Small Questions v.10095

Jon Weirgaryen

The soldier Yoren and his recruits discover dead in Arya IV of Clash, are there any theories on who he is or the significance of the fish eating his face?

You could take that as foreshadowing the Frey style of burial for many Northern soldiers after the Red Wedding.

When the door had closed behind him, Ned turned back to his wife. "Once you are home, send word to Helman Tallhart and Galbart Glover under my seal. They are to raise a hundred bowmen each and fortify Moat Cailin. Two hundred determined archers can hold the Neck against an army. Instruct Lord Manderly that he is to strengthen and repair all his defenses at White Harbor, and see that they are well manned. And from this day on, I want a careful watch kept over Theon Greyjoy. If there is war, we shall have sore need of his father's fleet."

What do you think Ned means here ? To send Theon to ask his father for his fleet, as Robb will do ? Or to threaten to kill Theon if Balon doesn't give his fleet ? To mee it seems it's the latter, but isn't it a corruption of the concept to keep Theon as ward to prevent his father to revolt ?

What do you think Ned means here ? To send Theon to ask his father for his fleet, as Robb will do ? Or to threaten to kill Theon if Balon doesn't give his fleet ? To mee it seems it's the latter, but isn't it a corruption of the concept to keep Theon as ward to prevent his father to revolt ?

I understand: have Theon watched and guarded.

He must live a hostage, not be sent to his father, not be allowed to plot escape.

He must live a hostage, not be sent to his father, not be allowed to plot escape.

Agreed. Someone is more likely to listen to you when you have your hostage nearby, than when you've send your hostage far away. When the hostage is away, there are all these people in between who need to give and follow orders, should the Lord decide to kill the hostage, and the more people you got inbetween, the more likely it becomes that the Lords commands aren't executed exactly as he wanted to..

I think it's pretty clear the Ned intended to blackmail Balon into supporting him if necessary. F course, if Balon had refused, the Ned would have had to make some nasty decisions...

Sleep did not come easily that night. Tangled in her blankets, she twisted this way and that in the cold dark room, but whichever way she turned, she saw the faces. They have no eyes, but they can see me. She saw her father's face upon the wall. Beside him hung her lady mother, and below them her three brothers all in a row. No. That was some other girl. I am no one, and my only brothers wear robes of black and white. Yet there was the black singer, there the stableboy she'd killed with Needle, there the pimply squire from the crossroads inn, and over there the guard whose throat she'd slashed to get them out of Harrenhal. The Tickler hung on the wall as well, the black holes that were his eyes swimming with malice. The sight of him brought back the feel of the dagger in her hand as she had plunged it into his back, again and again and again.

The Ugly Little Girl

Who was the black singer?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but we haven't seen that. When she reaches the Eyrie, Catelyn thinks she'll have to get to Maester Colemon to send ravens with Ned's commands, so she must have sent a raven to Winterfell concerning Theon. But I don't remember any mention of a particular treatment for Theon in Winterfell afterwards, so if there was a "careful watch", it must have been discreet, and without guards.

I think it's pretty clear the Ned intended to blackmail Balon into supporting him if necessary. F course, if Balon had refused, the Ned would have had to make some nasty decisions...

I think so too, but that doesn't seem very honorable for Ned, that's why I have doubts.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but we haven't seen that. When she reaches the Eyrie, Catelyn thinks she'll have to get to Maester Colemon to send ravens with Ned's commands, so she must have sent a raven to Winterfell concerning Theon. But I don't remember any mention of a particular treatment for Theon in Winterfell afterwards, so if there was a "careful watch", it must have been discreet, and without guards.

Can't correct you as, you're being correct. In the very recent Radio Westeros episode 10, Yolkboy and Lady Gwynhyfvar argue that she must have forgotten that part of Ned's message and when the moment arrives, where Robb is sending Theon to Pyke, Catelyn argues with her own understanding using her reasoning instead of mentioning it as Ned's will.

I think so too, but that doesn't seem very honorable for Ned, that's why I have doubts.

Well, she woulda relayed the order to whom? Luwin and Rodrick, right? They were the ones, along with Catelyn, whom the Ned left to run the show, no? Rodrick was with her at the time, but soon to be returning. And Theon joined Robb in the field. By then Robb was running the show, no?

Oh, and as for honor, I would think a Northman would know what he had to do. It's all hypothetical and moot but I would have expected the Ned, who was still Hand at that point, to have ordered Balon to join the defense of the realm against House Lannister's treason.

Well, she woulda relayed the order to whom? Luwin and Rodrick, right? They were the ones, along with Catelyn, whom the Ned left to run the show, no? Rodrick was with her at the time, but soon to be returning. And Theon joined Robb in the field. By then Robb was running the show, no?

Catelyn and Rodrik parted at White Harbor, so it was too late for him. But if she has sent a raven to Luwin, then we could have seen its effects in Bran V or Bran VI.

Hi! Had an account on here for a while but this is my first post.

Im sure this has been answered a million times- but does anyone know whose sword is on the cover of ADWD part 2 uk edition???

Thanks in Advance

There are two covers.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/iceandfire/images/9/93/ADWDUK.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090615014055

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Vj4NEFbML.jpg

I think, both are by Larry Rostant. You could ask him via his twitter account: @LarryRostant

If Aegon is a Blackfyre, why would he fly Targaryen banners? Why would a Blackfyre host campaigning in Westeros be any less appealing to the realm than a Targaryen host? Is the most important thing that he is presented as Rhaegar Targaryen's son? If so, why?

Because people of Westeros will much sooner flock under banner of House who ruled over them for three centuries, than under one who is best known for its five failed rebellions. Targaryens have established themselves as rulers, while Blackfyres have established themselves as losers; and between the two, which one sounds more appealing? In case Aegon is a Blackfyre, I think Varys and Illyirio are doing a smart thing by masquerading him as Targaryen.

Archived