Would Rhaenyra's Velaryon children started a new royal dynasty?

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not Rhaenrya's sons on ascension to the Throne would assume the name Targaryen (it would be politically smart to do so considering the situation) we have one example of her son's regarding themselves as Targaryens, albeit in relation to dragon blood

“Our uncle calls us Strongs, and claims that we are bastards, but when the lords see us on dragonback they will know that for a lie. Only Targaryens ride dragons.”

Changing his name to Targaryen is an option and would depend on the political situation at the time and as has been debated many a time before it seems to be a common practice as it explains the milenia of unbroken Family Names.

Thing is, Viserys and Rhaenyra could have decreed to name Rhaenyra's sons 'Targaryen' at their birth. Rhaenyra was Viserys' chosen heir, and Jace was second in line to the Iron Throne - Viserys himself made this apparently clear when he took Jace with him up to the Iron Throne.

Sure, Rhaenyra could have changed Jace's name upon her ascension, or Jace could have done so upon his, but that would be a late correction, whereas a decree in the childhood of the boy(s) would have hammered home the fact.

And by that the time Targaryen dynasty was not yet all that old, and the Velaryons were clearly as famous and as prestigious as the Targaryens themselves, which may have made such a change unnecessary. Corlys Velaryon clearly was the greatest man of his day and age, Targaryens included.

But there was no need to change the names of all the children - only Jace upon his ascension. If Luke were to inherit Dtiftmark as Rhaenyra wished then bring of House Velaryon would be better than taking the Targaryen name.

The Targaryen dynasty was still young, but their name was prestigious still. They were the last of the dragonlords and the Velaryons were their vassals. I don't really see their names being on equal footing in terms of prestige, though Corlys' fame and reknown were perhaps unrivalled at one point.

Agreed, since their claim comes from their mother's Targaryen lineage.

I do think a Dance would've been inevitable. Even if Aegon II decided to ignore his grandfather and mother's desire for him to reign, there's no guarantee that his siblings and children would have agreed to it...

If he had allowed Rhaenyra to become queen, Daemon Targaryen would make sure all possible rivals die (meaning all Alicient's children and grandchildren).

But whether Jace would use the Vealryon or Targaryen name. Who knows. Maybe he'd go with Velaryon just to make a point that he is Laenor Velaryon's son (which he of course isn't, but that's again neither here nor there).

Rhaenyra and Daemon would not have to kill Alicent's descendants. They could have sent the grown-up men to the Wall, and could have given the younger children to the Citadel or the Faith. Not everything has to end in murder and mayhem...

Of course I agree with the general sentiment that ot everything has to nnd in murder and mayhem, but... Robb Stark once thought that the vows of the Night's Watch could be overturned by sending a couple of thousands of soldiers to the Wall. We know that there have been kings at the Wall before, but perhaps not kings that were able to summon half of the realm to fight for them in a civil war. I'm not sure if a king could really feel secure in the Iron Throne if he has a strong rival at the Watch.

Rhaenyra and Daemon would not have to kill Alicent's descendants. They could have sent the grown-up men to the Wall, and could have given the younger children to the Citadel or the Faith. Not everything has to end in murder and mayhem...

Jaehaera could, in theory, have been married to one of Rhaenyra's sons. Obviously even that could eventually cause problems though.

THB,

in any scenario in which Rhaenyra ascended to the Iron Throne the Greens would necessarily have been to weak/cowardly to try to stage a coup. Considering that Rhaenyra was apparently not keep to execute her half-siblings or their children - Daemon was right there when Rhaenyra took the city, and yet Rhaenyra did not execute Alicent or Helaena - I really can see her trying to prevent bloodshed. Aegon would have to go to the Wall, and I imagine Aemond, too, but I could see her making Daeron a Kingsguard knight, and marry Helaena to Jace (perhaps these two even liked each other, as Aegon apparently grew pretty tense when Jace asked her to dance with him on that ball).

Jaehaerys and Maelor could go to the Citadel and the Faith, while Jaehaera may be married to Viserys rather than Aegon the Younger - more likely would be to let her out her live as a simpleton/autistic girl as I don't think anyone really wanted her to produce similar offspring.

Could also be possible. I just tossed around that possible if Rhaenyra was in the mood or if it was necessary to make some concessions to the Green side. Luke and Joff could then marry Daemon's daughters, and with Luke-Rhaena Driftmark would eventually go to Corlys' bloodline.

Archived