R+L=J v. 129

Kat

Ten days for all of the tourney, five days of joustng.

Challenging several champions and winning meant reducing the number of champions, and I wonder why I am so certain to be remembering that. It may be in an SSM or interview. Will check and update here...

update: I have to admit I could not find something that would back up the reducing the number of champions idea. The Tourney Rules SSM compares first the D&E Ashford tourney and then the Grand Tourney at Harrenhal with the iconic one in Ivanhoe. Still the question is not answered there.

You are correct. Mark hasn't bothered to read the rules for the joust, as usual. In the beginning the four Whent brothers and an uncle were the initial champions. They could be challenged individually by any newcomers. We know that at some point during the jousts (lasting ten days, as I recall, though someone had found an indication it may have lasted longer) the Knight of the Laughing Tree challenged a pitchfork knight (House Haigh), a porcupine knight (House Blount), and the last a knight of two towers (House Frey). There were two more champions which were not challenged. Rightfully the Knight of the Laughing Tree had taken the position of three champions, which would make the total champions number three at that point, unless GRRM has other rules in mind.

I wasn't entirely sure, but that is what I thought.

I think there were different types of competition. Robert didn't compete in the same circles as Rhaegar because the melee was more his thing. Rhaegar probably didn't do melee's, so I think it might be what they chose to participate in, and how far they got.

I don't think its like the playoffs. :dunno:

That's because Rhaegar was one part cowardly and two parts delusional. He's an evil character

Edit- evil based on the outcome his actions caused

That's because Rhaegar was one part cowardly and two parts delusional. He's an evil character.

Surely you have enough to do in your "Janos Slynt was a victim of Evil Jon Snow" thread.

I think there were different types of competition. Robert didn't compete in the same circles as Rhaegar because the melee was more his thing. Rhaegar probably didn't do melee's, so I think it might be what they chose to participate in, and how far they got.

I don't think its like the playoffs. :dunno:

It'd be more difficult to rig a melee. Without being too obvious about it, I mean. Besides the fact that it's just riskier and less controlled to begin with.

Archived