The Complete Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

A pretty sweet gem I found while searching through some older stuff on TWOW. This one on Arya as reported at Worldcon 2012:

So, 3 years ago, GRRM had a lot of material already written on Arya apparently.

Nice find.

I imagine a lot of that material would have been used to fill in the 5-year gap. Shame a lot of it will have to go to waste, as I imagine Arya will have to start thinking about leaving Braavos fairly soon. Perhaps George will release this bonus material in some alternative form, though that's not really his style.. (A novel about Arya in Braavos, assassinating various targets and taking on different faces would be brilliant.)

Whoah. Stop. The publisher did not say that. Yes, they did do it for ADWD, but I think that was probably a special case, related, I think, to the launch of the HBO series.

They also did it for ASoS (hand-in on 21 April 2000, on the shelves in the final week of July 2000) and AFFC (hand-in in May 2005, on the shelves in October 2005), so no, not a special case. The same thing will certainly happen for TWoW. If there's no warning of delivery, it may be more the 5-6 months of AFFC, but if they coordinate it like they did for ADWD, 3 months is doable.

Books 7-10 of The Wheel of Time were also on the shelves 3 months after hand in. Robert Jordan actually got annoyed by that as he felt it was hurting proofing, so he demanded more time for Book 11 and got it (up to 5 months).

They also did it for ASoS (hand-in on 21 April 2000, on the shelves in the final week of July 2000) and AFFC (hand-in in May 2005, on the shelves in October 2005), so no, not a special case.

The fantasy here is that he will submit it in August and it will release 3 months later. I thought that was the context of the discussion. If people had merely fantasized that he would submit it 6 months later, I would not have objected.

I never denied that 3 months was "doable", I merely pointed out that no-one has promised us this will happen, and it cannot be taken for granted. They've already got an ASOIAF book on the schedule for the fall season. And if Mr. Jordan thinks rushing books out in 3 months is a bad idea, well ... maybe he's right.

A pretty sweet gem I found while searching through some older stuff on TWOW. This one on Arya as reported at Worldcon 2012:

> Arya will be in The Winds of

> Winter. GRRM has enough

> material about Arya's

> adventures in Braavos that he

> could write an entire novel

> about it. The audience cheered

> the idea, so GRRM jokingly

> proposed setting aside TWOW to

> work on it instead.

So, 3 years ago, GRRM had a lot of material already written on Arya apparently.

(1) "could write" does not mean "has written"

(2) Nonetheless GRRM already DID have quite a bit of material featuring Arya's adventures in Braavos: 3 Arya chapters and a Samwell chapter from AFFC, 2 Arya chaters in ADWD, and the since-released TWOW chapter "Mercy". That's seven Arya-in-Braavos chapters already.

(3) He was joking about expanding this material into a novel.

(4) GRRM told us only about a month and a half before WorldCon 2012 how many pages in finished chapters he had - 200 pages. This is pretty-much accounted for by the confirmed chapters we know about -- those you discuss in your opening link.

GRRM on his blog in response to a comment said that he certainly hopes that none of his publishers have a release date on their calendars for Winds. So basically Winds could be finished at any point and any time. So I think that it is still possible we could get a release date end of summer August or fall like October and have the book out before we are spoiled by season 6.

Just checked out the comment. :) I like how he very clearly stated that he prefers them to keep it off the schedule until it's done, but leaves himself an out.

I also like that he avoided saying anything about 2015. I really don't want to hear estimations or progress updates. I only want to hear when the book is done. :D

(1) "could write" does not mean "has written"

(2) Nonetheless GRRM already DID have quite a bit of material featuring Arya's adventures in Braavos: 3 Arya chapters and a Samwell chapter from AFFC, 2 Arya chaters in ADWD, and the since-released TWOW chapter "Mercy". That's seven Arya-in-Braavos chapters already.

(3) He was joking about expanding this material into a novel.

(4) GRRM told us only about a month and a half before WorldCon 2012 how many pages in finished chapters he had - 200 pages. This is pretty-much accounted for by the confirmed chapters we know about -- those you discuss in your opening link.

Perhaps, though material is somewhat broad of a term, meaning enough things to write about or enough written material. From what I can tell... GRRM's early forays into TWOW of writing new material (not material carried over from ADWD) were concentrated on 2 characters. I'm pretty confident on one: Daenerys given that he updated NAB stating that he was writing about the Dothraki in April 2012, and the EW interview where he talked about Mago. Per the Arya stuff: I have this memory of GRRM being at a con sometime in late 2012, early 2013 where he admitted that he was working on Arya in TWOW. I'm still looking for the cite on it, but if anyone else knows of a place, let me know. If I find it first, I'll update this post.

This leads me to think that GRRM mostly wrote Arya & Dany in 2012, this speculation leads me to another point: those 200 very rough pages, GRRM cited in the interview may have been Daenerys & Arya material. GRRM stated in the Tower of the Hand link that he's able to write Arya the easiest, leading me to conclude that maybe he had indeed written enough Arya material by 2012.

GRRM on his blog in response to a comment said that he certainly hopes that none of his publishers have a release date on their calendars for Winds. So basically Winds could be finished at any point and any time. So I think that it is still possible we could get a release date end of summer August or fall like October and have the book out before we are spoiled by season 6.

Thanks for the update. Saw this earlier, but will update the post. Thanks!

Couldn't this also mean he could be saying "I hope they don't expect it at any date soon, because it certainly won't be ready by then"? I mean, not to be a pessimist, but if he says they shouldn't have it on its schedule, that implies they expect it to be ready within the current schedule period and he is likely to disappoint them.

Couldn't this also mean he could be saying "I hope they don't expect it at any date soon, because it certainly won't be ready by then"? I mean, not to be a pessimist, but if he says they shouldn't have it on its schedule, that implies they expect it to be ready within the current schedule period and he is likely to disappoint them.

Exactly my thoughts.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/02/07/wall-street-journal-george-r-r-martin-comments-winds-winter-release-date/

According to WiC, he says he doesn't want a release date stated or anything, cause if he feels he can't meet them he won't publish, and he'll push it back and just disappoint fans. He doesn't want to say a release date till it is 100% done.

I'd like to get an answer from someone who waited for A Dance with Dragons to release after A Feast for Crows!

I want to know what it was like, did you go through the same phase of what is currently happening now? with excerpts being released and speculations of the release date? Did GRRM ever say it was going to be released a certain year and then later said it will be delayed?
I ask this because aDwD was released 6 years after aFfC! I'm sure I had more to ask but I will stick with this for now :)

Sorry I am blind! :bang: But the question remains.Does the link mean there is a missing Jon chapter which will appear in Winds?

As shown by Lady Gwyn, The missing Jon chapters areJon XI, XII and XIII of ADWD. Most likely, they weren't complete when the manuscript was submitted to Texas A&M in April 2011. (Martin didn't complete ADWD for good until May 2011). So, no Jon chapters were shifted to TWOW. However, there's good evidence that a Bran chapter was shifted from ADWD to TWOW.

Archived