Theories on Benjen Stark

Reynestorm

I think he is the hooded man at Winterfell and that he is not responsible for the killings and that Big Walder killed Little Walder. I think there is something in Winterfell that Benjen needs maybe in the fight against the Others or is there because maybe there is proof of Jon's parentage in Lyanna's tomb. So I feel that Benjen is not there because he is a deserter, but because he is there after finishing his mission and possibly had help from the COTF in getting there through the rumored secret tunnels of Winterfell. They know Benjen is a Stark and would not betray the secrets of Winterfell to anyone else.

Yes, me too.

Ah, Benjen. I'm *almost* going to miss the "Benjen is Coldhands" threads!

I'm fan-girling here, but I think he's alive. GRRM has mentioned the caves up north juuuuuuust a few too many times, imo. I think Benjen is too Stark-y to abandon his duty to the NW. So he is either dead (*sob*) or still on his way North. We heard conveniently from Quorin how a man can survive in the cold. And I know this is possible, I'm from Canada. :P

I like the idea that he's on Skagos, because who doesn't want a Stark reunion, but I'm in the "skeptical" column on that one.

Maybe Bran learns to check in with his family other than just via the Weirnet and we see the Lands of Always Winter that way, while he's creeping Benny-boy.

It is completely within the realm of possibility that he simply was out ranging and died from Others, wildlings, the elements, etc.

I don't feel like GRRM needs to give the reader closure in regards to Benjen. I would be perfectly fine if we never find out what happened to Benjen.

It is completely within the realm of possibility that he simply was out ranging and died from Others, wildlings, the elements, etc.

I don't feel like GRRM needs to give the reader closure in regards to Benjen. I would be perfectly fine if we never find out what happened to Benjen.

We need to find out. Weren't those wights that showed up at the wall of part his ranging group?

How about this

Benjen IS the last hero.

Now he rode North with ?????? 12 men, with a horse and a sword. Now the dog is a problem BUT I rather suspect Benjen is a warg and there is a direwolf out there ready to bond with him - - Perhaps the direwolf is the daddy or uncle of the other 6. So in this case we have him losing four companions still 8 to find.

A theory of mine is that Osha killed him way back in aGoT or at least she knows what happened to him but she ain't telling. When we first meet Osha, she's travelling with a couple of NW deserters, Wallen and Stiv, and I think they were in Benjen's last ranging party, before he disappeared. One of them says something like, "The boy [bran] is a Stark alright. Only a Stark would threaten when other men would beg". That's downright ominous to me. And then later on Osha says that she killed a crow once.

I'm confused by what you mean? Are you saying they were deserters? It's more likely they were all simple wildlings that came upon him.

Even if Benjen is dead {I hope not} he has too big a surname to have his last swansong gone untold. If he is dead, we will know how Benjen "First Ranger" Stark died. If he isn't dead he will come back in story, at a place and time when we won't be expecting him to show up.

He is one of two (or 3, if we count the 3ER) who know of Jon's parentage, so that, if nothing else, provides some sort of plot armour, right?

I'm confused by what you mean? Are you saying they were deserters? It's more likely they were all simple wildlings that came upon him.

No, Osha and I think another woman were wildlings, but Wallen and Stiv were NW deserters. They were travelling together

Archived