a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

• 5 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Finished the second. I want to marry this series and have babies with it.

Anyone read any of his work under his own name? Cause I'm ordering them all.

Have been thinking about picking this up and wasn't sure if it was worth it... this is certainly strong recommendation for it.

Well, its humor, and the most subjective thing in the world is humor, but I actually luaghed out loud like 3 or four times, which is something I haven't done in a long time. Well, at least at parts that are SUPPOSED to be funny. I laugh out loud flipping through Ringo and Goodkind stuff.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, its humor, and the most subjective thing in the world is humor, but I actually luaghed out loud like 3 or four times, which is something I haven't done in a long time. Well, at least at parts that are SUPPOSED to be funny. I laugh out loud flipping through Ringo and Goodkind stuff.

I loved the first book a lot. I thought the second book dragged a bit and the plot slowed down a lot. But could be just middle book syndrome and I fully intend to read the third. 

I'm about 1/3 of the way into the second book and not much has happened at all yet.  It's still mostly people bouncing back from what happened at the end of book 1.  The humor also seems more lazily done than in the first book, but I'm also in a major reading slump right now so I'm just not in the mood to read.

• 1 month later...

It took me aaaaaaaages to pick up the first book, but I'm enjoying it thouroughly. As people said above, it has kind of Abercrombie-ish attitudes but its genre-piss-takey elements are a bit more subtle and background.

And reading this thread to find out it's Jesse Bullingdon (I notice Puntificator hasn't posted here for a while :P), I'm glad he toned down some of the elements of, at least, Brothers Grossbart, because while that book is very well written it's such a relentless parade through the shitstains on the arse of human nature that I never actually did finish it, even though it was meant to be funny (and in small doses was). Though I always mean to go back. This book is hardly light and joy, but there's a much better balance.

Still can't take Zosia seriously as a name for this person, though. I have a cousing called Zosia. She's far too nice to be in this book.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good short story by Marshall in Evil is a Matter of Perspective. It's set in this world, set before the novels. It's about the church of the burnished chain and lifts the curtain on a few interesting things at that institution. Recommended for those waiting for the third book. 

Archived