a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

Read those first few chapters. Not bad, some kinda cool elements, seems decently... fun? I guess would be the word.

Meh.

Seemed alright. The language was clunky as fuck.

Still not seeing what the hubbub is all about

Yeah, pretty much, although I totally see what the hubbub is about (not saying its necessarily deserved, I just get it).

Just how many hammy similes can one cram into an opening chapter? Quite a lot, turns out.

Read those first few chapters. Not bad, some kinda cool elements, seems decently... fun? I guess would be the word.

Yeah, pretty much, although I totally see what the hubbub is about (not saying its necessarily deserved, I just get it).

Just how many hammy similes can one cram into an opening chapter? Quite a lot, turns out.

Can you explain it to me then? Is the 'mystery author' angle?

This has turned into quite a fun thread. At what point did this forum take a turn away from discussing books and instead move to 'I DEMAND THAT YOU EXPLAIN YOUR TASTE!'

I enjoyed the book, not a book of the year type thing but found it quite good. I feel no need at this point to explain why.

This has turned into quite a fun thread. At what point did this forum take a turn away from discussing books and instead move to 'I DEMAND THAT YOU EXPLAIN YOUR TASTE!'

I enjoyed the book, not a book of the year type thing but found it quite good. I feel no need at this point to explain why.

We are discussing the book. I just want to know what it is I may be missing. Seriously.

I've given up on books and been convinced to start again because of these types of discussions and ended up enjoying them.

Are we not allowed to talk about taste?

I've now read all but the last sample chapter and I've cooled on it slightly, but I'm still intrigued and enthusiastic and I'm still interested in seeing more. I agree the prose does feel awkward in places, and that's not great, but I don't see how it's any more awkward than the line-by-line writing in many things I've still managed to enjoy thoroughly.

I like:

-- I like the idea of the protagonist, the unglamorous late middle-aged woman who has been [seemingly] genuinely retired for a while but had mad martial skills once upon a time, and her portrayal in these opening chapters suggests to me that she may indeed be an engaging character to follow in fact as well as in theory, and that the book is truly committed to centering itself on a beat up, scarred, grey-haired fifty-ish woman as a fantasy lead, which is pretty cool.

-- The attempts at humour in the situations and wit in the prose sometimes miss badly, but I found that some of them really did work for me, and that this became more frequent the further I went. I like the mix of bloody over-the-top stuff with dashes of humour and weirdly down-to-earth stuff. It feels nicely off-beat. [The part where the smug asshole knight strolls onto a balcony to murder someone while munching a pastry they gave him is a good example.] I'm hopeful it's beginning to settle down into itself as it goes on.

-- On one chapter's-worth of exposure, I like the princess' plotline; I like the sense of camaraderie between her and her guardians. It's nice to have a few characters who seem genuinely attached to one another in the midst of a fairly grim setting.

-- I like that there are pumpkin demons. This suggests a degree of real inventiveness and what-the-fuckery in Marshall's world building that will hopefully make itself felt more later.

What didn't work for me:

-- On several occasions it feels to me like it's trying too hard to be grittily humourous in an Abercrombesque kind of way -- the stuff about trusting dogs to lick themselves feels like a big stretch, for example. It knows what it's aiming at but Marshall can't quite make it feel natural and unforced.

-- The adjectives for names in the chapter set in the culture where everybody's some kind of shamanviking will not do. Their dialect is a pissoff as well, though nowhere near, say, Falcon Throne levels.

-- The big lizards in the [quite engaging] desert chapter are called "godguanas." I can't decide whether the degree of "just go with it and try not to give too many shits" this suggests is a positive thing or not but I'm kinda leaning towards not.

We are discussing the book. I just want to know what it is I may be missing. Seriously.

I've given up on books and been convinced to start again because of these types of discussions and ended up enjoying them.

Ok, assuming this is an actual call for discussion and not a passive aggressive way to say the book sucks (and I do apologize if I misread your intention, the tone was very similar to how you talked about Ancillary Justice not all that long ago).

This would be easier if I could just drop my review early but..

Maybe it is because the book was blurbed by Hurley but I kinda saw the book as a fantasy version of God's War, though with a heavy does of Abercrombie. It wasn't a major trope bender set to take apart Grimdark, nor a loving tribute to it; it was just a book with a familiar story and a seemingly familiar setting that twisted stuff around in the background. I thought the plot itself stood on its own, a Best Served Cold type story that had equally over the top characters and situations but tried for a slightly more serious tone.

What it does twist around a bit is the world itself and some of the common tropes of the genre. It starts with a man be fridged for instance. There is also a character who very much treats Zosia as a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl despite the fact that she never actually plays the part for him. Little stuff like that going on all over; much like a hollywood movie that gains traction for knowing the workings of hollywood this feels like it has two books going. One is a serviceable enough dark fantasy tale, one is a wink and a nudge to long time readers of the genre. Its goal doesn't appear to be overtly a trope bender though, so no one should be able to blame any momentum it gains on a 'gimmick.'

If the prose turns you off, that wont change. Don't like anachronisms? Can't help you. There is no way to gauge plot from seven chapters so all I can say is it worked for me. I liked the religious schism that is built in the background. Some of the characters fell completely flat but a few really stood out. Again, I don't think this is a game changer. But it was solid and in my mind really enjoyable.

Ok, assuming this is an actual call for discussion and not a passive aggressive way to say the book sucks (and I do apologize if I misread your intention, the tone was very similar to how you talked about Ancillary Justice not all that long ago).

This would be easier if I could just drop my review early but..

Maybe it is because the book was blurbed by Hurley but I kinda saw the book as a fantasy version of God's War, though with a heavy does of Abercrombie. It wasn't a major trope bender set to take apart Grimdark, nor a loving tribute to it; it was just a book with a familiar story and a seemingly familiar setting that twisted stuff around in the background. I thought the plot itself stood on its own, a Best Served Cold type story that had equally over the top characters and situations but tried for a slightly more serious tone.

What it does twist around a bit is the world itself and some of the common tropes of the genre. It starts with a man be fridged for instance. There is also a character who very much treats Zosia as a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl despite the fact that she never actually plays the part for him. Little stuff like that going on all over; much like a hollywood movie that gains traction for knowing the workings of hollywood this feels like it has two books going. One is a serviceable enough dark fantasy tale, one is a wink and a nudge to long time readers of the genre. Its goal doesn't appear to be overtly a trope bender though, so no one should be able to blame any momentum it gains on a 'gimmick.'

If the prose turns you off, that wont change. Don't like anachronisms? Can't help you. There is no way to gauge plot from seven chapters so all I can say is it worked for me. I liked the religious schism that is built in the background. Some of the characters fell completely flat but a few really stood out. Again, I don't think this is a game changer. But it was solid and in my mind really enjoyable.

Not going to address all of this (I'm at work), but I actually did go back and read AJ after my initial reaction because of others overwhelming gushing over it.

Still hated it. So no. No 'passive aggressive" move in my part. I pride myself on avoiding that type of shit. Out and out aggressive I prefer.

Can you explain it to me then? Is the 'mystery author' angle?

Sorry, I meant to come back to this earlier. Yeah, the mystery author may be part of it, a useful marketing tool to up the hype, but also from what I've read I just see a lot of potential for a fairly broad appeal, as far as these kind of books go. I work a pop-culture/trend/lifestyle kinda store, and I can totally see selling the shit out of this book. It's got violence, some sex, bad words and a youthful voice to make it seem hip and edgy, especially to the younger, less niche-y non-genre types. The kind of people who get into fantasy because of Game of Thrones or comics because of Watchmen or the Dark Knight or whatever, and turns out they can dig this geeky shit that can be cool after all.

I dunno, look at all these good ish to mediocre bands that sell 500,000 records iTunes downloads....

Sometimes it feels like we've become a society that wants to be the first one to have the clever, snark comment on something. We get some perverse joy our of being divisive and nasty with one another.

Is this book going to be for everyone? Doubtful. Is an book going to be for everyone? Nope. Was this "Holy shit this is amazing?" No. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I keep coming back to the sample chapters to read more? Yup. At the end of the day, that's one of the jobs of an author. This will make it's way on to my Kindle when it comes out for sure.

I can't wait to see if I earn a thread on the board when I get a book deal. It's going to be hilarious. I'm going to have to resist the urge to participate in the discussion.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes it feels like we've become a society that wants to be the first one to have the clever, snark comment on something. We get some perverse joy our of being divisive and nasty with one another.

Is this book going to be for everyone? Doubtful. Is an book going to be for everyone? Nope. Was this "Holy shit this is amazing?" No. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I keep coming back to the sample chapters to read more? Yup. At the end of the day, that's one of the jobs of an author. This will make it's way on to my Kindle when it comes out for sure.

I can't wait to see if I earn a thread on the board when I get a book deal. It's going to be hilarious. I'm going to have to resist the urge to participate in the discussion.

And see, I think we've become a society that looks to be the first one to find offense in something someone says. That people take pleasure out of pointing out possible triggers, or things that might cause hurt feelings.

Different worldview i suppose.

I would like to comment on the book though. After taking some time away from it, I've came back and reread the first few chapters (ya, I bought it. As I do most things you guys recommend on here) and I have to admit that I'm enjoying it.

Maybe it's because I'm coming off the train wreck of style that is grace of kings, but I am enjoying Crown.

As I have said, I thought it was really good and expect it to be pretty popular. But I thought the same about The Barrow last year and I think I am the only one on the forum that liked it so I wasn't sure how this one would really play out.

As I have said, I thought it was really good and expect it to be pretty popular. But I thought the same about The Barrow last year and I think I am the only one on the forum that liked it so I wasn't sure how this one would really play out.

I thought The Barrow was a great book. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the proofreading errors. There were too many. But I liked the novel so much, this was one of the rare times I overlooked such mistakes. And I am really looking forward to the second book in the series, Black Heart, due November 10.

As for A Crown for Cold Silver, I thought this was an absolutely magnificent book. It was "grimdark" in the manner of Abercrombie, while simultaneously burlesquing such "grimdark." I loved the macabre humor; it was a funny novel but a tenebrous one. And the world-building was superb, as were the unusual societal rules and the subtle parody of diversity and religion.

I think I know who the author is, and I've posted my reasoning elsewhere, which I'll repeat here: I'm pretty sure it's Mark Barrowcliffe (successful author of several lad-lit novels such as "Girlfriend 44," and of "The Elvish Gene"), who also writes as M.D. Lachlan (under which pseudonym he wrote the popular "Wolfsangel" fantasy series), and who writes as well as Mark Alder (under which pseudonym he wrote the acclaimed historical fantasy "Son of the Morning").

Thus, Barrowcliffe already has quite a penchant for pen names. Furthermore, notice that all three names that he uses as a writer (including his own) have a first name beginning with "M"; even more telling, two of those begin with "Mar," which matches up with the first three letters of the last name of the pseudonym Alex Marshall. Also, Hachette Book Group specifically states that "Alex Marshall is a pseudonym for an acclaimed author who has previously published several novels in different genres," which fits him.

Last, the attitude toward and role of religion in the "Wolfsangel" series and in "Son of the Morning" are consistent too with those of "A Crown for Cold Silver." And "A Crown for Cold Silver" is loaded with the same style of brilliant dark, irreverent humor and satire found in "Son of the Morning." "Son of the Morning" was a historical fantasy that simultaneously burlesqued the genre and religion; "A Crown for Cold Silver" does the same with grimdark and religion.

I think I know who the author is, and I've posted my reasoning elsewhere, which I'll repeat here: I'm pretty sure it's Mark Barrowcliffe (successful author of several lad-lit novels such as "Girlfriend 44," and of "The Elvish Gene"), who also writes as M.D. Lachlan (under which pseudonym he wrote the popular "Wolfsangel" fantasy series), and who writes as well as Mark Alder (under which pseudonym he wrote the acclaimed historical fantasy "Son of the Morning").

I'm definitely interested in reading this now as i've really liked both Lachlan/Alder books.

I was thinking of starting The Vagrant by Peter Newman but i think i will try the Marshall book first.

Thanks for the rec. :)

As for A Crown for Cold Silver, I thought this was an absolutely magnificent book. It was "grimdark" in the manner of Abercrombie, while simultaneously burlesquing such "grimdark." I loved the macabre humor; it was a funny novel but a tenebrous one. And the world-building was superb, as were the unusual societal rules and the subtle parody of diversity and religion.

Thus, Barrowcliffe already has quite a penchant for pen names. Furthermore, notice that all three names that he uses as a writer (including his own) have a first name beginning with "M"; even more telling, two of those begin with "Mar," which matches up with the first three letters of the last name of the pseudonym Alex Marshall. Also, Hachette Book Group specifically states that "Alex Marshall is a pseudonym for an acclaimed author who has previously published several novels in different genres," which fits him.

Last, the attitude toward and role of religion in the "Wolfsangel" series and in "Son of the Morning" are consistent too with those of "A Crown for Cold Silver." And "A Crown for Cold Silver" is loaded with the same style of brilliant dark, irreverent humor and satire found in "Son of the Morning." "Son of the Morning" was a historical fantasy that simultaneously burlesqued the genre and religion; "A Crown for Cold Silver" does the same with grimdark and religion.

I dunno. Son of the Morning was really well received, and I'm not sure why, if Crown for Cold Silver is so good, he wouldn't want to build on the Mark Alder persona.

Archived