Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

What constitutes Kinslaying, exactly?

- Murdering family with your own hands (e.g. Tyrion)

- Fighting a against family and slaying them (e.g. Prince Maekar)

- Ordering someone to murder family (e.g. Stannis)

If the third qualifies as Kinslaying, then is Stannis cursed and doomed to fail?

First two for sure qualify, while 3rd is also almost certain.

And curses don't exist in-story. Kinslayers are resented because people of Westeros consider kinslying to be disgusting and contrary to their society's beliefs, not because some divine bolt of retribution will strike kinslayer down. Whether Stannis succeeds or fails depends on his abilities and other circumstances, and not on his involvement in kinslying.

First two for sure qualify, while 3rd is also almost certain.

And curses don't exist in-story. Kinslayers are resented because people of Westeros consider kinslying to be disgusting and contrary to their society's beliefs, not because some divine bolt of retribution will strike kinslayer down. Whether Stannis succeeds or fails depends on his abilities and other circumstances, and not on his involvement in kinslying.

What about the famous phrase..."no man is so accursed as the kinslayer"

Also, this.

" Any individual who slays a member of their own family is believed to be cursed forever in the sight of gods and men.[1] Many Lords and smallfolk believe this and thus those who slay their own blood are usually looked down upon or shunned. There is a saying, in the religions of both the old gods or new gods, stating that "no man is so accursed as the kinslayer"."

From Wiki of Ice and Fire

People BELIVE kinslayers to be cursed. I doesen't mean they trurly are.

And who'd call Stannis Baratheon a kinslayer?

That is all very well, but Stannis did not, in fact, kill his brother. He did neither commit nor plan nor make a contract on the murder of Renly. Melisandre may have told him she had foreseen Stannis' victory and the fact that Renly would die, but not the matter of Renly's death. Otherwise, he'd understand the nightmare of dreaming of killing Renly, but he doesn't:

"I dream of it sometimes. Of Renly's dying. A green tent, candles, a woman screaming. And blood." Stannis looked down at his hands. "I was still abed when he died. Your Devan will tell you. He tried to wake me. Dawn was nigh and my lords were waiting, fretting. I should have been ahorse, armored. I knew Renly would attack at break of day. Devan says I thrashed and cried out, but what does it matter? It was a dream. I was in my tent when Renly died, and when I woke my hands were clean."

ACoK 42 Davos II

Could a red priest create a shadows soldier from his hands?

It seems to require a man and a woman. I'm also pretty sure that it was being a shadowbinder that allowed Melisandre to do this, not her affiliation with the church of the red god.

And who'd call Stannis Baratheon a kinslayer?

That is all very well, but Stannis did not, in fact, kill his brother. He did neither commit nor plan nor make a contract on the murder of Renly. Melisandre may have told him she had foreseen Stannis' victory and the fact that Renly would die, but not the matter of Renly's death. Otherwise, he'd understand the nightmare of dreaming of killing Renly, but he doesn't:

ACoK 42 Davos II

The question would make for a fun moot court exercise.

Archived