Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Is Casterly rock actually three times the size of the Wall or Hightower? (WOIAF) However, I read people claim that WOIAF is biased in favours of Lannister. The picture of the rock certainly doesn't make it seem three times the size of the Wall.

I seem to recall that it should be read as Casterly Rock having been tree times the size of the Hightower.. at a certian point in time? Should be somewhere in the inconsistencies thread, most likely. The Hightower grew little by little, every few generations someone added something.

Why Aegon V and a few other Targaryens was burned in the fires of Summerhall? Mind you "fire cannot kill a dragon"...

Because Targaryens are not immune to fire. Neither are actual dragons, in fact.

Okey, it makes sense. But i have one more question: why on the illustration in WOIAF there is Summehall in orange fires? Conflagration of this town was bred by wildfire, which flame is green...

Artists freedom :)

Okay - as I haven't read the Worldbook - now it's confirmed that Summerhall was engulfed by not any fire but wildfire?

“… the blood of the dragon gathered in one …

… seven eggs, to honor the seven gods, though the king’s own septon had warned …

… pyromancers …

… wild fire …

… flames grew out of control … towering … burned so hot that …

… died, but for the valor of the Lord Comman …”

My interpretation:

"At Summerhall the blood of the dragon gathered in one - the yet unborn son of Rhaella Targaryen. The king brought seven eggs , to honor the seven gods , though the king's own septon had warned "the dragons should never return to life". However the king ordered pyromancers to flame wild fire. Suddenly the flames grew out of control , fast towering , fire burned so hot that it spreaded across the palace. Pregant lady Rhaella would have died , but the valor of the Lord Commander Duncan saved her and prince Rhaegar"

I'm fairly new to the forums here and I'm not sure how this small questions thread works but I have one I'll pose.

When did Bolton go over to Lannister? I just reread the chapter on Arya freeing the northmen at Harrenhall and it seems almost like the Bloody Mummers were already prepared to go over to Bolton. Was Bolton already in cahoots with Lannister at that time?

If this has been discussed before and you know the thread post the link and I'll go read up on it. My searching hasn't found anything yet.,

Officialy after death of king Robb. However they schemed with Lannister and Freys long before Red Wedding.

In my opinion they started during Robb's campaign in Riverlands when Roose noticed that king Robb isn't a good commander ( saying your ally - Freys f**** if I'm married with Jeyne ). There are few battles in Riverlands. After one ( Duskendale if I remember ) someone mentioned loses of many northern houses - except Boltons who didn't fought.

I'm fairly new to the forums here and I'm not sure how this small questions thread works but I have one I'll pose.

When did Bolton go over to Lannister? I just reread the chapter on Arya freeing the northmen at Harrenhall and it seems almost like the Bloody Mummers were already prepared to go over to Bolton. Was Bolton already in cahoots with Lannister at that time?

If this has been discussed before and you know the thread post the link and I'll go read up on it. My searching hasn't found anything yet.,

The Bloody Mummers were prepared to go over to Robb. :) Bolton's change came slightly later, and the Bloody Mummers were hoping to stop it by cutting off Jaime's hand (believing the tensions they hoped it would cause between Tywin and Roose would make Tywin want to take revenge on Roose, causing Roose to remain loyal to Robb). The mummers themselves had already betrayed House Lannister once, and couldn't go back. Tywin would not let them. That's why Roose wants Jaime to tell Tywin it was not Roose's fautlt.

There's some discussion on it here.

It is very difficult to pinpoint the exact moment. According to this ssm, Roose was keeping his options open as late as his supper with Jaime at Harrenhal.

We know that Roose Bolton had already taken Walda Frey to wife before Robb married Jeyne Westerling. Does this then mean that Walder Frey had already planned to ally himself with Bolton to murder Robb before Robb's marriage betrayal, or was his anger towards Robb and his reasoning towards his own family as to why Robb had to be killed more than just a pretext, and the genuine reason for the Red Wedding?

"What if" questions are impossible to answer with any certainty... knowing old Lord Walder's character, it is likely he would have searched for some way to disentangle himself from a losing cause sooner or later, but his desertion would likely have taken a less savage form. The Red Wedding was motivated by his desire to wash out the dishonor that was done him...

As for Bolton, if you reread all his sections carefully, I think you will see a picture of a man keeping all his options open as long as he could... sniffing the wind, covering his tracks, ready to jump either way... even as late as his supper with Jaime at Harrenhal...

Here are some SSMs on the subject:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Roose_Bolton

Hate to bother you but I have a question concerning Roose Bolton's betrayal. There are some that think that Roose had treachery in mind from the minute Robb left Winterfell. That his battle against Tywin was against Robb's wishes and meant to weaken the other Northern Houses. I believe he first thought of treachery after Stannis was defeated and Highgarden joined with the Lannisters. Could you clarify any of this or will is it something that is to be revealed later?

Lord Bolton may well have all sorts of things in mind. Whether or not he would act on any of those thoughts is another matter. Roose is the sort of fellow who keeps his thoughts to himself.

And the best sword is the one that cuts both ways, he might tell you. Take the Battle of Green Fork. Had his night march taken Lord Tywin unawares and won the battle, he would have smashed the Lannisters and become the hero of the hour. While if it failed... well, you see what happened. The only way he could lose there would be if were captured or slain himself, and he did his best to minimize the chances of that.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Some_Questions1

We know that Roose Bolton had already taken Walda Frey to wife before Robb married Jeyne Westerling. Does this then mean that Walder Frey had already planned to ally himself with Bolton to murder Robb before Robb's marriage betrayal, or was his anger towards Robb and his reasoning towards his own family as to why Robb had to be killed more than just a pretext, and the genuine reason for the Red Wedding?

"What if" questions are impossible to answer with any certainty... knowing old Lord Walder's character, it is likely he would have searched for some way to disentangle himself from a losing cause sooner or later, but his desertion would likely have taken a less savage form. The Red Wedding was motivated by his desire to wash out the dishonor that was done him...

As for Bolton, if you reread all his sections carefully, I think you will see a picture of a man keeping all his options open as long as he could... sniffing the wind, covering his tracks, ready to jump either way... even as late as his supper with Jaime at Harrenhal...

anyone feel free to tell me if I sound completely wrong but in my opinion I think the Boltons may have been trying to get into the lannisters good books so to speak as early as Neds death due to the fact that the Boltons only seem to have been waiting for their chance to claim the North however he knew Ned was a man of duty,experience and honour so roose could not best him however as soon as he was executed he knew Rob would call the banners against the crown and roose saw this as the perfect pouty unity to claim the North and be in favour with the crown so as soon as Ned was out of the picture he was trying to nussle in with the lannisters (sorry for any mistakes, I am writing this quickly as the battery on my phone is about to run out haha) (also I am new to the forums so I might not have use abbreviations for certain things that others would) also note: does roose seem like the sort of man who would answer to a liege Lord who was still an inexperienced boy if he could help it?

Roose had his options open as soon as he crossed the Neck...

Tywin was communicating with House Frey shortly after he occupied Harrenhal. Travel through the Riverlands was extremely perilous, especially around the God's Eye. Gregor, Lorch, and Hoat were leading armed foraging parties and leaving none unmolested. Tywin offered to release Manderly's heir if House Manderly would abandon Robb. No ransom was requested. Tywin allowed Frey to ransom four of their house, and just two traveled with gold to retrieve them. Their passage must have been guaranteed by Tywin. And presumably they would have had to cross Boston's lines, which means he would have been aware of their purpose too.

Archived