Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

The Turncloak chapter can't be more than a few hours. Breakfast, wandering, godswood, lunch and three tankards, and then the trip to the crypts with Lady Dustin.

Thanks. Theon notes when the storm that slowed and eventually halted Stannis reaches Winterfell. So the events in Turncloak occur about 1/3 into the the King's Prize.

The Turncloak chapter can't be more than a few hours. Breakfast, wandering, godswood, lunch and three tankards, and then the trip to the crypts with Lady Dustin.

it covers a little more time:

day 1: first snow, by nightfall snow was coming down heavily, Theon plots escape

day 2: Roose Bolton announced come morning... Roose Bolton's scouts ... report ... Stannis's advance had slowed to a crawl. bath, crypts

Thanks. Theon notes when the storm that slowed and eventually halted Stannis reaches Winterfell. So the events in Turncloak occur about 1/3 into the the King's Prize.

I think Roose Bolton's scouts must ride from Winterfell towards Stannis, find him, find out his advance is no more than a crawl, and then return to Winterfell.

Stannis' host slows to a crawl after 9 days of snowfall, on the 12th day of their march. They come to halt on the 34th day. End of The King's Prize and The Sacrifice both on the the 53d day.

So the later the scouts set out, the earlier their return... or some such. I envisioned it around day 30 of Stannis' march.

We know why Lord Wyman Manderly did not seem to be enjoying spooning porridge into his fat face near as much as he had the pork pies at the wedding, as he sat between a pair of his White Harbor knights in The Turncloak, but why was one-armed Harwood Stout talking quietly with the cadaverous Whoresbane Umber?

We were told in TWOIAF that Aerys had to do a walk of penance. Did he have to do it naked and shaven like Cersei?

Since Aerys himself came up with the idea of WOS as punishment (and was not forced into it like Cersei), I somehow doubt he voluntarily shaved and disrobed. To add to this, Cersei's WOS and specifically designed to publicly shame her and prevent her return to power, which is something Aerys would never do to himself.

That's like answering, "Why does Coke fizz?" with, "Chemistry... ;)"

What more elaborate answer could it be? The two of them, as the GNC theory says, are allies; they're on the same team against Bolton. It makes sense for them to talk to each other and discuss their plans.

What more elaborate answer could it be? The two of them, as the GNC theory says, are allies; they're on the same team against Bolton. It makes sense for them to talk to each other and discuss their plans.

Well, there might just be some other subtle clue in the text, that we have missed so far. That, I think, was @Lost Melnibonean's question.

Well, there might just be some other subtle clue in the text, that we have missed so far.

None that I know of :dunno: GNC theorists have analyzed the theory to death and beyond, and IIRC they didn't find any hidden clues regarding Stout's and WHoresbane's conversation other than the fact that they're working together.

Since Aerys himself came up with the idea of WOS as punishment (and was not forced into it like Cersei), I somehow doubt he voluntarily shaved and disrobed. To add to this, Cersei's WOS and specifically designed to publicly shame her and prevent her return to power, which is something Aerys would never do to himself.

Good points, thanks!

Archived