...and to touch the light, you must pass beneath the shadow...of The Wall

Team_Rob

This is in reference to the prophecy that Quathe tells Dany she must do to go back to Westeros. "To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." While it is widely believed by some that she has to go to Asshai to fulfill this part of the prophecy, I think that the actual fulfillment of this part of the prophecy is not as black and white as 'going to The Shadowlands' as this seems. Like most propheies in this series, the outcome that seems most obvious is not the thing that usually happens.

Often when passing through The Wall, it is described as being dark or shadowy. If Jon is Lightbringer, as some believe, then Dany going to The Wall is essential to fulfilling Quathe's prophecy to Dany. Going to The Wall would not only fulfill the prophecy, but it makes strategic sense as well. After hearing of Quentin's death, the Dornish aren't likely to welcome Dany should she try to land on the south coast of Westeros, since they are probably gonna rise for (F)Aegon most likely. Arriane has already began to nurse doubts about Dany in her POV, and after finding out Quentin died from dragonflame, Ser Jorah would also council against that since it is where everyone will be expecting her to land. Dany has already reconciled in her mind that Jorah has always given her good council, so she'll most likely agree to that course. Not to mention the Ironborn are in the Reach and would have a commanding position on the Sunset sea with the Iron fleet. Although Victarian is intent on marrying Dany, leaving Euron on his own to the west would probably be in his best interests anyway. That and with (F)Aegon's army already encamped on the southeastern coast of Westeros, her best option is to go north from the Free Cities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dany ask Quiathe if she means Asshai and Quaithe nodded?

She nodded as a respectful farewell. Dany starts to rant about Asshai and Quiathe simply says "truth" and leaves. It is implied that she refers to Asshai but since this is from Dany's pov we can't be sure.

I like to think the light in the "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow" -part refers to something essentially good that lies behind the shadow of the Wall and white walkers. It would be nice to see that the Others are protecting something that humans are not ought to touch. After all, humans are evil themselves.

Isn't Sunspear also called the "shadow city"? I think it is called the shadow city because it is situated beneath the massive Sunspear walls. "To the west, in the shadows of Sunspear’s massive walls, mud-brick shops and windowless hovels clung to the castle like barnacles to a galley’s hull. Stables and inns and winesinks and pillow houses had grown up west of those, many enclosed by walls of their own, and yet more hovels had risen beneath those walls".

So of GRRM names the town outside of Sunspear the "shadow city" because of Sunspear's walls, I don't think it is out of the question for him to be referring to the shadow of The Wall with Dany.

Archived