Wouldn't the Unsullied be weak w/out testicles to produce testosterone?

Ocelot

Yeah, it's not that they're powerful because they're strong. They're powerful because they fight with rigid and unwavering discipline. And I don't think not having testicles automatically makes someone weak.

Yeah, what they said. ;)

When Dany first sees them she notes the "lean hardness of their bodies." So they're supposed to be muscular.

Lean, but not "bulky muscular."

Real eunuchs tend to be tall, plump, and keep their voices they had when they were kids. They'd have less muscle tissue because of less testosterone, but they would still have some size advantage on the battlefield, not to mention being totally brainwashed killing machines.

They wouldn't be plump if they had rigorous physical training all the time.

Very little about the Unsullied make any kind of sense. They are one of Martin's worst ideas IMO.

I don't think it's unrealistic. Think of child soldiers in modern day Africa. A well trained and indoctrinated child with a deadly weapon can be a deadly soldier.

Physical strength is way less important when you have access to firearms.

To be able to fight with spears and hold formation for a long time requires a lot of strength and stamina.

People aren't weak just because they don't have testicles. This is a misnomer.

But they are weaker because of lack of testosterone.

I guess they could pick kids that are really tall, big boned and muscular so that would balance the loss of muscle after castration.

Real eunuchs tend to be tall, plump, and keep their voices they had when they were kids. They'd have less muscle tissue because of less testosterone, but they would still have some size advantage on the battlefield, not to mention being totally brainwashed killing machines.

Weren't the Unsullied castrated once they were almost adults? Daenerys bought kids already trained as fighters but that hadn't still been castrated.

If they were castrated so late, their skeleton wouldn't be different from regular men, so their limbs would have normal length.

Archived