Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Do we know if castellan of Storm's End ser Harbert ( who wanted to kill Patchface and convinced Stannis to abandon his pet hawk Proudwing) was a Baratheon?

His last name is never stated. The fact that he was the castellan of SE, and Stannis' great-uncle, would suggest that the chances are high that he was a Baratheon. But it cannot be confirmed.

I've forgot. Where is it mentioned?

“When I was a lad I found an injured goshawk and nursed her back to health. Proudwing, I named her. She would perch on my shoulder and flutter from room to room after me and take food from my hand, but she would not soar. Time and again I would take her hawking, but she never flew higher than the treetops. Robert called her Weakwing. He owned a gyrfalcon named Thunderclap who never missed her strike. One day our great-uncle Ser Harbert told me to try a different bird. I was making a fool of myself with Proudwing, he said, and he was right.”

ACOK - Ch. 10

“The wretch is mad, and in pain, and no use to anyone, least of all himself,” declared old Ser Harbert, the castellan of Storm’s End in those years. “The kindest thing you could do for that one is fill his cup with the milk of the poppy. A painless sleep, and there’s an end to it. He’d bless you if he had the wit for it.” But Cressen had refused, and in the end he had won. Whether Patchface had gotten any joy of that victory he could not say, not even today, so many years later.

ACOK - Prologue

I've forgot. Where is it mentioned?

Along with the stuff about Proudwing

One day our great-uncle Ser Harbert told me to try a different bird. I was making a fool of myself with Proudwing, he said, and he was right.

http://i.imgur.com/MjyE2Kb.png so this is just a speculation?

No it's not speculation that Robert had more bastards. Maegi the Frog notes the exact number of children Robert will have when Cersei meets her. (and it doesn't include Cersei's three.) Off the top of my head that list is missing Bella and the ones Cersei supposedly had killed at Casterly Rock.

Edit:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert_I_Baratheon#Known_bastards

http://i.imgur.com/MjyE2Kb.png so this is just a speculation?

You mean that Harbert descends from a Baratheon...? Yeah. I mean, it hasn't been confirmed that he's a Baratheon, and while it seems likely, it would count as speculation.. We don't know if Lyonel Baratheon (Ormund's father) had multiple sons... All we know about his children is that he had at least one son (Ormund), and at least one daughter.

Oh oops. My eyes were drawn to the red box [emoji14]

Edit: wait, the only other way for Harbert to be Stannis' great uncle is if he was a brother of Rhaelle right? and we can safely rule that out no?

That thought crossed my mind to. However, according to Wikipedia, a great-uncle is the brother or brother-in-law of your grandparent. Which means that Harbert could have been Ormunds brother-in-law (we know he wasn't Rhaelle's brother-in-law)..

No one in winterfell found it odd that bran and rickon were 1) beheaded 2) flayed 3) dipped in tar? No one suspected theon of tricking them? Why would he kill them in such a fashion. It would have been better for him to have their faces in tact so the residents of winterfell could see them clearly.

No one in winterfell found it odd that bran and rickon were 1) beheaded 2) flayed 3) dipped in tar? No one suspected theon of tricking them? Why would he kill them in such a fashion. It would have been better for him to have their faces in tact so the residents of winterfell could see them clearly.

Didn't Luwin figure it out from the one boys legs? Obviously it would have been better for him to actually have the right kids and be able to kill and display them in another fashion, but they had to work with what they had.

It is similar to baby Aegon. Tywin presented a mutilated body and claimed it was Aegon, and no one questioned him or even looked too closely-- creating the possibility that the young prince(s) secretly survived.

Didn't Luwin figure it out from the one boys legs? Obviously it would have been better for him to actually have the right kids and be able to kill and display them in another fashion, but they had to work with what they had.

Really? Do you have a quote for this, I don't remember that.

And I mean wouldn't resident's think "hmm, why would theon do that? I sure would have been more saddened if I could clearly see their faces"

It is similar to baby Aegon. Tywin presented a mutilated body and claimed it was Aegon, and no one questioned him or even looked too closely-- creating the possibility that the young prince(s) secretly survived.

Good point. Like Theon said, people will believe what you tell them.

Really? Do you have a quote for this, I don't remember that.

Gently, they eased Luwin onto his back. He had grey eyes and grey hair, and once his robes had been grey as well, but they were darker now where the blood had soaked through. “Bran,” he said softly when he saw him sitting tall on Hodor’s back. “And Rickon too.” He smiled. “The gods are good. I knew...”

“Knew?” said Bran uncertainly.

“The legs, I could tell... the clothes fit, but the muscles in his legs... poor lad...” He coughed, and blood came up from inside him. “You vanished... in the woods... how, though? “

“We never went,” said Bran. “Well, only to the edge, and then doubled back. I sent the wolves on to make a trail, but we hid in Father’s tomb.”

Archived