Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Does Bronn know how to read? He did tell Pod that too much reading would ruin his sword eye.

I can't bear the thought of one of my favorite characters being illiterate.

I don't think it's confirmed either way, but probably not.

It is, in Clash.

That night, when the Red Keep was dark, Bronn arrived to find him sealing a letter. "Take this to Ser Jacelyn Bywater." The dwarf dribbled hot golden wax down onto the parchment.

"What does it say?" Bronn could not read, so he asked impudent questions.

I haven't reread ADWD so the details are a little blurred : does Septa Lemore know the true identity of Tyrion when they travel together? Do JonCo and Aegon know?

Connington knows from the letter Illyrio wrote. I can't remember offhand if it's indicated what the others know or suspect.

When Tyrion tells Aegon that he knows who the boy is, he also identifies himself to both Aegon and Connington, right before they run into the stone men. Who else aboard the ship knows, or cares, who Tyrion is is unclear, but it seems that after Tyrion identifies himself it's not a secret anymore. When Lemore and Connington are talking after Tyrion is taken by Jorah, Lemore still refers to Tyrion as Hugor, but knows about the price that Cersei put on his head. When she learned this stuff, who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if she knew before Tyrion's capture. She may very well have been within earshot when Tyrion identified himself.

Aegon also refers to Tyrion as Yollo. I think they've grown accustomed to Tyrion by his fake names in a similar way as we know each other by usernames rather than real name despite many probably know each other's real names. And the fact they had to live for years in secrecy had made them used to discretion and fake identities too. Anyway, to answer OP, Jon knows, and I think Haldon suspects. The rest didn't seem to care that much.

Anyone else noticed the number 63 come up a few times. Like the 163 slave children crucified on the way to meereen. Then in ADWD in two consecutive chapters the number appears; Ramsay Bolton has 63 ironmen killed then Jon Snow recruits 63 wildlings from Moletown to join the watch. Maybe its just a coincidence but if anyone has any theories let me know.

Anyone else noticed the number 63 come up a few times. Like the 163 slave children crucified on the way to meereen. Then in ADWD in two consecutive chapters the number appears; Ramsay Bolton has 63 ironmen killed then Jon Snow recruits 63 wildlings from Moletown to join the watch. Maybe its just a coincidence but if anyone has any theories let me know.

I did not notice.

ADwD 20 Reek II: [...] wooden stakes were driven deep into the boggy ground; there the corpses festered, red and dripping. Sixty-three, he knew, there are sixty-three of them.

In ADwD 59 The Discarded Knight, Ser Barristan is three-and-sixty.

163 comes up 2 times, in ASoS and 3 times in ADwD.

63 comes up 8 times, but only in ADwD. ...if my count is correct.

I think I recall Jon thinking to himself that they could.

Glass, Jon mused, might be of use here. Castle Black needs its own glass gardens, like the ones at Winterfell. We could grow vegetables even in the deep of winter.

There's also Theon :

This was not the castle he remembered from the summer of his youth. This place was scarred and broken, more ruin than redoubt, a haunt of crows and corpses. The great double curtain wall still stood, for granite does not yield easily to fire, but most of the towers and keeps within were roofless. A few had collapsed. The thatch and timber had been consumed by fire, in whole or in part, and under the shattered panes of the Glass Garden the fruits and vegetables that would have fed the castle during the winter were dead and black and frozen. Tents filled the yard, half-buried in the snow. Roose Bolton had brought his host inside the walls, along with his friends the Freys; thousands huddled amongst the ruins, crowding every court, sleeping in cellar vaults and under topless towers, and in buildings abandoned for centuries.

To me it seems like they can do several harvest into the glass gardens during a long winter.

I did not notice.

ADwD 20 Reek II: [...] wooden stakes were driven deep into the boggy ground; there the corpses festered, red and dripping. Sixty-three, he knew, there are sixty-three of them.

In ADwD 59 The Discarded Knight, Ser Barristan is three-and-sixty.

163 comes up 2 times, in ASoS and 3 times in ADwD.

63 comes up 8 times, but only in ADwD. ...if my count is correct.

What does it all mean?!?!?!

Do the aSoIaF era Velaryons have some Targaryen blood?

...nearly everybody has... yes, the Velaryons should have a good share of it, they were neighbors to the Targaryens.

What does it all mean?!?!?!

George R.R. Martin either likes that number or has been repeatedly trapped by with autocomplete function of his computer.

(I suspect the latter.)

“My brethren are never careless,” Hallyne insisted. “If I may be, hmmmm, frank…”

“Oh, do.”

“The substance flows through my veins, and lives in the heart of every pyromancer. We respect its power. But the common soldier, hmmmm, the crew of one of the queen’s spitfires, say, in the unthinking frenzy of battle… any little mistake can bring catastrophe. That cannot be said too often. My father often told King Aerys as much, as his father told old King Jaehaerys.”

This is three generations of Hallynes. So, which Aerys and which Jaehaerys wea re talking about?

Old King Jaehaerys is often Jaehaerys I. Is it possible that the grandfather of Hallyne was old enough to give counsel to Jaehaerys I? Unlikely.

Hallyne was an acolyte during the reign of Aerys II. Probably, the Aerys in the quote is the Mad King. So, Hallyne's granddad was giving counsel durng the short reign of Jaehaerys II, then, Hallyne's father took his turn and Hallyne became a wisdom during Robert's reign.

I agree it has to be Jaehaerys II. If all three Hallynes were long lived I guess Jaehaerys I is possible. But if that were the case why just mention him and not any of the other kings who ruled between Jaehaerys I and Aerys II.

Interesting that Jaehaerys II had to be told that about soldiers handling wildfire. I guess it was used in the War of the Ninpenny Kings?

The Targaryen line of kings was there right from AGoT Appendix. The only difference was Viserys I believe.

I don't have a first edition, but I believe the difference was that Viserys II went from being Aegon III's son to his brother.

Archived