Is Daario Naharis, and Dany's creepy attraction to him, ridiculous on purpose?

NorthGirl

I can not deal with even the name Daario being written anymore. I would rather fling myself out the window than read anymore description of how she wants to kiss him. The only draw that I get is that his ruthlessness reminds her of Drogo. I want to believe that in order to delay Daenerys from getting to Westeros, he is making her really misguided and going through some kind of emotional/personal regression. Outside of her thoughts he is described as so absurd and unattractive that it must be signalling to the reader that there is something wrong with his appeal to her. Right? RIGHT!?

But she has to make herself ignore his violent nature, just like she decided to ignore how her passivity makes more victims among her "children". She talks about her wedding like it's about a love match and can't think rationally for two seconds to realise how nonsensical her whole issue is. She is talking about trees growing, when her whole deal is about returning to Westeros. She even knows her only appeal to Daario is the queen, not the girl and yet all she thinks about is being the girl with him. Everything about her self indulgences are her being childish. To me their whole relationship is her not growing up. She is escaping, not dealing.

I'm torn about Dany. At first,i wanted her to do good and be good and well and i genuinely cared for her,till she got to Meereen. Now,i just want her to do something big or die. I don't care which at this point. I would really be ok if Khal Jhaqo and his khalasar just killed her. If she survived however and went to Westeros with her dragons,unsulied,slave army,Tyrion,Victarion,ser Barristan and Jorrah,i would change my tune.

Am I the only one who doesn't really hate Daario with a passion?

I mean, I don't like the guy very much, but he doesn't really bother me. Nor does it bother me that Dany's all in a lather for him.

On Daario, it is important to remember that Dany is 15. Like Robb (who she has several unsung story parallels with) she is dealing raging hormones, and a guy who has that much self-confidence will logically get such a girl's intentions. I think Martin's point with the character is to show that Dany is still a normal human being, and that saying you have to become a perfect messiah-figure and all that it entails does not automatically qualify you as such. She needs to do dumb teenager stuff, because she is a dumb teenager.

Remember, besides having no lessons in statecraft to prepare her for her reign as Queen, Dany has not had a mother-figure to explain men to her. Is it really that surprising, when she has literally just discovered how awesome sex is, that she would want to have more of it, especially with a guy who by her own accounts makes her laugh, says pretty things to her, and seems to be pretty good at manly activities? She's not brainwashed, just a won over a bit easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the Dany-Daario arc it's kinda childish on purpose to remind us that she's not that awesome conqueror everyone's expecting her to be (yet, i hope).

She's not even an adult and she hadn't had the chance to be a child either.

britney spears' "i'm not a girl, not yet a woman" started playing in my head.

i'm still in the beginning 25% of the book, but so far i've read a couple passages where she gets pretty mentally excited about him and i just can't help but feel leary about it.

She falls for Dario at the same time that she starts compromising her ideals for the sake of peace and protecting the innocent.

She is part dragon, part mother. Her mother side is the side that is compromising in Meereen. But her dragon side wants to unleash her dragons, and burn the opposition to a crisp to bend them to her will, no matter what the cost.

Dario represents this side of her, the side that's she's neglecting. She's attracted to him because she has a buried desire to smash the peace and be more dragon, so to speak.

She falls for Dario at the same time that she starts compromising her ideals for the sake of peace and protecting the innocent.

She is part dragon, part mother. Her mother side is the side that is compromising in Meereen. But her dragon side wants to unleash her dragons, and burn the opposition to a crisp to bend them to her will, no matter what the cost.

Dario represents this side of her, the side that's she's neglecting. She's attracted to him because she has a buried desire to smash the peace and be more dragon, so to speak.

Bingo, Martin is using her primal illogical attraction to Daario and mature reserved indifference to Hizdahr to represent her internal struggle. The obvious solution would be to keep true to her primal self while making more logical solutions, but what's a story arc without the journey???

It is totally possible for someone to be attracted to something seen as absurd and disgusting for certain reasons I believe that is the case with Daario I do not believe it will last. Another contributing reason why because she may have been eager to defy her almost forced marriage to Hizdahr by doing so.

Archived