Renly Gay?

iron throne speaks

It's only hinted at. When I first read ACoK and Renly asked Loras to stay with him and pray, I knew that Renly didn't mean to actually pray with Loras - it was obvious to me that the two of them were lovers. Also, take the Rainbow Guard. The rainbow is a symbol of homosexuality. If you come upon a bar that has a rainbow flag outside or in one of its windows, you can be sure that it's a gay/lesbian bar. So if Renly establishes a Rainbow Guard with colorful cloaks, that's pretty obvious.

So it's 2015 (10! years after GRRM said Renly is gay) and this question still is asked by people who have supposedly access to the internet? Word of God/Gay (yeah, it's kind of sucky this was neccessary) or not, but I'm sorry I don't get that.

ETA: GRRM is still also swearing up and down that the Rainbow Guard was an accident, Jehane. I might even believe the ignorant straight old males excuse he gives there.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's 2015 (10! years after GRRM said Renly is gay) and this question still is asked by people who have supposedly access to the internet? Word of God/Gay (yeah, it's kind of sucky this was neccessary) or not, but I'm sorry I don't get that.

ETA: GRRM is still also swearing up and down that the Rainbow Guard was an accident, Jehane. I might even believe the ignorant straight old males excuse he gives there.

The Rainbow Guard is called that way because rainbow is a symbol of the Faith of the Seven. That's also why the High Septon's crown has 7 crystals of different colors shooting rainbow light. So, if the Rainbow Guard is a symbol of gayness, then the Faith is also all about gayness. Eh, obviously not.

I believe GRRM that it was a coincidence, and I'm really relieved because of it - because using something that's specifically a 21st century cultural thing to show that a character in a quasi-medieval universe is homosexual, would be really, really stupid and cheesy. What's next, only gays like musicals... eh, mummer's shows?

It's possible to figure out based on the books that Renly is homosexual because of clues that he and Loras were lovers, and that he was not sexually interested in women - rather than what colors his Kinsguard wore.

someone mention joncon being easier to spot as being gay. I don't agree I didn't figure out joncon was gay till I read it on here, years later.

JonCon is not easier to spot as being gay. I definitely didn't at first and it got to be mentioned to me. Funny enough, what convinced me in a reread wasn't the way he spoke about Rhaegar (gosh, everybody in Westeros is a bit gay for Rhaegar...) but how he remembered Myles Toyne...

• 3 weeks later...

I thought everyone knew he was gay simply because Margaery is always said to be a virgin. They were married a long time and he never closed?

More importantly, Catelyn says during her observation that Renly is more concerned with Loras despite the fact that he pretends socially to care about Margaery (feeding her and such). But I may be misremembering, I haven't read CoK since July.

But I always thought they were the best couple in all of Westeros. They are basically the only true equal couple in the world and it was very sweet how heartbroken Loras is.

okay so how does everyone assume Renly is gay. I mean there is no legit mention in the book about him being gay. He just has a liking for colourful things. or have i missed out on something?

If you have read all the books, I am just going to direct you to the FAQ article from the Tower of the Hand site:

Edit: posting the whole thing was a bit obnoxious - I am just going to leave the FAQ pointer - NOTE the filter was set for all books read.

But I always thought they were the best couple in all of Westeros. They are basically the only true equal couple in the world and it was very sweet how heartbroken Loras is.

As a big Loras/Renly shipper I also like how sweet their relationship seems. :love:

But sometimes my mean side thinks if GRRM really wanted to troll us he would make it turn out that Renly was talking trash about Loras behind his back just as he did with Brienne. "My, my, that Tyrell boy they sent me is a total idiot, but he sucks a mean cock, so I'm going to keep him." :devil:

EDIT: WHAT? Is JonCon gay? New information...

In life, Ser Myles Toyne had been ugly as sin. His famous forebear, the dark and dashing Terrence Toyne of whom the singers sang, had been so fair of face that even the king's mistress could not resist him; but Myles had been possessed of jug ears, a crooked jaw, and the biggest nose that Jon Connington had ever seen. When he smiled at you, though, none of that mattered. Blackheart, his men had named him, for the sigil on his shield. Myles had loved the name and all it hinted at. "A captain-general should be feared, by friend and foe alike," he had once confessed. "If men think me cruel, so much the better." The truth was otherwise. Soldier to the bone, Toyne was fierce but always fair, a father to his men and always generous to the exile lord Jon Connington. Death had robbed him of his ears, his nose, and all his warmth. The smile remained, transformed into a glittering golden grin.

Archived