AGoT ReRead - Setup & Information

Maester Yobjascz

The Re-Read is on!

It's currently going on here in the General forum with the Prologue. We do not, at this point, have a sub-forum going, so keep your eyes on topics in the General forum entitled "AGoT ReRead - [Name] [Number]".

We'll be doing three chapters per week, Monday to Monday. We start with Bran I, Catelyn I, and Daenerys I on Monday, September 25.

And here is what it would be like if we did three a week:

Sept. 25- Bran(I) Catelyn(I) Daenerys(I)

Oct. 2- Eddard(I) Jon(I) Catelyn(II)

Oct. 9- Arya(I) Bran(II) Tyrion(I)

Oct. 16- Jon(II) Daenerys(II) Eddard(II)

Oct. 23- Tyrion(II) Catelyn(III) Sansa(I)

Oct. 30- Eddard(III) Bran(III) Catelyn(IV)

Nov. 6- Jon(III) Eddard(IV) Tyrion(III)

Nov. 13- Arya(II) Daenerys(III) Bran(IV)

Nov. 20- Eddard(V) Jon(IV) Eddard(VI)

Nov. 27- Catelyn(V) Sansa(II) Eddard(VII)

Dec. 4- Tyrion(IV) Arya(III) Eddard(VIII)

Dec. 11- Catelyn(VI) Eddard(IX) Daenerys(IV)

Dec. 18- Bran(V) Tyrion(V) Eddard(X)

Dec. 25- Catelyn(VII) Jon(V) Tyrion(VI)

Jan. 1- Eddard(XI) Sansa(III) Eddard(XII)

Jan. 8- Daenerys(V) Eddard(XIII) Jon(VI)

Jan. 15- Eddard(XIV) Arya(IV) Sansa(IV)

Jan. 22- Jon(VII) Bran(VI) Daenerys(VI)

Jan. 29- Catelyn(VIII) Tyrion(VII) Sansa(V)

Feb. 5- Eddard(XV) Catelyn(IX) Jon(VIII)

Feb. 12- Daenerys(VII) Tyrion(VIII) Catelyn(X)

Feb. 19- Daenerys(VIII) Arya(V) Bran(VII)

Feb. 26- Sansa(VI) Daenerys(IX) Tyrion(IX)

Mar. 5- Jon(IX) Catelyn(XI) Daenerys(X)

So everyone has until Monday to decide. 3 a week or 2?

I think we can do three chapters a week. After I read Bran I and Catelyn I, i just couldn´t stop reading. Thats how it is with the old SOIAF. I quickly got way ahead of the re-read. Then I went back and read Bran I and Catelyn I a couply more times. The chapters aren´t long in GOT. And it would be cool to cover CoK before aDwD is out. Let´s do three chapters a week.

Would take away some of that old waiting time, that are burning your soul like dragonfire, ot the touch of an other.

Finally. count me in! :)

I defenetley think we should have subforum for this, even if it dosen't get that much of attention. I think that we can find at least 50 (I said 'at least' :) ) members that will post during whole read.

If we put this in a subforum, it will be organized, and members (and visitors) that visit forum later will have easier way of finding it.

I think we should even post spoiler-free posts (wich means-post spoilers blackened). This can't work during the beginning, because mostly everithing we say will be spoiler. So we can blacken only major plotline spoilers. In that way members that are reading series for the first time can read threads without spoiling book too much.

I'm talking about this because when I first read the series (like most of us) some major stuf I missed and to have some explanation about some stuff at that time I could use very much. This series is very big, and we can't expect from everyone to be in love with it as some of us are.

I had very much trouble with following all the caracters. And as much as i followed most of them, there are still many that I've missed. It would be cool to give list of characters that are showing up in the chapter, and to give list of chapters where they have showed up before (and -spoiler-later)

I defenetley think we should have subforum for this, even if it dosen't get that much of attention. I think that we can find at least 50 (I said 'at least' :) ) members that will post during whole read.

If we put this in a subforum, it will be organized, and members (and visitors) that visit forum later will have easier way of finding it.

I think we should even post spoiler-free posts (wich means-post spoilers blackened). This can't work during the beginning, because mostly everithing we say will be spoiler. So we can blacken only major plotline spoilers. In that way members that are reading series for the first time can read threads without spoiling book too much.

I'm talking about this because when I first read the series (like most of us) some major stuf I missed and to have some explanation about some stuff at that time I could use very much. This series is very big, and we can't expect from everyone to be in love with it as some of us are.

if there is a unbforum and/or the chapters are marked is idea with the spoiler not a littlie overkill ?

i mean the hole thread have to be black ?

or what do you mean with spoiler exatly ?

i mean the hole thread have to be black ?

or what do you mean with spoiler exatly ?

I thought only to blacken spoilers for mayor plotline. Spoilers about costoms, behavior of caracters, history etc.. should not be blackened. But it's only a thought that might be considered. I didn't gave much hope to it, after all.

Welcome!

We'll see how things go. It would be nice to eventually have a subforum, but it'll be a bit of overkill right now. Let's see how much interest develops. We can always move older threads to a subforum if necessary later on.

In my mind, the whole point of a reread is to do a close analysis of the text in light of all the information that we've got so far. This would mean looking at AGoT with what we know of ASoS and AFfC. Otherwise, we could just read the forum. Early on, especially in AGoT, most everything is a spoiler. Besides, it's a RE-read, so if someone is just on their first reading, they shouldn't be there. ;)

Naturally, if someone starts referring to released chapters of ADwD, then spoiler text would be appropriate.

I had very much trouble with following all the caracters. And as much as i followed most of them, there are still many that I've missed. It would be cool to give list of characters that are showing up in the chapter, and to give list of chapters where they have showed up before (and -spoiler-later)

Interesting idea, but it might take awhile... pointing out all the chapters that Tyrion has shown up in would take some time. Some chapters just introduce *a lot* of characters. I definitely think it's worth mentioning the major characters in a given chapter. In some cases, noting interesting tie-ins with later chapters (or earlier ones) is worth doing also... (Anguy anyone?).

Interesting idea, but it might take awhile... pointing out all the chapters that Tyrion has shown up in would take some time. Some chapters just introduce *a lot* of characters. I definitely think it's worth mentioning the major characters in a given chapter. In some cases, noting interesting tie-ins with later chapters (or earlier ones) is worth doing also... (Anguy anyone?).

I didn't have major caracters in mind when I was refering to that list. Here is an idea: we can divide caracters on major ones, and minor ones, and give list of chapters where they're showing up only for minor characters. There is a problem when some caracters are minor in one book and major in another (like Beric or that Karstark). for instance, minor caracters may be those that appear in less than 5-10 chapters, or something like that.

I didn't have major caracters in mind when I was refering to that list. Here is an idea: we can divide caracters on major ones, and minor ones, and give list of chapters where they're showing up only for minor characters. There is a problem when some caracters are minor in one book and major in another (like Beric or that Karstark). for instance, minor caracters may be those that appear in less than 5-10 chapters, or something like that.

If we can get a sub-forum going on this, this would be an interesting idea. Each chapter could have a post of characters only mentioned and characters we saw. Pretty cool.

I'm going to contact Werthead about making a sub-forum. Having a sub-forum would bring some more interest as well.

I am definetely in on this! Excellent idea. Especially if we get a subforum for it.

But I am against using spoiler tags. It's a reread, as has been noted, and if events in AGOT should be spoilered, then *everything* on this forum should be in spoiler tags.

The character list sounds like a great idea! If we just make a list for a each chapter with characters in it and characters mentioned, it should be possible to make more comprehensive lists later (for those with no life, like me ;).

Wired Irony, thanks for starting this reread. Like many, I had been meaning to reread AGoT for a while, but of course didn't have the balls to start a reread thread, since my knowledge of the series isn't near deep enough for me to moderate. Anyway, I'm in. As for spoilers--I agree with Khamul. Three chapters a week seems fine, but who knows how long each discussion will roll. And I'm being a little selfish here, but hopefully we can get a good number of people involved--like the usual lurker (I joined the old ezboard in the summer of '04, yet have only posted sixty-some times), following the discussions on this board has greatly enriched my appreciation and enjoyment of the series. I'm looking forward to this.

I've been a lurker for a long while now, and joined just because I saw this post--I'm pretty excited because I just finished rereading AGoT, and I am looking forward to doing it chapter by chapter with the 3-a-week schedule. It will definitely make waiting for ADwD much easier if the earlier books are reread slowly...

Wired Irony, thanks for starting the ball rolling with a reread.

Archived