonna say. While Tyrion was technically at an advantage over his sister when they both face trial by having anyone who would fight for him the Kingsguard are supposed to be I'd imagine near enough the best warriors in the land just with Jaime now being maimed, Loras "dying" and the others they currently have this is not the case. It would be quite amusing if Margaery chose Robert Strong to fight for her as well but can't see her trusting him any more than she would trust the others.

I am guessing its a cast to case basis though because when Tyrion had the trial by combat in the Eyrie, Lysa seemed to choose anyone who would fight for her though she is not royalty so different rules may apply.

Wow all these members of the Royal Family getting charged does not make them look good!

• 3 weeks later...

Thread

When a member of the royal family stands accused, the defender can only be a KG knight.

When it is a member of the royal family who is accusing someone else (for example, Cersei accusing Tyrion), said member of the royal family is free to choose who fights in the trial.

So, this is why Cersei is allowed to choose the Mountain when accusing Tyrion. Should Cersei stand accused herself, for example, she would need a KG knight to defend her. Should any other member of the royal family stand accused, a KG knight should defend them.

Because, in Dance, it is Cersei who is being accused, she needs a KG knight to defend her. Margaery, should she have chosen a trial by combat, as well.

In the scenario where Cersei would accuse, say, Mace Tyrell, and Mace would decide to go for a trial by combat, he could choose whoever he wants. He might be the Queens (Margaery's) father, but he is not of the royal family.

• 4 months later...

Archived