Theories on Benjen Stark

Reynestorm

I don't think you necessarily have to have a Direwolf to be a Stark and a warg. Bran can warg into anything and so can Sixskins.

My theory is Benjen was killed but lived on through his warg (be it an owl, wolf, whatever). I think there will definitely be a prologue or epilogue chapter with Benjen.

• 1 month later...

My theory is that he is even dead or GRRM has something extraordinary for him, something we cannot just guess, and we will be surprised by Benjen's fate. I hope the second one is correct.

eazy....best.fucking.avatar.evah

OS does not seem unusual Benjen Bran no question when it reaches the cave? I .what would be logical to ask the Cuervo Three Eyes that seek him with the Arcianet or ask the children if they knew about Martin tema.Creo forget this deliberately because Benjen appear in the next book related to plot beyond the wall and did not want to overtake Martin nada.osea Benjen still lives.

Every single Stark in this book has played a major role in the story....except for Benjen. This leads me to believe that Benjen still has a major role to play. What would the point of creating Benjen, and then having him be the only Stark not to play a pivotable role? Makes no sense to me.

I go back to what GRRM said about Howland Reed. "Sometimes, a character simply knows too much". I think Benjen is in the same boat as Howland Reed. He knows too much about the main plot arcs of the story so GRRM has "written him off" for the time being until it's time to reveal what he knows.

For all we know, he could have escaped via the Tunnels to Greywater Watch, and is waiting for Bran with Howland Reed.

I'm not sure what Benjen knows, or what role he's going to play in the future. But I can almost bet we haven't seen the last of him. He still has a role to play.

Benjen is crucial plot tool to get Jon Snow understand what White Walkers and Stark motto "Winter is coming" are all about.

I believe Benjen is in Lands of Always Winter,and now that Lord Commander Jon is going to be warged into Ghost,it is now time to reveal to Jon R+L=J (via Bran) and Stark connection to White Walkers (via Benjen,I actually think White Walkers needed some time to persuade Benjen because he was the First Ranger of Night's Watch,he considered them natural enemies,but they probably showed or told him something,something that will sway Jon to their side as well I believe).

Benjen is crucial plot tool to get Jon Snow understand what White Walkers and Stark motto "Winter is coming" are all about.

I believe Benjen is in Lands of Always Winter,and now that Lord Commander Jon is going to be warged into Ghost,it is now time to reveal to Jon R+L=J (via Bran) and Stark connection to White Walkers (via Benjen,I actually think White Walkers needed some time to persuade Benjen because he was the First Ranger of Night's Watch,he considered them natural enemies,but they probably showed or told him something,something that will sway Jon to their side as well I believe).

Good Post... I think that you are mostly right!!!

Early in AGOTs, when Jon is on the way to the wall, he is off playing with Tyrion & Benjin comes looking for Jon & says "I thought the Others had gotten you"...

This is foreshadowing 101... The Others got Benjin on his next ranging... & then Jon Promises that He & Ghost will go find him... Quite literally it will be Jon in Ghost...

Ghost/Jon will find Benjin in the Heart of Winter & Jon will learn about the ancient connection between House Stark & the Others... I think that Benjin will either be an Other or he will be well on his way to becoming an Other... The Others are Starks... The whole Craster - Other connection is a HUGE Red Herring, see my signature, below...

"Winter is Coming" & "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" both of these sayings are somehow related to the Others...

Good Post... I think that you are mostly right!!!

Early in AGOTs, when Jon is on the way to the wall, he is off playing with Tyrion & Benjin comes looking for Jon & says "I thought the Others had gotten you"...

This is foreshadowing 101... The Others got Benjin on his next ranging... & then Jon Promises that He & Ghost will go find him... Quite literally it will be Jon in Ghost...

Ghost/Jon will find Benjin in the Heart of Winter & Jon will learn about the ancient connection between House Stark & the Others... I think that Benjin will either be an Other or he will be well on his way to becoming an Other... The Others are Starks... The whole Craster - Other connection is a HUGE Red Herring, see my signature, below...

"Winter is Coming" & "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" both of these sayings are somehow related to the Others...

Didnt Bran the Builder build the Wall with help of the CotF and Giants to prevent the Others from entering Westeros? if the Starks and the Others had a connection somehow why would one of the oldest known Starks block them out. doesnt make sense imo

Didnt Bran the Builder build the Wall with help of the CotF and Giants to prevent the Others from entering Westeros? if the Starks and the Others had a connection somehow why would one of the oldest known Starks block them out. doesnt make sense imo

Because that's what we presume from the history which was not even recorded properly until Andals invaded Westeros. How come the Wall,a magical structure made of ice,can stop creatures of winter? Wouldn't it be a little more logical that White Walkers HELPED Bran the Builder and the giants to build it?

That's why I believe Benjen will play a crucial part in answering these questions.

Because that's what we presume from the history which was not even recorded properly until Andals invaded Westeros. How come the Wall,a magical structure made of ice,can stop creatures of winter? Wouldn't it be a little more logical that White Walkers HELPED Bran the Builder and the giants to build it?

That's why I believe Benjen will play a crucial part in answering these questions.

This is my mindset as well.

There is very little history recorded, and the history that *is* recorded is said to be locked up in the Citadel. (Hence why Sam is there, to find this out).

There is a major twist about that wall....and I'm of the mindset also that it was actually built BY the Others to keep MEN out of the North, and not the other way around.

This is my mindset as well.

There is very little history recorded, and the history that *is* recorded is said to be locked up in the Citadel. (Hence why Sam is there, to find this out).

There is a major twist about that wall....and I'm of the mindset also that it was actually built BY the Others to keep MEN out of the North, and not the other way around.

I agree... I have this theory that Last Hero who sought out Children of the Forest to end the Long Night was Bran the Builder himself. He made a pact with Children and Old Gods that men stop burning weirwoods and endanger the nature and start worshiping Old Gods in return for withdrawing White Walkers from Westeros,who are nature's weapon.

They gave Bran and his descendants some magical abilities of skinchanging and possibly greenseeing. One of the conditions of the pact which was signed in God's Eye by Harrenhal is that as long as there is Stark (descendant of Bran) in Winterfell and possibly at the Wall,Children of the Forest will stay clear of the realms of men and keep White Walkers away.

Another condition were the Wall and Night's Watch. Bran built the Wall presumably with the help of giants and White Walkers,while Children of the Forest put magical spell on it. Night's Watch was the order initially sworn to protect the realms of men and keep everyone SOUTH of the Wall. Letting men pass north of the Wall (wildlings) is violating the agreement and the reason why White Walkers are hunting down men even though they worship Old Gods. Old Gods do not want men to wander north of the Wall.

With time Night's Watch forgot its true purpose and now crows think that their main duty is to keep everyone NORTH of the Wall away from SOUTH, and not the other way around. That's HUGE difference and the reason White Walkers are coming with vengeance.

interesting theory of the others helping build the wall. and i could see it if to separate man them and man into their own lands...but i still dont get why they would team up and/or have a connection with the creatures that brought the long night and was killing every man in Westeros.

are you saying like the Others were killing everyone and the white walkers, CotF, and Bran the builder all met at the God's Eye and made a pact and now the pact is broken and they're buggin out now?

i mean could be just seems a bit far fetched to me. i wouldnt really like the story if for 5 books they warn about the White Walkers coming and the huge battle for humanity that will ensue, only to then turn out the protagonists the whole time are actually on a team with them. the entire story has basically set up how the Starks are going to be a major part in the fight against the Others. i think it would ruin the story for them to then be all buddy buddy

interesting theory of the others helping build the wall. and i could see it if to separate man them and man into their own lands...but i still dont get why they would team up and/or have a connection with the creatures that brought the long night and was killing every man in Westeros.

are you saying like the Others were killing everyone and the white walkers, CotF, and Bran the builder all met at the God's Eye and made a pact and now the pact is broken and they're buggin out now?

i mean could be just seems a bit far fetched to me. i wouldnt really like the story if for 5 books they warn about the White Walkers coming and the huge battle for humanity that will ensue, only to then turn out the protagonists the whole time are actually on a team with them. the entire story has basically set up how the Starks are going to be a major part in the fight against the Others. i think it would ruin the story for them to then be all buddy buddy

I am saying that White Walkers invaded Westeros during Long Night because Children of the Forest had a hand in it. When First Men migrated to Westeros from Essos they had a big war with Children,burning and cutting weirwoods which were sacred for them. In return,Children unleashed winter on men,killing thousands all over Westeros. To stop this slaughter,a band of 13 men went to meet with Children,but only Last Hero survived,which,again,I presume was Bran the Builder,the first Stark.

What happened after he met Children and how exactly White Walkers retreated nobody knows for sure,but if we assume that Starks and White Walkers have some kind of connection,then "Winter is coming" starts to have a whole new meaning.

And besides,your point about how Starks are believed to be protagonists and destined to defeat White Walkers... Well,I don't see it. All I have seen so far in this story is how Starks are fucked figuratively and due to some serious vengeance on all Westeros. They were Kings of Winter for a reason,but Westeros forgot about that. Time to remind them.

Why exactly Starks should defend the Seven Kingdoms from White Walkers,when the royal Targaryen family first butchered Brandon and Rickard Stark,had a hand in Lyanna Stark's demise,then the new royal family butchered Ned Stark,his wife and son and put the most treacherous family of the North in their seat of Winterfell? (I can add Greyjoys to this list,but I consider Theon a Stark by nature,he will come around and redeem himself)

When you look at it from this angle,White Walkers might be the main weapon Starks will use to exact vengeance on the realm and establish new royal dynasty through Jon. Bran,Sansa,Arya and even Rickon going through their storyline and each learning these new skills just support my idea that they are going to be backbone for Jon's march on South.

Archived