Chapter by Chapter Analysis (Spoilers)

Jinjoz

So I've come to the conclusion that I will be posting the chapters in order, regardless if it fits in with the episode that covers it. I think that will simplify the process and I'll just make a note in the post which episode covers this specific chapter. I usually have a back stock of chapter analysis ready to be posted so it would work out fine. I got it all in my brain so no worries.

Chapter Nine - Tyrion I - S1 E2

Commentary/Summary

Ahhhh finally a Tyrion chapter. His perspective grows to be one of favorites because his mind is so amazing to be inside. He schemes, he is witty, and you see other characters in a whole new light. We start off with him in the libary reading through a book about the changing seasons, which is probably a foreshadow to Winter Coming, it's quite a popular topic these days and in this particular area of Westeros. You got every Stark saying it so often Tyrion definitely needed to do some research on it. While he is in the library he hears a wolf howl and it send a chill down his spine; he describes the feeling like running through the dark woods naked. Kind of like when it's 11PM and your parents tell you to take out the trash so you run out there, put the trash out, and than you run back in the house before the super evil dog catches you.

This is the first time we get a perspective from Tyrion and I don't know how but we just feel clever while we read from his perspective. One thing that we start to discover is how him being a dwarf has affected him, especially when it comes to his health. His legs are stiff a lot, walking isn't the most conveniant thing for him, and he doesn't sleep very well. He finishes up his book, asks the sept to put the book back and than heads off to breakfast.

He gets to overhear Sandor Clegane (The Hound) and Joffery Baratheon (his nephew) talking about Bran and his fall. Sandor Clegane says they should just kill him and Joffery complains about the wolves. Tyrion comes in and own Joffery. Goes up, slaps him and tells him to go and pay his respect to the Starks. Now why did Tyrion go all ape nuts on Joffery? Tyrion really does know Joffery better than we as an audience know him. Now I know this gonna be a shocker but Joffery is a real ponce. So Joffery does deserve it. But Tyrion comes in with some vengence and maybe that is just the way Tyrion is, a pretty straight forward Uncle trying to straighten out his nephew cause his parents aren't doing very good.

So Tyrion heads off to breakfast with his brother and sister. Cersei and Jamie did the whole 8 year old twins at church and wore an outfit that match (how cute). They talk about Bran and they ask about his condition. Bran broke his legs and his back in the fall but than Tyrion tells them he is going to live and possibly will wake up soon. This brings up a reaction with Jamie and Cersei that Tyrion notices. The way Tyrion notices this is as if he was looking for it. Tyrion obviously suspects Cersei and Jamie of something and he may possibly know about their relationship. It is an interesting realtionship these three have. Though one big difference between Jamie and Cersei is their relationship with Tyrion. Cersei obviously hates Tyrion, for unknown reasons at this moment, but Jamie has always had a soft spot for him which is nice because so far we haven't really met anyone who likes Tyrion... besides ourselves.

So we get a moment where Tyrion kind of takes a step back and looks at his brother and sister, which where he notices they both wore similar outfits. Than he has one of those thoughts that I think we all have in our lives. He thinks 'I wonder what it would be like to have a twin'. Now think about this... two Tyrions inside of the Westeros world... Do you think they would hang out? I have a feeling they would play a lot of chess and just try and out smart each other than. Now a big queestion for yourself. If you had an identical twin would you hang out with yourself?

They continue to chat about Bran and his injuries and a few things pop up. Tyrion tells them about this connection between Bran and the his direwolf which hasn't been named yet. Whenever the wolf is close and howling Brans strength is increased while when he is a way he begins to drift away. The howling coule be a sense of motivation or it could grow a little deeper. A distance between these two's connection increases as they are near.

The second thing comes up after Cersei leaves and Jamie and Tyrion are left alone. Jamie tells Tyrion that in his opinion it is better to be dead than to be cripple. This is a pretty terrible thing considering Tyrion is right there and he is pretty much considered a cripple. This leads Tyrion to say something very interesting. Basically he says that Death is so boring while life has so many possibilities. As soon as I read this my first thought was something Albus Dumbeldore says which is the complete opposite. He says that death si the next greatest adventure. Here we get two very opposing things and I feel the biggest difference between these two is religion. while religion is not talked about a lot in Harry Potter I feel that Dumbledore would be someone who does believe in an after life while Tyrion is in love with the world and its worldly things. While religion is a bigger topic in Westeros, Tyrion doesn't really seem to be the type to be very religious.

* * * Spoiler * * *

This is a pretty interesting comment that Jamie makes considering later in the series he loses his right hand and become a cripple. Which I think is a huge wake up call and he rises through this terrible moment in his life and becomes a pretty great person.

Book Owns:

-1 to the Hound for suggesting they kill bran

-1 to Joffery whining about his wolves

+1 to Tyrion for the Joffery burn

+1 to Jamie for caring for Tyrion

+1 to Tyrion for the Joffery slap

+1 to Tyrion for the Wailing Whores comment

Favorite Character: Tyrion +2

Book Vs Show

So A cool little thing I found out. During the epening scene with the map and all, when it shows the rings going around that big glowy orb, it actually tells the basic story of rebellion. The first time you see the ring it shows a dragon ruling over all the people. The second time you see it shows a stag and a wolf fighting the dragon with the lion near by. The last time shows a Stag ruling and the other animals bowing to it. Pretty dang cool, easy to miss because when you see the rings it is only for a small moment.

Another cool thing that doesn't have much relation but I found it out while watching this episode. Nymeriah was a warrior queen who actually conqured Dorne and Arya named her wolf after her. Cool thing is it was she who conquered Dorne at one point.

So this scene is summed up nice and well. Peter Dinkledge is an amazing actor and just by watching him act your grow to love Tyrion as a character. Props to the writer for throwing in three slaps to Joffery instead of just two as it in the books. The conversation between Cersei, Jamie, and Tyrion is shorted just enough to get that suspicious look between Jamie and Cersei. Overall a good job.

We get an added scene after this where Cersei goes and visit Bran and Catelyn. Now even that first sentance is kinda hard to believe. Cersei is definitely someone that we are keeping our eye out on. So she goes in and catelyn is by brans bedside and it very seems seems like she has neevr left his side. ersei tells her about her firstson and how he was killed by the fever at a very young age. Now we have to kinda bring in information that we know from the future story. Why would Cersei go and visit Bran? Based on the scene just before this she wanted to checck in on Bran and see how he was, and piossilbe poison him if no one was there. The story was just to cover herself up in my opinion.

By the way I can't watch part of this scene without thinking of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864gdSC9KOA

Show Owns

+1 to Tyrion for adding in an extra slap, love it!

+ 1 to Tyrion for being the 'cool' uncle

+1 to Cersei. While this is not for helping like her but man she pulled off that story about her first son dying, she's a good liar.

Chapter 10 - Jon II - S1E2
Commentary/Summary
This chapter is pretty short and not a ton of things happen. Basically Jon is going around and saying goodbye to everyone before he heads up to The Wall. His first stop is to see Bran. Now what is interesting is that It has been two days since Bran was pushed out the window by Jamie and Jon still hasn't come to see him. As he enters Catelyn is there and an instant tension is radiating out of Catalyn, which is why he stayed away from Bran. He goes in and Catelyn instantly starts questioning Jon but he holds his ground and spends some time with Bran. As he is leaving Catelyn kind gets grumpy at Jon and tells him that she wishes that it was Jon instead of Bran. Holy snap girl... I mean I know her reasoning but really, you don't need to get hostile towards him.
One thing that is interesting in this scene is that Catelyn talks to Jon about how she had prayed that Bran would be able to stay in Winterfell with her instead of going to Kings Landing with Ned. Now this is kind of that classic three wishes scene, be careful what you wish for. This could give us an insight into Catalyn that her faith in the New Gods is slipping away or it could be that this will be a reoccurring theme throughout the series. I'll have to keep my eye out for more moments like this.
After this sort of tense moment Jon heads out to the yard and says goodbye to Robb. This is a good scene for Robb because it describes his situation perfectly. His father is leaving Winterfell and he will be the Lord of Winterfell and he is rising up to it. He is out and about giving orders and getting the show on the road, go Robb! They have a good genuine heartfelt goodbye and heads off to see Arya
Jon brings Arya a parting gift, her own personally crafted sword that they name Needle, for her despise of sowing. This sword is small and the blade is thin and is described by Jon to be used to poke your enemies full of holes. One thing that seems to be implied a lot in this series is that speed is better than strength and I'll keep my eye out for more of these moments. This scene is another good moment between them and it just furthers the point that these two love each other and it is rather painful for them to be separated. Hopefully they will get back together somehow. Just a small note, I'm sure that he said goodbye to Rickon on and Sans a as well. At least hopefully. We don't get a lot of interaction between some of the Stark children
Interaction chart so far
Robb: only interaction with Jon and Arya (in the show)
Jon: no interaction with Sansa or Rickon
Sansa: only interaction with Arya
Arya: no interaction with Rickon
Bran: no interaction with Sansa or Rickon
Rickon: poor Rickon he is only in the book for a small snippet. He is only three.
So here we see that Sansa is one he keeps to herself the most and Arya is the one with most, just another thing to separate them. Which I know most of the interaction happens between the pages and scenes, because it well established that this family is very close. George establishes all the relationships that are important to the series and the we don't need to focus on.
Book Owns
-2 to Catalyn for being a jerk to Jon Snow
+1 to Arya for her good relationship with Jon
+1 Jon for giving Arya an amazing parting gift
+2 Favorite Character: Jon for being a good sibling.
Book Vs Show S1 E2
We get an added scene here before Jon goes and gives the sword to Arya. While he is waiting for the sword to be made we get a moment between him and Jamie. Jamie is very smooth and has a silver tongue. He thanks Jon for making the decision to serve in the knights watch but with a slight twist of dishonoring the Nights Watch in his voice. One thing to notice is how young Kit Harrington looks in that particular scene. Add his young looks and what Jamie is saying and it leads me to feel like the Nights Watch isn't going to be anything like what Jon thinks it will be. And just a small thought, Jamie kinda mocks that serving in the Night's watch is 'only for life' but he is a member of the Kingsguard whose service is for life too and has the same basic oath (no kids, no lands, no marriage), so you don't got much to say there bud.
The next scene is of Jon giving the sword to Arya and I feel that they pulled this scene off perfectly. the love that these two characters have for each other showed so well between tha that it just melted my heart just a little bit. I've watched all of the first 4 seasons and it makes me sad that these two don't see each other for a while So points to them.
The next scene is when he goes and visits Bran and there are a few added dynamics that I liked and one I feel a bit confused on. The first one is they that they made bran and Jon's relationship a whole lot stronger feeling than in the book. in the book it was more like hey goodbye Bran hope you get better. Buit the showput a whole lot more emotion into it and of Jon talking about having Bran come visit and so forth. I loved it. They also had Catelyn only say 'I want you to leave' to Jon instead of the other things and she said it was such hatred that that was all we needed to hear and I loved it! The one i'm a tad unsure how to feel about is that after to Jon leaves we get a small moment between aNed and Catelyn. Catelyn is bascailly pretty ticked off at Ned that he is leaving. I know this goes along with the show story but in the book the idea for Ned to go was more of Catelyns idea and I definitely like book catelyn a little more than show Catelyn right now. But than again she is grieving so all she is doing is understandable.
The next scene is of him saying goodbye to Robb and sadly the chemistry just insn't there for me. It was just hey i'm leaving, all right see ya. But I feel like besides Arya Jon's best connection is with Robb but I feel like they didn't pull it off in this scene, sorry. The last scene which is added is of Ned and Jon together and Jon asks about his mother. This really is one of the only connection scenes between these two and I loved it. They really showed the contrast between his love for Jon and Catelyns hatred for Jon. So good Job Sean Bean. Point to you. And just saying Jon got a lot of good screen time, most of his chapter was covered.
Show Owns
+1 to Ned for his good connection with Jon
+1 to Jon for his stronger connection with Bran

Chapter 12 - Eddard II - S1E2

Commentary/Summary

Ahhh a good morning ride.... Roar. Good thing Robert is king. So they are on their way to Kings Landing, about a months journey, and Robert needs to talk to his newly appointed Hand. Robert is king and he knows it. Even though him and Ned are close friends sometimes Robert plays the 'I'm the king so you have to do what I say' card. They ride out and Robert reminisces on the good old days. He wants to just keep riding and leave all of his duties and family behind. Sometimes I wonder why Ned and Robert are such good friends. Part of it I'm sure is because they grew up together but I think Robert does in some ways understand that he likes trouble and the worldly things and Ned keeps him grounded, which is why he trusts him so much. We also get a name drop of Jon Snows possible mother, Wylla, which Ned quickly shuts down and moves from that topic.
There was a rider in the night with a message from Lord Varys, the master of whisperers. One. I thing that they mention a lot is those people who served The Mad King during his reign, which I believe is important to remember because these people have been through the crazy storm and have experience with these things. We get a small look into Ser Jorah's back story and we find that it was Ned who had exiled Ser Jorah and justice was never served in Ned's mind.
Ser Jorah has decided to turn spy for the crown so he can earn a royal pardon and is know informing them of Daenerys's wedding. This brings up the past of Robert and his hatred for the Targaryens. During his rebellion Tywin Lannister became Roberts Hunter of Targaryens, killing children and babes to wipe them all out. Roberts hatred is returning and wants Dany dead.
So we really like Ned, lots of people see him as on their favorite characters. So when Robert is ranting and raving we are think 'oh Robert relax and listen to Ned'. I disagree and side with Robert on this one. If there was anything that even poses a threat to a kingdom I ruled over I would prepare to defend it. Now I'm not down for killing children but Ned and a lot of people are just ignoring this huge possible threat from the East while Robert wants to prepare defenses and attack. If hate to give a negative point to Ned. It I think he is blatantly this threat in the east.
Now we get to Jamie which is a hard character for me to criticize him because I know his history. But I will do my best to view him as a first time reader. Jamie has been named Warden of the East and Ned doesn't agree, mainly cause Tywin is warden of the west, so the Lannisters own half the armies. Need argument is that he broke his oath as a member of the Kingsguard, sworn guard of the king, by killing The Mad King, giving him the name Kingslayer. Here we get another moment of Ned's duty. Ned sees Jamie as an enemy because he broke his oath and killed the Mad King. Now we don't have many details at this point of his reign but we know it was bad. So in my opinion Make was in the right to kill the king. But Ned is so duty bound he cannot ignore this and feels Jamie should be executed. To add to that he feels that the way Lannisters overtook the Targaryens, by swearing loyalty and than backstabbing them a moment later. I'm sorry Ned but your just a little too noble right now.
Book owns
+1 to Robert, your house sigil should be a hedgehog
-2 to Tywin Lannister. The problem is we are viewing this from Ned's point of view and it taints are view. But for a first time reader Tywin is a bad guy in our minds for killing babies.
-1 to Ned for ignoring the threat in the east
-1 to Ned for being overly noble
Favorite character: Robert. I'm on his side when it comes to a good chunk of these political issues, sorry Ned.
Book Vs Show
This is a great scene, mainly because it is straight from the book. there's a small added part about a gal with big boobs but other than that a lot of lines are right out of the book. This is just another bit evidence that shows how awesome of a write G. R. R. Martin is, I love it!
Show Owns
+1 to Ned 'Worst thing about your coronation is I'll never get to hit you again'.

Chapter 13 - Tyrion II - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

Tyrion is off to The Wall on a Skyrim like adventure when you have to go all the way across the map just to pick something up an all the way back, thanks for fast travel! We get some amazing descriptions of the landscape that bring us on this journey with Tyrion and it is pretty amazing. In the description we get a moment where they hear a bunch of wolves howling and Ghost continuously pricks his ears up. This is another plug in for the connection between the wolves and their owners. Ghost is giving up his moment with these wolves to stay with Jon and Tyrion takes notice of this.

Just a quick reference this is the party that is heading to the wall:

Jon Snow

Tyrion Lannister

Benjen Stark

Yoren: Member of the Night's Watch bring up new recruits

Two of his recruits

Two guards to go with Tyrion

Frequently on the trip they would set up camp and Tyrion would head off to read. A big part of this chapter is to give us back story on the history of the dragons. The power that the Targaryens had and how they had fallen. Which you can read about in the book. Basically those dragons were the reasons the Targaryens could rule. They could destroy armies and ruin everything. It's pretty dang intense.

As Tyrion is reading and reminiscing on his love for dragons and his experiences with the skills of dragons, Jon snow pops in. Jon Snow just asks him what he is up to and Tyrion goes off. Tyrion has this sense about him that he speaks and than thinks at moments when he is talking casually to someone. Part of the reason I think is he has grown up in an environment where he has been humiliated all his life, it has desensitized him to not care what he says to other people.

One of the big things of topic in this chapter is that Jon starts to question the honor of the Night's Watch. These two new recruits are rapers and being sent their to be punished. One of the most amazing things is that Jon accepts that and continues with his quest to be apart of the Night's Watch. Tyrion busts in with a good quote: 'Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it'.

Than we get a 'Jon's a jerk' scene in my opinion. Tyrion finishes his rant and he says a couple things about him hating his family and how Jon does too. Jon flips and Tyrion has a moment of 'ahh man I shouldn't have said that'. So he gets and up and Ghost hops to him and puts him on the ground. While Tyrion is trying to recover Jon just stands there and wants an apology... what a jerk. Tyrion amazingly swallows his pride and asks for Jon's help. They walk to camp and they end up respecting each other. I think part of it is they both realize each others strengths. Jon realized that just with Tyrions words he was reduced to frustration and almost tears while Tyrion was put into submission by Jon and Ghost.

Book Owns

+1 to Tyrion for accepting who he is

-1 to Jon for being a little punk

+1 to Tyrion for a good quote

Favorite Character: Tyrion. We get to see him building up his strength and knows what he is good at.

Book vs Show

So were with Jon and Tyrion out in this wilderness and Tyrion says something interesting that made me think. So he says that joining the Night's Watch is like 'discarding your old family and getting a whole new one' and than it shows a quick shot of Benjen Stark. I still don't know the reason Benjen went and joined the wall but it is possible that Benjen wanted to leave his family, that maybe he wasn't welcome or something happened. hmmm curious.

This is another scene that is brought pretty straight out of the book. One thing I was hoping for was a little more talk about the dragons and that bit of background we get from Tyrion. But I'm sure it'll pop up somewhere. Tyrion is a little more snarky in the show in my opinion but it is funny. I think him and Jon make a small connection here, just by the fact that they are both outsiders and hey both recognize that in each other.

Chapter 14 - Catelyn III S1 E2
Commentary/Summary
Back to Winterfell we go. We got Catelyn mourning over her son, which in truth is understandable. her husband is gone with two of her kids, Jon is gone so that is a plus for her, and her son might die at any moment. Maester Luwin comes in and we see that Catelyn has been neglecting her duties and things need to be taken care of. Catelyn flips out on Maester Luwin and says that she doesn't care about anything other than her son coming back. Now I'm not going to jump ahead in the story but there are quite a few crazy moms in this series... which I'm wondering why that is. Most of them are crazy over their children, usually in an over protective way. Most likely reason is that that is just the way the world is. They now that this land is pretty fierce and unforgiving and they want their children to live as long as they can keep them, since people tend to grow up faster in this world.
Let's take a moment and add a few more reasons for Catelyn to be as hysterical as she is. We have the obvious but we also need to remember that she has not been sleeping and rarely eating, she is not taking care of herself. I know that this leads me to be just a bit cranky. For the next reason we have to remember back to her first POV chapter. This is not Catelyn's natural environment, she feels like an outsider here and with her family leaving for Kings Landing I'm sure she just feels abandoned in a strange land, adding to the stress. One thing that really sets her off is when she hears the wolves howling. It could just be a stress freak out but it could be that she fears this omen of the stag and the direwolf. She doesn't see a purpose in these wolves, the stag (Robert) has already taken Ned (The wolf) away and now she is left to ponder on the five abandoned pups.
During her freak out Robb comes in and i'm telling you he is rising up to being THE Lord of Winterfell. After he consults with Maester Luwin he kinda lays into his mother and tries to set her straight. We've discussed before how Catelyn does have a favorite child, Bran. Brans accident took Catelyn completely away form her other kids including her three year old son Rickon. We get a moment here where we get to see Robbs real age here and we are reminded that he is only fourteen and trying to run Winterfell on his own, with less people than his father. Points to Robb for this and for slapping some sense into his mother
As Robb is going to the window he see's that the library is on fire across the way and runs off to save the day! Just a quick note, the library being on fire is a huge deal! Books are rare and to see it all burned is really sad. So Catalyn stays behind and she turns around and a man is standing their with a knife. He says that Bran has suffered long enough. Catalyn fights the man and goes all momma bear on him. So he gets her from behind and shoots to slit her throat and she pulls off probably one of the most B.A. moves this series. She reach up and grabs the knife blade... that is probably one of the most painful things I can think of. Anyways, she fights him off long enough until Bran's wolf comes in for backup and shanks that fool.
So Robb and everyone comes in and begins cleaning up and get Catalyn cleaned up and she passes out for four days. Sometimes I wish I could pass out for four days. She wakes up and we quickly learn that a good night sleep is all she really needs because she does a complete 180 and is back to normal Catelyn, finally. She brings in Robb, Luwin, and a few others to discuss what happened. They find out the guy had a dagger and a pocket full of cheddar and come to the conclusion someone hired him. Just a funny bit, they find out he was hiding in the horse stalls and Hodor was making some noise about it, but everyone thinks he is special so they ignored it. Always listen to Hodor! Catalyn tells them her suspicion about the Lannisters and she decides she needs to ride to Kings Landing, Ser Rodrick accompanying her.
All right now, who hired the assassin? I don't know yet actually. One thing about George is that for something the payoff for some mysteries don't come for quite some time. So we can only speculate. Main two suspects for me is Cersei and Jamie, which is understandable and I think it is pretty obvious. Tough from my experience with these two I'd bet money that it was Cersei who actually gave the order. Jamie is more of a don't worry about it, there is no way he will live. Cersei wants to make sure the job is done. We shall see though.
Books Owns
+1 to Catalyn for grabbing the blade
+1 to Robb for stepping up and showing up his mom
Favorite Character: Robb Stark. He really just steps it up and though there are moments where we see his true age, those moments when he is Lord Robb Stark are a huge character improvement for him.
Book Vs Show
Holy snap! This scene was filmed so good! One thing I absolutely love about it is how sudden it was. Robb comes in and the fire comes up quickly, the assassin pops out of nowhere, and we are left just as confused and unsure about thing as Catelyn is. When she reaches up and grabs that blade I just sat their cringing, so good! The only thing that I feel they missed out on was a little character development on Rob. The book let's him talk for a little while longer and we see that he really is just a boy trying to be a man. While we see that in the show I feel that it isn't portrayed as strongly.
We get a small added in scene before Catelyn talks to her counselors about her suspicions. She goes to where Bran was found and than goes in the tower and finds a blond hiar. I think this was actually pretty important because in the book she was just kinda like oh ya I think it was the Lannisters and I was kinda confused by that personally. So I think it was a good add in. By the way I think theons name has only been mentioned once this whole time so for those who aren't familiar with him they must have been thinking 'who the heck is this guy'?
Show Owns
+1 to Maester Luwin for shutting down Theon and Robb

Chapter 15 - Sansa I - S1 E2

Commentary/Summary

This is our first POV with Sansa and... were not really all that excited sadly. Our view on Sansa is that she is a girl who is living in this fantasy land and is making sure it stays that way and we are not disappointed. We start off with her and Septa Mordane talking and I got two things to point out. One, an auroch is kind of like a yak with less fur. Two, Septa Mordane has a beard... which really made me laugh, I did a double take and was like huh.... so of course it's a lumberjack beard right? So there chatting and Sansa is invited to ride in the carriage with the queen and the princess. So she heads off to tell Arya while her direwolf Lady follows her. Even Sansa points this out, these direwolves are taking on the characteristics of their owners and Lady is the same, very gentle and proper as is Sansa.

She finds Arya near the river brushing out mud from Nymeriah's fur. This scene is basically her telling Arya that she needs to get cleaned up and Arya saying no. We get a good look into Sansa at this moment and the feel for her relationship with Arya. Sansa wants everything to be like it is in the songs and Arya is messing it up. While I do believe she loves Arya she just wants her to be more like a lady and live in this world she has created and share the happiness. Arya is happy in her world with adventures and playing in the mud and looking for new things. She goes off and finds flowers for her father and than gets a rash because of it, it's a world of adventure with Arya which is why we are really on her side rather than Sansa.

A small note that is really cool. So two chapters ago we had a huge section devoted to the description of the trip up North to the wall. There was frost, snow, the tress had a cold feeling, the air was biting cold. Now were heading south and the descriptions are just as visible and you can feel it. There's moss on the trees, the sun is covering the ground, the air is thick. It is absolutely amazing.

So Sansa huffs off and runs into a crowd. Renly Baratheon, Barriston Selmy, and Illyn Payne have come to be a royal guard for them to Kings Landing. Sansa has a moment where she is paralyzed with fear over Illyn Payne.This guy is pretty intense, he has his tongue cut out and he carries around a great sword... there is nothing more B.A than having a great sword slapped on your back. So anyways, keep an eye on Illyn Payne he is pretty creepy.

So the queen decides that they will have to post pone the ride and Joffery comes up and offers to entertain Sansa for the day. Sansa's heart gives a skip and they head off on their galant adventure of looking in caves, eating fish at an inn and drinking wine... their twelve... So as there out about they come across Arya and a boy named Mycha. There practicing sword fighting and Joffery decides to interrupt the party. He see's that Mycha is hitting Arya during the sword fighting for practice so he goes and shoves a sword in his face and tells him to pick up his wooden stick and fight him.

So than a bunch of crazy things happen. Arya smacks Joffery with rock, Joffery goes after Arya cursing at her and trying to kill her really, than Nymeriah comes up and owns Joffery so hard. Joffery is on his back whining and Arya comes up with Joffery's sword... and... she chucks it into the river.Go arya! What an arm! Overall a pretty good chapter and it really places Joffery in his place, he's a real jerk.

Books Owns

+1 to Arya for bringing the flowers to her father

-1 to Sansa for being a brat and overly lady like.

+1 to Arya for her adventurous life

+1 to Renly for his pretty chill mood

+1 to Barriston Selmy for comforting Sansa

-1 to Joffery... Lion's Tooth? Come on... lame

-2 to Joffery for trying to kill Arya

+1 to Arya for owning Joffery

-1 to Joffery for being a whiny little punk

Favorite Character: Arya for kicking Joffery in the rear.

Book Vs Show

This scene got stripped to the bare bones, which is pretty understandable. This chapter is up there as one of my favorites. Most sansa chapters aren't but this one was really a lot about Arya and her advenutres and how different her and Sansa are and I feel it got lost in this scene. The guy who playued Joffery is a really good actor cause i'm telling you from the second you see him you just really really don't like him. Just a prideful little punk. This was just simply a chapter that is rather difficult to to put into film. To me this scene in the book was HUGE! it was just a big event and I feel the show didn't give it all the attention it needed.

Now that I think about it i feel like Sansa really didn't have much a character in this scene. She is supposed to be swooning over this guy and I feel like she was just going along with the flow. I do think they did sum a lot of her thoughts thought by having her yell 'your spoiling everything'. That includes the dream fantasies she has about Joffery

Chapter 16 - Eddard III - S1 E2

Commentary/Summary

We start off this chapter with Ned and all of the royal party out looking for Arya and it has been three days since the incident of last chapter. This girl is intense, how many kids that are 8 can go out and live in the wilderness for 8 days. B.A. points to her. Finally Poole informs Ned that she has been found but was taken directly to King Robert and Cersei. This would tick any parent off. His kid has been missing and she is carted off to see the Queen, most likely for a trial? So Ned heads off and it's kind of funny, he walks there. He says that he is the Hand and needs to keep his dignity. I guess its a way to show he isn't weak I guess? But he's just caring about his kid thats all

So Ned gets there and Arya is fine, just dirty and a bit banged up. The trial begins. On one side we have a concerned father, his child and on the other we have Robert who doesn't give a damn about what is happening, Cersei who is out for blood, and the whiniest sounding punck kid you can think of. When I started ranking thing I realized that Joffery would go down pretty quick so I resolved to try and not be too harsh. But gosh darn it, he deserves the negatives. Arya tells her story, Joffery tells his story and the King doesn't know what to make of it. Probably one of my favorite Renly moments happens and it's him laughing at Joffery for losing Lions Tooth to an eight year old with a stick. I love Renly he is one of my favorites.

Than Ned asks Sansa to come forward and tell her side of the story... which she forgets and basically declines. This is so infuriating. She knows what really happened but her dreamy state for Joffery is overpowering her love for Arya and her family. What is really frustrating is that Ned knows Sansa's side of the story because she told him the night before, which really must tear Ned apart.

So since their is no evidence as to what happened the kids aren't punished but the bite on Jofferys arm is clear that one of the wolves did it. Robert basically throws his hands up and says all right kids don't need to be punished but Cersei is determined to harm Ned in some way. There is huge contention between these two and Cersei wants to take the first stab at Ned and attacking his family in some way is probably the most vulnerable part of Ned. Now this is the part where we get mad at Robert. Cersei demands a wolf be killed, Arya's wolf is gone so she wants Sansa's wolf dead. Robert basically says whatever I'm done with this and moves on... what the flip Robert your the King! Rule! Sansa should not be punished for something Arya has done, well ehr wolf has done. Robert doesn't like these verbal conflicts, he can't win them. So when Cersei is throwing this fit Robert just gives in to shut her up, even at the pain of Ned's daughter.

Now we get the good honorable Ned scene. Cersei commands Illyn Payne to kill the dog but Ned demands that he do it himself. He actually at first tells Robert that he must do. 'whoever passes the sentence should swing the sword'. But Robert just leaves them. So Ned goes out and kills Lady and commands that her body be brought back to Winterfell to be buried.

Let's take a second and talk about these two wolves. We know that these wolves are connected to the children so whatever happens to the wolves will most likely happen to the kids. so I have three theories. First is of Nymeriah, Arya's wolf. So we know that Nymeriah can't be found and we will find out that Arya actually let her go and made her leave so she wouldn't have to die. I think this is a foreshadow of Arya's future. She is going to be on her own, a vagabond and she is going to start her own adventure. The next two are for Lady. Sansa's wolf. We can take this literally and it could possibly foreshadow Sansa dying by the hand Arya or because of something Arya did. the second is a little more symbolic, at this point Sansa has betrayed the Starks. She didn't bring forth her truth and is now kinda separated herself from her family. Lady dying could symbolize her decision to stray away from the Starks and move on into this dream land she has.

To wrap up the chapter Ned is heading to bed when The Hound comes trotting up with a dead body on the back of his horse. While Ned assumes it's Nymeriah it is actually Mycha, the butchers boy that was practicing with Arya. This is just he nail in the coffin for the sadness of this scene.

I just wanna do a quick death count so far. Jon Arryn, Lady, Mycha, and... well we don't know about Bran... and the three Night's Watch members... I thinks thats it. 6.5 deaths so far. If I missed any let me know.

Book Owns

+1 to Arya for surviving for 3 days straight

+1 to Ned for being a caring Dad

-1 to Joffery for whining and being a mommas boy

-1 to Cersei for being harsh to Arya

+1 to Renly for hsi awesome humor

-2 to Sansa for lying and not sharing her story

-2 to Cersei for wanting blood and to hurt Ned in some way

-1 to robert for ignoring the matter

- to Joffery for smiling as Ned goes to kill Lady

+2 to Ned for wanting Lady to be buried in Winterfell and for being a good dad to his kids.

-2 to the Hound for Killing Mycha

Favorite Character: Renly Baratheon

Book Vs Show

This chapter is covered pretty decently by the show. I love this searching scene for some reason. To see Ned and his people out there at night looking Arya just really shows how loving of a fatehr Ned is. When he gets back to the inn, which in the book is done at a castle but heck thats a whole other set so understandable, they have this mini trial. A good chunk of the script comes stright out of the book which I do like. One line that I wish was in the show was of Ned telling Robert that he should swing the sword. But I can say I am happy with the line 'Is this your command you grace.' I feel that it really sets it in that ned is out of his element here. he is used to giving the commands and it pains him that other people are making these decsisions but it is his honor that drives him for ward to kill lady.

Show Owns

+1 to robert for the 'You let this little girl disarm you?'

+1 to Sean bean, so Ned. I don't know he said 'Is this your command your grace' in just perfect town of hoping Robert would a better ruler than he is.

Chapter 17 - Bran III - S1 E2

Commentary/Summary

So we get the dream sequence and a lot of this is open to interpretation, and I think some of the things he saw will be a light bulb moment for us as we read, but for now let's get to speculating. So in this dreams Bran is simply continuously falling and a crow is accompanying him. I think Bran is simply just remembering his last memory and the feeling of falling. As he is falling he notices that his skin is drawn thought over his body, so he looks like he is only skin and bone. I don't have a confident answer on this but my first thought was that he isn't a man yet. He is just a scrawny little kid who hasn't had a lot of experience and he is weak in that area.

This crow continues to fly around Bran and he asks for corn so Bran pulls some out for him/ Bran is worried about reaching the bottom. Cause usually in dreams you wake up just before you hit the bottom but he is very unsure about this. The crow talks about flying and tells him he could fly if he wanted to. All of a sudden Bran can see Westros and every person in it. He basically turns into a satellite with a very intense lens. And what he sees is very interesting. He look South and he starts to see his family one by one. Catelyn is on a boat heading to Kings landing and a storm; the storm representing a whole heap of trouble. Ned is pleading with the king, Sansa is crying herself to sleep. This is in regard to what happened with Lady. Between Catelyn and Ned we now know that Bran is seeing the present but at any location he looks. He looks and sees Arya and says that she is holding a secret in her heart... Now what could this secret be? hmmmmm Could be just her development into the character she eventually becomes.

Around his family he sees a few shadows. One has the face of a Hound, representing Sandor Clegane The Hound. The second is one that is dashining and covered in gold, that would be Jamie, i think. The third is huge man with stone armor. This one I'm very unsure of... well.... I guess the Mountain would be a good guess. Stone armor... the mountain? Ya get it? Now why these three i'm a little unsure of. First thought is that these three men will effect the Starks in a big way? alter their path in life?

So he wakes up. In his dream a big he saw was North of The Wall and all its terrors. The crow told him winter is coming. Bran is scared and keeps falling. Once he wakes up he sees his Direwolf and names him Summer. This could be a name representing the relief and the hope of summer to come and get rid of Winter. Another thought I had, how sad is this! He just a dream of falling and in the end he starts to fly, he says it is better than climbing. And than he is crippled and will never walk. Just a sad thought for him to being doing he loves and waking up and realizing it can't be done.

Book Owns

Favorite character; Bran. A lot of Brans chapters seem to be mainly of his thoughts, not a lot of dialog. Being in his mind is really fun because that is where we truly see what kind of person he is.

Book vs Show

Sadly the only thing we get in the show about this chapter is Bran waking up. I feel like this is a good choice because this chapter kinda opens up this world pretty wide and while books can do that and get away with it I feel like this dream would just overwhelming to the audience so I'm in favor of this not being in the show

I apologize for not posting the past couple days, life happens but I got plenty chapters coming

Chapter 18 - Catelyn IV - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

So we start out with Catelyn and Ser Rodrick on a boat heading towards kings landing and we can tell that Ser Rodrick is not too fond of boat rides. Most of the time he is puking over the edge but he isn't one to complain. Possibly a little bit sassy and snarky but hey its Ser Rodrick. Now... let's take a small moment of silence for Ser Rodrick's beard............. let's think about this we spend about 2 paragraphs and and a small snippet later all about Ser Rodrick's beard. This guy was growing it for forty years people! G. R. R. M. is obviously a fan of bears and feels they deserve their respect.

They land and their captain gives them a good suggestion of an inn and it is important to know that even though Catelyn and Ser Rodrick are traveling in disguise the captain of this ship does know who they are. Remember that. So Catelyn and Ser Rodrick head off the inn and Ser Rodrick plans to head out and grab the master at arms for Kings Landing so that he can identify the dagger.

While he is off finding the guy Catelyn takes a nappy nap and wakes up to someone banging on the door. A member of the City Watch is sent by Peytr Baelish 'Littlefinger' to retrieve Catelyn. So Catelyn heads out and here we get a small bit of history of the building of Kings Landing. Maegar the Cruel was actually the one who saw the completion of Kings Landing and than he had all of the builder killed so no one would know its secrets... so nuts! I'll tell ya what that takes some dedication.

Here we get introduced to two of the most sly and sneaky players of 'The Game'. Peytr Baelish was actually a ward to Catelyn father back when they were kids. When Catelyn was betrothed to Brandon Stark Peytr challenged him for her hand. Peytr being more of a talker rather than a fighter lost pretty dang bad. Catelyn father saw this as more an insult so he was sent off and Catelyn hadn't seen him again until now. First impressions of Littlefinger is that he is one of the sliest guys you'll ever meet. Catelyn tries to tell him she is just down to see her family and he already has her all figured out. He calls her on her bluff and does it in a very sophisticated way. Most likely my view on him is influenced by the show but I feel you can get that from the book

Than we get Varys, the Eunuch who is known as the Lord of Spiders. They call him Lord Varys but it has nothing to do with him actually being a Lord. Varys has the skill to always know what is going on and he shows this by being revealed to be the one who knew that Catelyn was coming to Kings Landing. He refers to them has his little birds. This is actually something quite interesting. Peytr and Varys are two players of the game that play the deceptive card quite a lot and they have a symbol in common. Peytr has declared the Mockingbird as his sigil and Varys refers to his spies as his little birds. To me this is just a symbol as to how information can travel very fast if you have the right connections. Peytr and Varys take the information and use to it's full potential.

Varys and Littlefinger take a look at the dagger and Varys is unsure about it but Peytr has an interest in it. Turns out the dagger is actually his. So Catelyn has a freak out moment but than Peytr than tells him that he lost in a bet to Tyrion Lannister.

Now when I first read this I was just like no way it couldn't have been Tyrion who sent the assassin, he had no reason! So I started thinking about this and I re read how Littlefinger lost this dagger. He says that Tyrion had made a bet with Littelfinger that Jamie would lose in the joust. Jamie did lose and Tyrion got the knife. I realized why in the world would Tyrion bet against his own brother? Let alone the brother that is one of the best fighters around? So for me I really think that Peytr is lying from the very beginning. So we shall see.

Book Owns

+1 to Littlefinger for being extremely clever and very interesting

-1 to Varys. foro ur first meeting him he is very nosy, which i probably how he knows everything, but he is just overly personal and just in your face.

Favorite character: Petyr Baelish. I really feel that Peytr is going to be a huge player in this series and I am excited to see how this all works out.

Book VS Show

I absolutely love Catelyn's and Littelfingers relationship. It's like a older sister younger brother thing where they hate and love each other at the same time. I am just amazed how they can take so much from the books and compact it into this short scene... but than again I have read the books so that probably effects how I watch the scene... anyways. All in all a good scene. Littlefinger does a great job.

Show Owns

+1 to Catelyn for a good arm

Chapter 19 - Jon III - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

We start off with Jon in training with the other greenies of the Night's Watch. Needless to say Jon is a pretty dang good swordsmen and he shows it by taking down every new recruit in the yard. Ser Allistar Thorne is the Master at Arms for Castle Black and is not too pleased with any of them, he general isn't pleased with anything for that matter. We get a little history of the past couple days and Jon isn't really enjoying his time in Nights Watch. One thing that really gets him going is people begin to call him 'Lord Snow'. The history of the Night's Watch has done a complete 180. At first it was a noble calling and it was revered as such an amazing thing. Now a days it is simply a place for criminals because they haven't done enough bad things to be executed. So while in an earlier time Jon would have been revered for hat he has done now a days he is the preppy kid on the block.

So Jon beats them all and Allistar Thorne really isn't impressed. he says 'you didn't beat them, they lost'. Which I'll talk about a little bit later. So Jon is heading to put his things away and we learn that Jon at this point is a pretty proud and kinda snoody guy. He starts going on about how no one else can beat him in combat and how he hates everyone. It's like middle school but intense! His judgments come from the other recruits lack of combat skills so he does view himself as better than them. He continues to pretty much whine about how horrible it is. Jon you signed up for this! grow a pair my friend! can't wait until he starts maturing. Kind of like Harry Potter. He goes through that angst year and is kind proud of himself but soon he'll mature up.

So he goes into the armory and the other recruits follow him and start to beat the snot out of him. Jon is able to hold his own for a little bit but soon is looking like he's going to be in trouble. Donal Noye pops in who is the blacksmith for castle Black and he breaks up the fight but he has Jon stay. And points to Donal Noye for this awesome smack down he gives Jon. Basically this, Jon grew up in a noble house, had his own master at arms to train him, and him going out and beating up on all these other guys who have no training is super uncool. Throughout this whole speach Jon is just taking it in and his pride is bruised so hard. He just submits himself to Donal's words and leaves. He still has a fe wmoments of emo like behavior and it got me thinking, can't he leave? They have to go through training and than they swear their oaths. Since Jon hasn't sworn an oat he could leave right? I doubt his pride will let him but he could if he wanted.

He runs into Tyrion and Jon describes him all wrapped up in his furs like a mini bear which made me laugh. Cause he comes out of nowhere so it's one of those quick cuts to him all stuffed up like Ralph's brother from A Christmas Story. They head to get some food and Tyrion gets to do another repeat of his advice. He tells him that he needs to jsut accept the name Lord Snow and it won't harm him anymore. A good theme, accept who you are and if other people make fun of it it doesn't really matter. Also a good question, what are Grumpkins and Snarks? And yes I just googled it. I guess so far no one has actually seen them they are just a mythical creature that people don't really believe in.

So there eating and Alistar Thorne informs Jon that there is a raven from Winterfell for him. He rushes to it, find out Bran is alive, and than he goes off and picks up Tyrion and is all happy. Okay... This is another one of those scenes in the books that just throws me off. We just went through a bunch of brooding moments and some serious conversations and Jon goes running around like he is in a Disney movie and picking up dwarfs and cracking jokes. It was just too much of a 180 for me and I personally didn't like it.

Books Owns

-3 to Jon Snow. this whole chapter he is just whining and complaining and it just really took a toll to me. come on Jon grow up.

+3 to Donal Noye for his smack down!

+1 to Tyrion for repeating that good counsel he gave to Jon

Favorite character.... no one for this chapter. I would give it Donal Noyle but he isn't that big of a character as far as I know.

Book Vs Show

This episode is very jumpy just so you know. A lot of little scenes. Kit Harrington is the man, he handles that sword and those fight scene very well and it is very believable. Good and accurate to the story, most of the lines are form the book once again. So they go and put their stuff away and they ambush Jon and than Tyrion walks in. Tyrion replaces the role of Donal Noye and gives them a talking too. They leave Jon be and Jon is kinda wussed down right here. They let him go and he is relived, he didn't put up a fight but is relieved to not be dead. Tyrion than starts taking down Jon's ego and man I'll tell you he does it so well. Jon responds with his own 'i'm better than they are' and so goodd that he gets a negative for it. One cool thing about Tyrion is he tells Jon the stories of Grenn and Pyp, shows that he does his homework the clever Imp And thank the heavens that they didn't put in Jon picking Tyrion up and spinning him around. They did it quick and easy I love it

We than get an added scene that is described in the book but don't actually see it in real time. Jon heads up the Wall and we truly start to understand how big this thing is. He walks along the top of the wall and meets up with Benjen. I think it was important to actually have this scene because when it happens in passing it's liek oh all right. but with them actually showing it it creates a connection between Jon and benjen while in the books Benjen is kind of this background character. One thing they added that I liked is that Jon still thinks he is better than all of them, it still hasn't gotten through, and Benjen needs to remind him of that.

Show Owns

+1 to Tyrion for taking down Jon's pride

+1 to Tyrion for doing his research

-1 to jon for his 'I'm better than they are'.

Apologize again. I plan on posting these rankings after each episode and it just slipped my mind. but here are your rankings up to E2 of S1

Season 1 E2 Rankings

Eddard Stark: 17

Tyrion Lannister: 15

Jon Snow: 13

Arya Stark: 12

Ser Jorah Mormont: 7

Robert Baratheon: 8

Maester Luwin: 6

Daenerys Targaryen: 5

Bran Stark: 5

Renly Baratheon: 4

Kahl Drogo: 3

Robb Stark: 1

Catalyn Stark: 0

Theon Greyjoy: -1

Jamie Lannister: -1

Barristan Selmy: 2

Sansa Stark: -4

Cersei Lannister: -4

The Hound: -3

Tywin Lannister: -2

Joffery Baratheon -8

Viserys Targaryen: -10

All righty so we got a couple new players in the game. The Hound, Renly Baratheon, Barristan Selmy, Ser Jorah Mormont, And Tywin Lannister. Arya and Tyrion climbed the charts very quickly and are catching up to Ned. While Jon Snow is 3 points ahead of his E1 rankings he did get a chunk of negatives for his cocky and prideful attitude and he couldn't stop Tyrion from passing him up. What do you think about the rankings so far? Anything I need to change about my system? Just in case you don't know, When something happens that changes my view on the character I give them a positive point or a negative point. I can give out 1-3 points depending on how big on an impact the act is. Let me know what you think.

Here's S1 E1 Rankins so you can compare

Eddard Stark: 14

Jon Snow: 10

Arya: 5

Kahl Drogo: 5

Tyrion Lannister: 4

Daenerys Targaryen: 3

Bran Stark: 3

Jorah Mormon: 2

Robert Baratheon: 2

Robb Stark: 1

Catalyn Stark: 1

Sansa Stark: -1

Joffery -1

Jamie Lannister: -3

Cersei Lannister: -3

Viserys Targaryen: -7

Chapter 20 - Eddard IV - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

Ned and the family arrive at Kings Landing and Ned is quickly summoned to attend the Small Council which he is not very excited for. He gets dressed and has up where he is assaulted with the greetings of the Small Councel. First he get Varys, his least favorite for some reason. There really isn't a reason given s to why he dislikes him but Very isn't helping on that area. Very gets up in his grill a little bit and is all oh I heard about the trip and so on and annoys Ned.

So here we have the small council. Liittlefinger, Renly Baratheon, Lord Varys and Master Pycelle. Ser Barriston as the leader lot the Kingsguard and Robert Baratheon are also on the council but are not available and according to the others Robert rarely attends the council; he finds it tedious and boring. So they begin this council meeting and it is very obvious that Ned is the new kid on the block and all the cool kids are making fun of hi. Not really but he is out of his element. There is even a moment where he despises their war of words and wants to move on.

One thing that is very interesting is this whole time we are on Neds side because we like him so much but I am finding it very hard for me to not like Peytr and Varys, as they are the two main players of the small Council. Well Renly is too but he has never done anything to anger us or to distrust him. So as their going through their quips were just laughing along with them.

So they get to talking about a big important thing Ned wants them to do and it turns out it is simply a tournament to celebrate the new appointment of the Hand of the King. Ned goes through all he rewards plus the expenses and it turns out to cost them a hefty amount. Littlefinger tells them they will have to borrow the money which shocks Ned. Turns out Robert spent too much time having partys and now the crown is out of money and in debt to various lenders, mainly the Lannisters. This really shocks Ned but everyone on the Small Council is pretty chill about it. They kind of have this attitude of well we'll follow Roberts orders but were not gonna actually council and refuse to do things that are going to destroy the economy of this land.

So Ned is getting pretty frustrated with them because they aren't being of much help at this moment. So he heads ends the meeting and heads off to bed. On his way to his chambers Littlefinger intercepts him and tricks him into following him. Littlefinger tells him that Catelyn is in town and he knows where she is. So on their way to her Littlefinger is finding every moment to take a jab at Ned. They get out of the castle and they cimb down a rock face and Littlefinger is casually waiting for Ned, eating na apple, which is pretty funny moment for him. They head up and discovery Littlefinger has kept Catelyn in a brothel and Ned is not happy about it.

We get a funny moment before Catelyn and Ned get together. Ser Rodrick shows up and tells Ned that Catelyn is inside and he is concered of people recognizing Ned. SO he casually tells Ned to 'feel a couple breasts on your way through' so that he will blend in. made me laugh cause I definitely don't remember reading that before. So they go in and Catelyn and Ned have a little reunion and they chat and Catelyn tells her the story. Get a cool moment where Ned is amazied by the story of Summer defending Bran and he begins to worry about the fact that he killed Lady. He recognizes that these wolves are a blessing to his children and Sansa now doesn't have one which is quite sad. So Ned is now warned and ready to take on the royal court. We get a good funny moment, Catelyn goes up to Littlefinger and tells him how much a friend and a brother he is to her. FRIEND ZONED!

Book Owns

+1 to Littlefinger for his clever sarcasm

+1 to Littlefinger for being able to eat an apple so quickly

+1 to Littlefinger for his comment about him needing to keep his wicked reputation.

+1 to Catelyn for an intense friend zone

Favorite Character: Littlefinger. He is one of the most interesting characters and this is a great introduction to him.

Book vs Show

A small change that I noticed was in the book when Ned arrives in Kings Landing and the steward invites him to the council Ned asks if he could change into something appropriate. this signifies that Ned is honorable, once again, and wants to respect those of the small counci. In the show the messenger asks him to change which shows that Ned is in a more higher up place with higher standard, but Ned just owns him with the look he gives him.

We get an added scene between jamie and Ned and it is just this little war of quips o absolutely love it. They are matching each other throughout this and we also get a little back story on the death of Ned's father and brother. In the end Ned gets on top so plus one to him. He heads into the small council and we get to meet Littlefinger, Maester Pycelle and Varys. Ned goes through his reactions quickly and accurately. we do not know wy Ned is not a fan of Varys but we will go along with it. Casting wise I believe they did it perfect, especially Littlefinger and Varys.

Fun fact: Sean Bean was noted on set for stealing other people's sandwiches.

We get a change in this scene from the book when Littlefinger brings Ned to see Catelyn. While I understand why they changed it it still bums me because I feel like in the book Littlefingers character is established a whole lot better. In the show he just kind of casually tells Ned that he knows where his wife is and he just kinda comes off as this snidey little smart ass while in the book he is but more... sophisticated in it? something like that. They get in sum up the meeting with Littlefinger promising to help Ned discover what is up, nice and simple. The next day Catelyn heads out and while its pretty standard one thing they do so good with is Ned and Catelyn's love. Sharwe a good kiss and a good little laugh togther, overall a very good couple.

in between all this jumping around we get a scene between Jamie and Cersei. Cersei is worried that Bran is going to tlak and Jamie is just reassuring her that Bran doesn't even remember anything. Now sometimes it is hard to remember that these two are twins and they are committing incest because Jamie than tells her that he will kill Bran, her husband, anyone it takes until they are alone together. which in some ways it is romantic and than you think about it and you still go ew. Once thing that I notice in the show is usually it's Jamie who initiates all of the love making and he wants her pretty much all the time. cersei is just interesting. I think in the show it is shown more than she knows it is wrong but she loves him and so forth. So it's an interesting dynamic there.

Show Owns

+1 to Ned for the glare he gives this guy

+1 to Ned for winning the war of words with Jamie

Chapter 21 - Tyrion III - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

Tyrion is leaving The Wall! No! Deserter! Kill him! no... no. Just kidding he is done with it and ready to go home. He's hanging out in the big mess hall feasting on a bucket of crabs which sound extremely delicious right now this early morning in the morning for some reason. Him and Mormont are chatting and Allistar throne gets all hurt and challenges Tyrion to a duel. Tyrion promply gets up and starts to fight him with his metal fork and wins! Allistar Thorne walks out of the hall with his tail between his legs. Tyrion brings up he fact that we all need to be mocked from time to time to keep our pride down. They continue to chat and there is a point where Master Aemon chimes in and tells Tyrion that he is giant among us and Tyrion is very much touched by this. Any time Tyrion recieves love or praise from others it really hits him hard. Growing up with a father who never showed him muhc love this typical 'daddy issues' behaivor.

Once there good and fed Tyrion and Mormont sit next to the fire and talk mainly about the needs of the Night's Watch and his journey home. A point for Tyrion, when Mormon insists that he send a few of his men to guard him while he is on the Kingsroad, Tyrion instantly suggests Jon. Mormon won't allow it since he is too new and won't want to come back. I have this experience actually. I spent two years in Alabaman a mission for my church and one thing we did to keep ourselves focused was we had limited contact with our friends and family. I'll tell ya if they sent me back to my family even just for a little bit I probably wouldn't have gone back out.

The Wall is extremely low on men, Mormon says he only has enough men to have three men guard each mile of The Wall. Probably one reason for the Wall being so short on men is because nothing has really happened. No one has attacked the Wall so why send men their to guard it? I'm sure most people in Westeros look at The Wall and don't see a reason to go and join the Night's Watch. Tyrion listens to about half of Mormonts speech and you can tell from his thoughts that he starts to really not care about it. Tyrion just believes there are better things to focus on.

As Tyrion is heading to bed he walks by the elevator to go up the Wall and has an impression to go up and get a good last look at the surroundings. Just a crazy thing, there are actually stairs going up The Wall. 700 feet of climbing the stairs! Ahhh... so not fun. and I'm sure a lot of switchbacks. So he gets up there and the guards are just telling him to not slip or fall off the wall, Tyrion picks a direction and starts to walk. Through the snow he find Jon and his wolf on patrol. They begin to chat about Tyrion heading out, about Jon sending a couple messages to his family and such. Than we get a moment where they call each other friend and this is a good moment. Jon and Tyrion respect each other for what they are. Tyrion is outsider because he is a dwarf and Jon is an outsider because he is a bastard. I think they both have respect for each other becuase they are both trying to achieve something that most people believe they never will. All in all a good bromance that we sadly don't see much of later,as far as I know.

Book Owns

+1 to Tyrion for his fork duel

+1 to Tyrion for thinking of Jon and wanting hi mto be his guard

+1 to Jon for his friendship with Tyrion

Favorite Character: Tyrion. He is the main perspective and this chapter just shows hat he does have a heart and cares about certain things in his life.

Book Vs Show

This scene is replaced by a simple one between him and Yoren. There speaking of their lives and the topic turns to the weirdest things they have eaten Yoren's being bears balls. We never hear what Tyrions was but that have a good laugh. Than Benjen comes in and kills the mood. get all serious and Benjen goes on a small rant of how all you high lords don't know whats North of the Wall or what we go through type of deal. Overall a good scene and I think it aims to Tyrions character. soemtimes he lieks just kicking it back and drinking with another dude and swapping stories. Sad we didn't see a fork duel. We than get a moment where Jon is actually teaching theo thers how to fight instead of just beating them up which is good. Than Tyrion heads in and we get that little speach from Mormon and Maester Aemon. Good and forboding, reminds us that we can't just forgeth the Wall and what it is stopping.

And than we get his final Scene with Jon which was pretty quick to me. This episode is very jumpy and it kinda bothered me to be honest. Very speratic. But Tyrion fulfills what he has said and he pisses off the wall. Hurray!

Show Owns

+1 to Tyrion for pissing off the wall

Chapter 22 - Arya II - S1 E3

Commentary/Summary

Hurray! It is finally dinner time. I guess we did just have crab but heck can anyone ever say no to a good rack of ribs? So Arya, Sansa, and the rest of the Winterfell host are sitting down to eat when Ned walks in. Ned looks around and says 'I see you started without me. I am pleased to see that here are at least some men with some sense in them left in this city'. That is the kinda dad we all should be! So he sits down, he's tired and grumpy. We get some history through Arya thoughts about dinner. Dinner always took place in the Great Hall and Ned always ate among his men. You can't expect men to die for you if they don't know you.

Than the girls end up saying something mean to each other and Ned is pretty fed up with it. He excuses himself and get a little dialog within Arya and we learn something about her. Lady and Mycha's death have affected her more than anyone else. She used to look around at all these people from Winterfell and see her friends but now she sees people she hates. She looks around and sees cowards. They all let the queen kill those two and ven afterwards there is no retaliation or uprising or anything. they just let it happen. I think this is the starting point of Arya becoming what she becomes later in the series.

Arya gets up and heads off to her room but not without an uproar from Septa Mordane. She runs for it, slips under Fat Toms legs and slams the door and locks it. I don't know why but this next part was just a warm fuzzy for me. Fat Tom is asking Arya to open the door and asks if she is in there. Arya yells back, No! And Fat Tom walks off with Arya feeling pretty clever, thinking Tom believed her. I think Tom just knew she didn't want to be bothers so he just let her be. Arya wanting some freedom grabs her sword and looks out the window in a very magestic manner

Ned comes up and wants a visit with his daughter. First thing that talk about is the sword and where she got it from. Arya is just about to him when he waves it off and says it doesn't really matter anyways. He marvels at Arya for a little while, says she looks and acts like Lyanna. Calls her beautiful and Arya uis a littel surprised and feels some daddy love. This leads to Arya sharing her feelings of guilt for Mycha's death. It is really hard for her to accept this but it wasn't her fault for their death. It was the Hounds fault and his alone.

We than get the real story of Nymeriah and Arya. Arya eventually had to throw rocks and make Nymeriah go away which is really a sad thing considering she was one of the starks who seemed to care and love for her Direwolf the most. I think the fact that Arya had to push her wolf away signifies that she is choosing the path she will eventually go on. And I doubt this is the last time we will see Nymeriah.

Than Ned says something that I think is very foreshadowy. Basically he says that Winter is Coming and that during winter wolves have to stay together, keep each other warm, and share strength. He tells Arya to hate those that she needs to hate, those who would do her or her family harm. Okay... I don't know this but this is what I think might happen. I have a feeling that in the end all the Starks are going to to be dead. Now like I said I don't know that to be true or not. the only thing I know is this; the Starks do not stay together. They spread out near and far and are all on their own little adventures and I really don't think they are going to last. I know that is super depressing but that is just a theory, no facts involved there. Out of that advice though, Arya does hate those she needs to hate as her character develops.In the end Ned gives Arya back her sword and she is full of joy. This chapter is going in as one of my favorites

Book Owns

+1 to Ned for the dinner comment

+1 to Ned for having a good relationship with his men

+1 to Arya for the Fat Tom moment

+1 to ned for loving his daughter

-2 to The Hound for emotionally traumatizing Arya

+1 to ned for letting his daughter have the sword

+1 to Arya for being a good daughter

Favorite character: Ned. He is an awesome dad and just has good words to say, I love it.

Book Vs Show

We get a small scene between Joffery and his mother Cersei before this dinner scene. they are talking about Joffery's rise to power and we have a shocking moment to me. Joffery actualyl admits and seems to feel guilt about what happened to sansa's wolf... I can't believe it but +1 to Joffery... and thn about a minute later he starts raving about crushing the North and calling the Starks his enemies. He believes they are better than them and they deserve to be punished because of it. His mother isn't helping, promising that everything will be how he wants it.

This scene is wonderfully summed up. the dinner is quick, sansa refuses a gift from her father (what a bra) and Arya and Ned have a talk. Out of all the casting they did I believe Sean Bean and Massie Williams are probably the two of the best. There connection on a father daughter level is amazing. They hit all the important points and it flowed great. One thing that I am glad they left out was ned's comment about wolves having to stay together. He says the basics of it but not in full detail. I think if he said the whole thing with the wolves it would end up just being very ominous and too foreshadowy for a tv show.

The final scene of the episode is when Arya meets her dancing master. Let me tell you this, I will tak ea afro over a bald man any day. Ayrio is amazing, very fun and very... you just believe him and know he has got skills and Arya is loving it. We than get the ending scene which in my opinion was ana amazing add in that I wish was in the books to be honest. As Arya is practicing Ned comes in and is watching. At first he is happy but than the training gets more serious and Ned is looking at his daughter and you know he is thinking 'my daughter is going to be in the middle of this war' and we hear distant sounds of fighting and death. it is just amazing, I really feel that Aryas story is unfloding very well. One thing I want you to remember is how Syrio Talks. he refers to himself by his own name and its something to remember for later.

Show Owns

+1 to Joffery for feeling guilt

-1 to Joffery for being a proud little git

-1 to cersei for filling her kids head with the thought that everything will be how Joffery wants it.

-2 to Sansa for being a little brat to her dad! yes -2, she is annoying me big time right now

+1 to Ned 'War was easier than Daughters

Favorite character for Episode 3... No one for this episode. Overall the episode wasn't my favorite, I feel we didn't get to spend a long stretch of time with each charaacter.

*** So Sometimes I proof read these and sometimes I don't, so I apoligze for spelling errors and such. I plan to end up printing all these out and bound them so I will have to eventually but heck, i'm sure yall don't mind. Also I'm a tad behind, I had to do some rethinking as how i'm going to do this in the order I want so I'm a tad behind but no worries I still got the fuel to do this***

Chapter 23 - Daenerys III

Chapter/Summary
The first few paragraphs of this chapter is one reason why G. R. R. M. is an amazing writer. he just took grass and made it amazing! We look out at our front lawn and see it as boring compared to the grass he just described. Tall grass stretching for miles and miles in shades of yellow, red, milk white. It's amazing! If I had three wishes this would be one of them. I don't know why but Ser Jorah described Ghost grass as it muders all other grasses. And I know that it means it infests and kills other grass and grows in its place. But when I first read it I read it like he was saying Ghost grass is rad or sick grass.. like oh man that grass is so murder! it was funny in my brain. Oh and every time Ser Jorah says Kahleesi it makes me laugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOIh8QDGhg
Dany starts to think about her brother and man he is hating his life right now and most likely regretting his choice. Turns out Illyrio offered his home to Viserys while dany went off to Val Dothrak. Viserys's pride would not allow him to do that, he wants to stay in control of Dany but at this point he definietly losing that control. Dany is started to accept the Dothraki culture and is becoming one of them. She even gives a command to the whole kahlasar! that is huge for Dany. She is usually a very timid person and Ser Jorah notices this. Oh and let's put a plug in for Ian Glen, the actor who portrays Ser Jorah. The description of Ser jorah in the book is that he is quite ugly, body like a bull... look at Ian Glen and tell me you don't think 'man what a hunk'.
Dany has another dream and it has changed and has a huge affect on her. It is simply her standing their looking at a huge dragon covered in her blood and than it breaths fir upon her and she reaches out to the fire. When she awakes from this she is a whole new person. She is more independant, she has become physically stronger and can ride with the Dothraki, it's pretty amazing. This dream I think has to do with her cleansing herself of her past and moving on and accepting the strength of this dragon. Like a motivational dream deal.
There's a couple comparisons I want to point out. Dany was having a rough time riding, she would get blisters and it was just painful for her. But one thing that was always there was this connection with ehr and her horse. Though Kahl Drogo had one of her handmaidens teach her to ride she really didn't need it. This connection really reminded me of Direwolves connections to the starks. Though most of the time her horse is just used to get around we should keep an eye on this horse and maybe it will foreshadow events for Dany, like the wolves do. Speaking of the Starks it's interesting how Dany and Arya have the same sense of adventure. They both love to ride and explore. dany could probably jsut be carried or something liek that but she rides ahead with Ser Jorah and she loves this world she is in just liek Arya. I really think that Geroge has set up a lot of Character mirroring and I'm gonna keep track of it on a seperate page and see what I get.
So Dany hops off her horse andh eads into the grass to just have a moment I guess. she loves the wilderness, she loves the dirt on her fett. And than Viserys comes bursting through being a jerk and all and basically attacks her. Danypushed him back which is a huge shocker to both of them actaully. Than Ser Jorah and a couple of the Kahl;s bloodrider s come up and whip the snot out of Viserys. And than dany does something pretty intense, she takes away Viserys's horse. to the dothraki that is one of the biggest insults that you can do and Dany is now in control. Viserys orders Ser Jorah to kill the bloodriders and to hurt Dany, and he refuses. this is a big turning point for him. he swore his allegiance to them but Ser Jorah knows that viserys will most likely not survive all of this, so he sides with dany. So of course Viserys is pretty pissed off while dany and Ser Jorah ride away. One thing that is pretty big in thsi series is of people breaking their oaths and not getting away with it. There is a chance that something bad is gonna happen to him becausehe broke his oath to viserys, we will see
Than we get a good conversation between these two. Dany is completely freaked out and scared over what she just did to Viserys and she is back to being worried and being the absued one. Ser Jorah asks dany if she can see Viserys on the throne and she comes to realize that he won't, even if Drogo gave him his armor, no one respects him. oh and just to throw it out there TITLE DROP! First one of the book. We see a transformation in dany right now, her reality is becoming clear. She grew up thinking her brother was going to be king, people are praying for his return but Ser Jorah sets all that straight and dany is now seeing life as it is and not by the lies that Viserys and Illyrio had filled her head with. She can see clerly now... the rain is gone... she can see all obstacles in her way.
Nopw with Viserys, in her mind, done with and most likely won't retake the kingdom Dany is probably wondering what she is going to do. She is in charge now and she sets her own path. While she is really accepting this new way of life she still longs for a home, and that home to her is Kings Landing. So I don't know if she will every get across the Narrow sea but we shall have to see.
Just a few little miscellanious notes. The story about the moon being a dragons egg is pretty dang awesome. And this is also the first mention, I believe, of magic in this world. we have all played skyrim so when we first started reading this we were all waiting for magic to pop in but it hasn't. so now we know that it exists but according to Danys story it sounds liek it is a very rare thing for someone to have magical abilites, it seems to mainly be in this land and not in Westeros. We also get the ending of the chapter wit Dany being able to please her husband and not just be an object to him. At the very end we find out she is pregnant and it says it was her 14th name day. Now I'm just assuming that name day does mean the day she was born and it is just a fancy word for birthday. But there is a tiny tiny tiny chance that it could mean something else. Maybe a year after the baby ios born the name is officially given or something? I;'m mainly saying this cause its pretty creepy for a 14 year old to be preganant. Luckily they aged them all in the show. Just another thought I had I wonder if Dany is suffering from a sort of Stockholm's Syndrome with Drogo. Kind of like a beauty and the best type deal. Make the best of what you got I guess
Book Owns
+1 to Ser Jorah for describing grass in such a good way
-2 to Kahl Drogo for ignoring his wife and not treating her well
-2 to viserys for attacking dany and being such a baby!
+2 to dany for standing up to her brotehr and being more a commander
+1 to Ser Jorah for siding with dany
+1 to Ser Jorah for the comment about Viserys being a shadow of a snake
Favorite character: Ser Jorah. He is becoming a very interesting person. He is from Westros but he knows so much about dothraki culture it is really cool actually.
Book Vs Show
S1 E2
This part of the book is split in the show. The very first scene the talk abotu the amazing grass and some of the back sotry we hear through Danys thoughts, mainly how miserable she is riding with the kahlasar and Ser Jorah Mormont comforting her. One thing that they do so well in the show is pick the important thing s and find ways to bring them up in the show. While at times it may get rid of some of the beauty of the book it certainly keeps us focused on the important facts.
Now this chapter is actually split between two episodes. Episode 2 'The Kingsroad' mainl;y deals with ehr having a rough time adjusting and her having sex. So really not that impressive to me. uneeded girl on girl action and her sex scene with Drogo just kinda bigs me so I just skipped over it.
S1 E3
We get a small scene just before this one that I really enjoyed, glad they added it in. At least I'm 90 percent sure it is added, maybe the information they talk about is in the book but scene is added. Robert is in his chambers talking about war stories. Talks about his first kill, a punk Targaryen kid and he relives his glory days. Ser Barriston Selmy tells of him killing a man with a lance through the heart. Robert goes off on lancel Lanniset, cousin to Jamie, and kicks him out to get more wine. Jamie is borugh in and tells of his first kill, a clean beheading. Barriston was there when that happened and they all kind of bro out for a little moment which is really interesting becuase Robert doesn't respect Jamie at all. He has Jamie stand outside his door, a glorified sentry he calls him. Very interesting
Anyways onto Dany. So there riding along and they add in a good emphasis in this scene. She asks Jorah about the slaves that Dothraki have and he tells her that when they ride by a city, they can either pay tribute by giving them slvaes or they can fight. most people jsut give them slaves. This really sets dany off in the direction that she will eventually go on in the series. So she just kinda hops off the horse and walks in the grass which was pretty random in the show, flowed better in the book. Viserys comes, Dothraki whips him, and so on. One of the best parts though is when the translater tells the boodrider to let him go he goes 'huh?' and the look the translator gives him is priceless I love it. One big mistake they made in my opinion is that when they head back to the Kahlasar it isn't dany who commands that Viserys walks but the bloodrider and I think this is just delaying danys character building which is in need at the moment.
The next scene is of her learning the Dothraki language. By the way I found out G. R. R. M. pronounces it Doth Rack I instead of Doth Rack E. Pretty cool sounding. Her learning howt o speak Dothraki is the big difference between her and Viserys. Viserys will not conform to the culture while dany is accepting it and becoming one of them. Her handmaiden makes the notice that her stomach is swelling and... dun dun dun... she's prego!
We than go to a scene of Ser Jorah and a Bloodrider talkng about different weapons and armor. While the Dothraki have the speed ser Jorah talks about armor and a broadsword can be just as effective. And once again we actually get the 'speed is better than size' drop. This is the second time so far and it is interesting how many times it has been brought up. The hand maiden comes in and informs them of her being pregnant and Ser Jorah immediantly gets up and says he has to head to a nearby city. Interesting eh?
Show Owns
Faviorite character of S1 E2 I'll have to give tooo... Catelyn. Her scenes were definitely the most memeroable to me and i'm still givng her a huge boost for grabbing that dagger and fighting to live. Go her!
+1 to Jamie their Bro moment. I know at this point it is hard to give points to Jamie but when he tells the story of him killing the Mad king we sympathize with him for that moment.
+1 to Barristan Selmy their Bro moment
+1 to Robert their Bro moment
-1 to Visarys. I know I've already given hi ma negative for what he did but his voice just make him even more of a terrible person

All Right everyone here is your rankings for S1 E2. We are introducing the Hodor count! Hodor needs his spotlight and were going to see how many Hodor's we get to hear from him, just for kicks.

Tyrion has really shot up pretty high he is just barely behind Ned at this point.

Jon has dropped below Arya and that is well deserved in my opinion. I can see Arya pulling up to being one our favorite characters

Littlefinger has joined the game and has started out with a good score with *. He is one of my personal favorites so I have a little bias on him but I'm doing my best to stay neutral.

The only thing that really surprised me is Varys being at a -1. But honestly in the book he is very.. creepy really and just rubs you the wrong way in the beginning. I think that

Eddard Stark: 26

Tyrion Lannister: 25

Arya Stark: 14

Jon Snow: 10

Robert Baratheon: 8

Petyr Baelish: +8

Ser Jorah Mormont: 7

Daenerys Targaryen: 5

Bran Stark: 5

Renly Baratheon: 4

Barristan Selmy: 2

Robb Stark: 2

Catelyn Stark: 2

Rickon Stark: 1

Lord Varys: -1

Tywin Lannister: -2

Jamie Lannister: -3

The Hound: -5

Sansa Stark: -6

Cersei Lannister: -7

Joffery Baratheon -8

Viserys Targaryen: -10

Hodor Count: 5

Anything you don't agree with? Have your own line up for up to this point? Let me know! S1 E4 chapters are coming soon!

Quick announcement. So I have figured how to graph all the character points that thy have been accumulated and I think it it will be interesting to see how they change on our minds. Also a small change in the way I do thongs. Sometimes when I do my notes on the show I feel they are a bit dull. So I've decided to shoot worry about doing show notes unless their is a new scenes added or a change too a scene. Oh and I got a handful of chapters done so expectpone a day for the next week

Chapter 24 - Bran IV - S1E3 & E4

Summary/Commentary

Back to Westeros and to Winterfell. Bran is now trying to cope with his new condition of being a cripple, though we learn he won't admit to be one. Bran is looking down at his little brother Rickon and let me tell you this kid has got some guts. He's out there running around with two wolves and he is laughing and giggling and having the best of time of his life. Which only feeds Bran's sad feelings. I'm not going to give Bran any negative points this go around because he is in a pretty depressing situation. He wakes up a cripple to find almost his whole family has left him and he feels quite abandoned. He doesn't remember how he feel and hurt himself so he is blaming this crow in his dreams.

So he's sitting their and Old Nan is rambling on about a couple stories. We get a little bit of her background. Turns out she is Hodors Great-grandmother (Thank you for the edit by CaptainTheo) which is pretty cool. She came to Wintferfell to take care of Brandon stark (Ned's brother) when her mother died giving birth. There are a couple of characters whose mothers died while giving birth and I'm gonna keep track of it in case their is a connection. So Old Nan is trying to tell a story and Bran is being a bit picky. So Nan tells him all about the White Walkers and she goes on for a page and a half about them. Now why is their so much time dedicated to this? My only though is maybe it is just to remind us that the White Walkers are out their and they are going to become a big player in this game eventually and we need to keep them on our mind.

Oh and we get to learn Hodor's real name, Walder! So the question remains, what does Hodor mean? Okay best theory I have heard and made me laugh. First off Hodor is a Targaryen, cause everyone is secretly a Targaryen right? So Hodor is actually an ancient Valarian word that when said activates the magic in dragons and he can control them. So yes Dany, Hodor is our secret weapon against you = )

Okay a quick thing, what do yall think about amnesia in stoires? I think most of the time this is a cop out but I'm willing to let this one slide because it changes when certain events happen. Since Bran can't reveal who pushed him out the window or of Jamie and Cersei's incestuous relationship that part is delayed until Bran remembers or someone else figures it out

So Maester Luwin and Hodor come in and bring Bran downstairs to Tyrion who has just arrived from the Wall. So we go down and Robb is going on 'I'm Lord Robb' all over Tyrion. He's got his great sword out and it tries to intimidate Tyrion and overall it is just a 'come on Robb really?' So after all that Tyrion begins talking with Bran and Bran is not happy because Tyrion is treating him like a cripple. Tyrion basically says that he is a cripple blatantly and than offers them a chance for Bran to ride a horse again. He pulls out a drawing for Maester Luwin to look over and he approves.

Than we get a scene that is just like 'really? Why you gotta be that way'. Rickon comes in and all the wolves follow him. The wolves instantly head for Tyrion and start growling and snapping at him. Robb, Bran, and Rickon call them all off but it is just surprising. So why do the wolves go after Tyrion? I really don't know to be honest. My first though is the wolves just don't trust the Lannisters because of what happened to Bran and the wolves somehow know. But that is just a guess. I guess Summer could have tweeted it out ton the other wolves.

After the meeting Bran goes up to sleep and he has a dream of him climbing. He's climbing up this tower and he sees these gargoyles and he makes an interesting observance. He says they look like they used to be lions but they are twisted into a grotesque face. This is definitely him reliving his moment when Cersei and Jamie pushed him out the window. The gargoyles are even the one who push him because he overheard what they said. So this is his subconscious trying to talk to him and also puts another negative look on Jamie and Cersei. And actually the gargoyles faces are said too have looked like lions I believe, another connection to the Lannisters

Hodor wakes Bran up an they head down to have dinner with the men of the Night's Watch who are visiting. They hear the news that Uncle Benjen is out and lost beyond The Wall. We get an overly emotional reaction from Robb which Yoren basically shakes his head at. Just a quick note, a rule in fantasy or most books is this. If you don't see the body their is a chance that they are not dead. Important to remember that because Benjen comes up a good amount of times in the series and if he is mentioned so often than he can't be gone... right? After dinner Robb brings Bran up to his bed and they have a good moment of talking about going to visit Bran and their family getting back together. This really reminds us again they they are both just kids having to do adult things, so this is hard on them.

Book Owns
Hodor Count: 5
+1 to Rickon for no fear
-1 to Robb for being overly 'Lord Robb'
+2 to Tyrion. He didn't need to stop in Winterfell or draw up that saddle but he did. go him.
+1 to Robb for being the man and admitting his fault
-2 to Jamie for traumatizing Bran
-2 to Cersei for traumatizing Bran

Book Vs Show

S1 E3
Okay what the flip! ha ha ha okay so the scene we get is pretty accurate to the book. Old Nan is telling her stories but holy snap. The music is suspenseful, they zoom in slow on each of their faces. It's kinda creepy and I'm really not sure what to think about it. And than BAM Robb comes in the room and wants some time alone with Bran. He basically asks how he is doing and Bran is just depressed which I don't blame him.

S1 E4
So we actually get a small snippet of one of Bran's dreams. Not as cool as his real one but hey it brings up the important part. Basically he is walking in Winterfell and a crow flies by. He follows it and he finds that it has a third eye. Third eye usually symbolizes a sort of sight, the ability to see the future. Bran needs to know what this Crow knows and that will play a bigger part later. And ladies and gentlemen I give you Hodor! It's just cool cause I've heard him in interviews so its cool to see him on screen. So Theon comes in and has Bran taken down to see Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion gives Bran the plans for his new saddle and I actually didn't like this scene compared to the book. It was rushed a little too much for me and everyone was just pretty grumpy in my opinion. It was just like dude this guy just came in and gave your brother a chance to ride and your mad at him.

Next we get an added scene between Tyrion and Theon and I'll tell you... Tyrion was just a jerk in my opinion. I was wondering when I would give Tyrion his first negative point nad here he deserves it. Basically this scenes point is to establish the character of Theon, that he is a prisoner, that he likes whores, and that he seems to be forgetting the Greyjoy way. While Theon makes a few of his own stabs at Theon Tyrion just lays it into Theon and its just like wow bro come on. Can't we all just get a long? But anyways a good added scene. And just in case anyone is confused, Theon is what you would call a Ward to the Starks. He is their hostage but is treated like a highborn and is kind of like collateral in case the Greyjoys rebel again kind of deal.

Show Owns
+1 to Robb for being a good brother to Bran
Favorite character for Episode 3... No one for this episode. Overall the episode wasn't my favorite, I feel we didn't get to spend a long stretch of time with each charaacter.
Hodor Count for the show: 2

-1 to Tyrion for being a real grump
+1 to Theon. this is kind of for sympathy but I feel his intentions in all of this were good.

I'm really enjoying this read. Just a small note - Old Nan is Hodor's great-grandmother, not his mother. I was really annoyed at Robb Stark in this chapter (and the adaptation) the way he treated Tyrion when he is supposed to be the Lord of Winterfell.

Archived