Corsair kings

Maester Mando

I already posted this in the twoiaf sub forum but i guess it didnt catch enough attention, so im posting it here.

I reread the ten thousand ships chapter from twoiaf and was wondering that in the basilisk isles nymeria ajd the rhoynar were attacked by the corsair kings of ax isle, talon and the howling mountain.

I was wondering because the section on the isles says that the pirates came after the century of blood and that gogossos was a valyrian penal colony.

How can that be?

Is it an inconsistency or is it that corsairs already lived there and that only gogossos was valyrian?

The Valyrian Freehold's navy likely kept the waters safe, and the Valyrians likely had some naval ships in Gogossos. Gogossos was a power unto itself after the Doom.

But he's saying that it makes no sense since it was during the time of Gorgossos that Nymeria's fleet entered the Basilisk Isles and was attacked by Corsair Kings.

But he's saying that it makes no sense since it was during the time of Gorgossos that Nymeria's fleet entered the Basilisk Isles and was attacked by Corsair Kings.

Corsairs are slave raiders as well as pirates, and likely supplied Gogossos with slaves.

Corsairs are slave raiders as well as pirates, and likely supplied Gogossos with slaves.

But the way it's worded makes it seem like Corsairs proper didn't arrive until after Gogossos was destroyed. It says that after the Red Death "it was not until the coming of the corsairs that men returned to the isles once again". Coming, not return.

I'm inclined to believe that Yandel just used the term 'corsair' because it's what raiders and pirates from the Basilisk Isles are known as today, so to make it simple he referred to these petty raider 'kings' as corsairs.

Archived