Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

This may not be that big of an issue. It's not as if she's gonna fly over and perform a census of the men Dorne has. I'm reminded of this SSM:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C92/P105

He read it in the Jade Compendium.

Cheers i must have missed that :bowdown:

He was Aerys. Isn't that reason enough?

In all seriousness, probably because Lyanna was betrothed to Robert. Perhaps it had been Aerys' believe that it was better to execute Robert before he could also come to KL screaming.

Aye, it has to be that. Otherwise, why didn't he just scream for every mayor head in the Realm. The fact he asked for Robert was very specific. I mean, Brandon was already betrothed to a Tully. Why not ask for Hoster too?

We don't know what passed between Rickard and Aerys once Rickard arrived in KL. All manner of escalation might have gone on, which brought both the Ned and Robert into the conversation.

That's other option. If Brandon had mentioned Robert, maybe Aerys could have asked first for him.

Which Pycelle quote are you talking about, though?

Don't have English version at hand, but it's in Clash, when Tyrion is about to arrest Pycelle, so paraphrasing:

"So the sack was also your work?"

"For the Realm! Once Rhaegar died, the war was over. Aerys was mad, Viserys was too young, the prince Aegon was just a baby, but the Realm needed a King. I prayed that it would be your father, but Robert was too strong, and Lord Stark moved too fast".

Aye, it has to be that. Otherwise, why didn't he just scream for every mayor head in the Realm. The fact he asked for Robert was very specific. I mean, Brandon was already betrothed to a Tully. Why not ask for Hoster too?

Well Hoster had Ned and Robert as his guests and could have easily detained and executed them. Who was Aerys supposed to send a raven to and asking them to detain the Lord of Riverrun?

He could have asked him to come, just like Rickard was summoned.

True, but that would be risky I think. You don't know if he's gonna come with an army, possibly augmented by northerners and stormlanders. Hoster would know what happened to Rickard when he answerd the summons. Obviously Aerys' chosen course of action was risky too, but I think in his arrogance he really thought Tully would obey. If he was concerned about Hoster having hurt feelings because he'd killed Cat's fiancee, he could have offered her Viserys maybe? On paper that's a better match.

Robert never struck ne as odd. That Aerys asked for Neds head as well I always found a bit strange...

Yeah, was he gonna go after Benjen too? Eliminate house Stark? I think it's likely that he saw Ned and Robert collectively as a threat (possibly egged on by Varys.) Both had reasons to be incredibly angry at the throne, and were Lords Paramount with strong ties to a third Lord Paramount.

Hi guys,

I have another translation-related question :blush: . Could you please help me with this passage (these are Catelyn's thoughts at Bran's bedside after his fall):

"She had begged Ned not to go, not now, not after what had happened; everything had changed now, couldn't he see that? It was no use. He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing" (GoT ch.14).

Does Catelyn mean that she begged Ned to turn down Robert's job offer and stay at Winterfell permanently, or does she mean that she simply asked him to delay his departure because of Bran's current condition?

The official translation says something like this: "She had begged Ned to stay, not to leave so soon/right after what had happened" - but I'm not sure I agree... :unsure: .

I would appreciate native speakers' advice very much :bowdown: .

Hi guys,

I have another translation-related question :blush: . Could you please help me with this passage (these are Catelyn's thoughts at Bran's bedside after his fall):

"She had begged Ned not to go, not now, not after what had happened; everything had changed now, couldn't he see that? It was no use. He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing" (GoT ch.14).

Does Catelyn mean that she begged Ned to turn down Robert's job offer and stay at Winterfell permanently, or does she mean that she simply asked him to delay his departure because of Bran's current condition?

The official translation says something like this: "She had begged Ned to stay, not to leave so soon/right after what had happened" - but I'm not sure I agree... :unsure: .

I would appreciate native speakers' advice very much :bowdown: .

It's ambiguous. You could read it as her just wanting her family closer in the wake of tragedy, but I think the idea is that she had initially read a great deal into the "Stag killed a Direwolf" omen but allowed herself to be talked down and later felt the gods had confirmed her fears with Bran's "accident."

Think so right before he leaves KL and they are giving him 3 squires. Crows 27 or 30 probably has the answer. Though Brie is another option with Pod, could be both.

Just checked. That's when he gets his squires, but IICR, there is one scene when he (or someone else) complains about how kids were actually fighting over being his squires and he didn't never take one. That part I can't find :(

NVM, I found it. In dance. He says he has already too many squires. Thanks, anyway!

Archived