[Spoilers] Question about the trial by combat

realitybytes

Do you have any sources to support that only the kingsguard can champion the royal family?

I just remember Cersei saying something from Feast that her honor can only be defended by the Kingsguard. I guess I just assumed that applied to everyone else in the royal family.

I also remember reading that in Feast and Dance. Cersei told Margaery she could only choose from the Kingsguard. And Cersei was able to pick Ser Robert Strong because a spot in the Kingsguard opened up.

I'm confused too.

now that i think about it,i'm confused too. Can someone wiser please explain this.

When a member of the royal family stands accused, the defender can only be a KG knight.

When it is a member of the royal family who is accusing someone else (for example, Cersei accusing Tyrion), said member of the royal family is free to choose who fights in the trial.

So, this is why Cersei is allowed to choose the Mountain when accusing Tyrion. Should Cersei stand accused herself, for example, she would need a KG knight to defend her. Should any other member of the royal family stand accused, a KG knight should defend them.

• 4 weeks later...

When a member of the royal family stands accused, the defender can only be a KG knight.

When it is a member of the royal family who is accusing someone else (for example, Cersei accusing Tyrion), said member of the royal family is free to choose who fights in the trial.

So, this is why Cersei is allowed to choose the Mountain when accusing Tyrion. Should Cersei stand accused herself, for example, she would need a KG knight to defend her. Should any other member of the royal family stand accused, a KG knight should defend them.

But then Tyrion would of had to pick someone from the KG?

Since Tyrion was accused of killing the king, would a member of the KG even be able to defend him in a trial by battle? Would Jaime of been allowed to fight for Tyrion, or would that be breaching his vows?

Tyrion is no King, Queen, Prince(ss), or descends from one. He's a member of the royal family only by marriage, in which case the KG rule does not apply.

So if the kingsgaurd rule applies to the royal family, can Margaery use pull her queen card and demand he fight for her?

Demand who fight for her? If Margaery decides on a trial by combat, as she is accused, it has to be a KG knight who fights for her. That was part of Cersei's plan, before the addition of Ser Robert Strong to the KG:

As they made their way across King’s Landing, Taena had a sudden doubt. “This trial,” she said, in a quiet voice, “what if Margaery demands that her guilt or innocence be determined by wager of battle?”

A smile brushed Cersei’s lips. “As queen, her honor must be defended by a knight of the Kingsguard. Why, every child in Westeros knows how Prince Aemon the Dragonknight championed his sister Queen Naerys against Ser Morghil’s accusations. With Ser Loras so gravely wounded, though, I fear Prince Aemon’s part must fall to one of his Sworn Brothers.” She shrugged. “Who, though? Ser Arys and Ser Balon are far away in Dorne, Jaime is off at Riverrun, and Ser Osmund is the brother of the man accusing her, which leaves only... oh, dear...”

“Boros Blount and Meryn Trant.” Lady Taena laughed.

“Yes, and Ser Meryn has been feeling ill of late. Remind me to tell him that when we return to the castle.”

“Trial?” There was real fear in the girl’s voice now. “Must there be a trial?”

“How else will you prove your innocence?” Cersei gave Margaery’s hand a reassuring squeeze. “It is your right to decide the manner of the trial, to be sure. You are the queen. The knights of the Kingsguard are sworn to defend you.”

Margaery understood at once. “A trial by battle? Loras is hurt, though, elsewise he...”

“He has six brothers.”

Margaery stared at her, then pulled her hand away. “Is that a jape? Boros is a craven, Meryn is old and slow, your brother is maimed, the other two are off in Dorne, and Osmund is a bloody Kettleblack. Loras has two brothers, not six. If there’s to be a trial by battle, I want Garlan as my champion.”

“Ser Garlan is not a member of the Kingsguard,” the queen said. “When the queen’s honor is at issue, law and custom require that her champion be one of the king’s sworn seven. The High Septon will insist, I fear.” I will make certain of it.

Margaery did not answer at once, but her brown eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Blount or Trant,” she said at last. “It would have to be one of them. You’d like that, wouldn’t you? Osney Kettleblack would cut either one to pieces.”

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately for Cersai she didn't think the high sparrow would go after her. Now Margaery can use Robert Strong as her

champion in a trial by combat. But as Tyrion once told her, that she acts before she thinks things thru. The high sparrow

totally played her.She was arrogant enough to think that she could control the faith militant,not realizing the power

they could wield.Now she knows.

Archived