Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 8 [show spoilers, book spoilers past OP]

Seneti

I'd rather read about it in the books, but I'm honestly not too disappointed if the shows does happen to finish first. Better that than hearing about it while surfing the web if you ask me. (Because trust me, if you try to avoid the show and wait for the books, you're just going to end up getting spoiled while online. It's inevitable.)

Exactly

Anyone know if it's usual to cast for future seasons while the current season is still airing? Keisha was cast during Mountain vs The Viper, so just wondering.

It's not that common, but sometimes, when they have a character already cast in their minds, they approach them as soon as possible to seal the deal. For example, D&D have said multiple times that they always imagined Dinklage as Tyrion and could never picture anybody else in that role.

Hasn't the first trailer been confirmed to premier on January 30, or is that just a rumor?

It's sort of confirmed. I like to leave the dates unfilled until the trailer actually airs, because you never know what might happen in those two weeks.

501 If the info on Octavia Alexandru is true is it an too much of an extrapolation that Bran , Hodor and Meera might be in a scene left over from season 4?

So we had confirmation from Benioff ,Isaac Hempstead Wright and Kristian Nairn tho never saw any thing from Ellie Kendrick.

However Benioff did not rule out something short form season 4.

Don't know how they list the directors tho?

I do think that we will get a leftover scene from season 4 in season 5. It's the only logical conclusion from the info we have so far.

What do you mean "how they list the directors"?

http://www.jbgnews.com/2015/01/the-winds-of-winter-unlikely-to-release-in-2015/322504.html

Someone posted this in the other thread and I'm now sick to my stomach.

Oh, for the love of-

Jack, don't believe everything you read online. We've been through this a million times before now, haven't we?

Wasnt Stephen Dillane, Liam Cunningham and Carice van Houten all cast by the end of s1, or at most a month later? It does seem for certain roles they try to lock down an actor for a role as soon as possible, wouldnt be surprised if Alexander Siddig already was asked for the to play Doran during s4

I do think that we will get a leftover scene from season 4 in season 5. It's the only logical conclusion from the info we have so far.

What do you mean "how they list the directors"?

It's only a detail I would care about.

Well... Alex Graves would have directed that scene, but Michael Slovis name will be on episode's 1 and 2 , where I expect that to be.

There are probably rules on how Alex Graves is listed , probably in the closing credits.

Now that we have reached version 8 a little observation that nudges at me.

Seasons 3 and 4 David Benioff and D. B. Weiss directed one episode (tho only one director is listed, by the rules).

I got the impression this is a process they want to break into.

I thought episode 1 of season 4 was one of the best of the season.

Yet , seems, early on D&D opted out for writing and producing.

Makes me think season 5 was quite a chore, adapting 2 novels (and maybe more) and production seems to have been bigger this year than ever before.

That may have something to do with thinness of the previews so far and double work of the IMAX deal.

This is getting interesting.

I do think we will get a shot of dany looking outside from the pyramid in the middle of the night maybe looking out for a house with red door

it was in the vfx reel but not added last season which is understandable bcoz the scene happens after jorah banishment and harpy killings...so they may include it in the opening episode

It also says it's an Emmy-nominated actor though, so either Dinklage or Lena. (Dinklage is a winner not a nominee, but it could be a typo because drunkenness + ships means he's more likely to do the barfing than Cersei).

Emilia was also nominated back in 2013.

But yeah, Tyrion is the likely suspect here.

Seasons 3 and 4 David Benioff and D. B. Weiss directed one episode (tho only one director is listed, by the rules).

Makes me think season 5 was quite a chore, adapting 2 novels (and maybe more) and production seems to have been bigger this year than ever before.

That may have something to do with thinness of the previews so far and double work of the IMAX deal.

Well, given that it did film into December, and that we know Kit Harington said that money wasn't a factor this season, I'd imagine that they have a whole lot more to work with...and subsequently, a lot more work to do.

Now that we have reached version 8 a little observation that nudges at me.Seasons 3 and 4 David Benioff and D. B. Weiss directed one episode (tho only one director is listed, by the rules).I got the impression this is a process they want to break into.I thought episode 1 of season 4 was one of the best of the season.Yet , seems, early on D&D opted out for writing and producing.Makes me think season 5 was quite a chore, adapting 2 novels (and maybe more) and production seems to have been bigger this year than ever before.That may have something to do with thinness of the previews so far and double work of the IMAX deal.This is getting interesting.

I agree, and there are even interview comments of theirs to back it up. They basically said (somewhere) they were terrified of season 5... ie. because it was going to be very hard to adapt to screen. Then they said they started to feel better once they had done some work on it and realized it ws going to be great. I am paraphrasing of course.

I think this season has tons of potential to be really exceptionally good. First of all, it is the fifth season and has only been growing in buzz and popularity, which matters for budget and general quality of the people they hire even for fairly small roles.

Then there is the fact that they have two books worth of material to pick and choose from. That is what makes it hard of course, but it also means they can really shape a great season from a very large sampling of text. We should all face up to the fact that the books the season will be based on were not the best of the series, but that is not because they story has no content, but simply because these books were less tightly constructed. They could do with the streamlining process that the show will provide.

Then there is the fact that they are a different medium from POV based books and can show things their own way - such as whatever is actually happening beyond the Wall, possibly with Hardhome. They actually already started getting slightly spoilery in season 4 with the Night's King thing. It is one part of these fictional worlds where I genuinely look forward to more spoilers.

I agree, and there are even interview comments of theirs to back it up. They basically said (somewhere) they were terrified of season 5... ie. because it was going to be very hard to adapt to screen. Then they said they started to feel better once they had done some work on it and realized it ws going to be great. I am paraphrasing of course.

I think this season has tons of potential to be really exceptionally good. First of all, it is the fifth season and has only been growing in buzz and popularity, which matters for budget and general quality of the people they hire even for fairly small roles.

Then there is the fact that they have two books worth of material to pick and choose from. That is what makes it hard of course, but it also means they can really shape a great season from a very large sampling of text. We should all face up to the fact that the books the season will be based on were not the best of the series, but that is not because they story has no content, but simply because these books were less tightly constructed. They could do with the streamlining process that the show will provide.

Then there is the fact that they are a different medium from POV based books and can show things their own way - such as whatever is actually happening beyond the Wall, possibly with Hardhome. They actually already started getting slightly spoilery in season 4 with the Night's King thing. It is one part of these fictional worlds where I genuinely look forward to more spoilers.

I think their biggest fear was the lack of action beats in AFFC/ADWD to work off from immediately following season 4 (which is full of them). But like you said, their fears eased when they started into scripting the episodes and found that they did have them.

I do wonder how many will be from the books and how many will be original.

I've always thought season 5 could be the best. It only takes a quick outline to realize we'll get a lot of amazing material :

- Tywin's funeral.

- Arrival at HoBaW.

- LC election.

- Tyrion will go to Dany (meets Jorah).

- Theon's confession at the heart tree.

- Arya changes faces.

- Alliances at the Wall.

- Tensions rising to bloodshed in WF.

- Cersei arrested.

- Walk of Shame.

- Daznak Pit.

- Battle of Ice.

- HardHome.

- Tyrion and Jorah captured and sold.

- Jon / Mel.

And all possible spoilers from TWOW...

Yeah, it can be an amazing season.

I've always thought season 5 could be the best. It only takes a quick outline to realize we'll get a lot of amazing material :

- Tywin's funeral.

- Arrival at HoBaW.

- LC election.

- Tyrion will go to Dany (meets Jorah).

- Theon's confession at the heart tree.

- Arya changes faces.

- Alliances at the Wall.

- Tensions rising to bloodshed in WF.

- Cersei arrested.

- Walk of Shame.

- Daznak Pit.

- Battle of Ice.

- HardHome.

- Tyrion and Jorah captured and sold.

- Jon / Mel.

And all possible spoilers from TWOW...

Yeah, it can be an amazing season.

Ya I Agree, s5 has definitely got the potential to be the best season, especially the last few episodes of s5 can be without doubt the strongest end to a season we have had, just hope D&D pull through. I'm excited about s5, along with a lot of other people hear

Well stated.

I'm actually excited to see how everything comes together when the showrunners have more creative freedom. It's actually a lot harder to have to stay true to something than it is to simply have free reign. This will undoubtedly be the start of it, but I think the next two seasons will really show us.

Is this the latest they've gone without a trailer?

:agree:

I think it will also help that, in contrast to its corresponding source material, Season 5 has the potential to be the most geographically and narratively focused season that the show has done in a while - possibly since Season 1. We essentially have eight major storylines this year, which is the fewest that we've had in years (and should allow for more relative screentime to be spent on each one). Furthermore, each storyline will be more or less centered around a specific protagonist:

1. King's Landing (Cersei, supported by Margaery, Tommen, and the High Sparrow)

2. Dorne (Jaime, supported by Bronn, Doran, and the Sand Snakes)

3. The Wall (Jon, supported by Stannis, Melisandre, Davos, Sam, Tormund, Gilly, Mance, Alliser, etc.)

4. Winterfell (Theon/Reek, supported by Ramsay and Roose Bolton)

5. The Vale (Sansa, supported by Baelish and possibly Brienne)

6. Braavos (Arya, supported by Jaqen/The Kindly Man)

7. The Free Cities (Tyrion, supported by Varys and Jorah)

8. Meereen (Daenerys, supported by Daario, Barristan, Missandei, Grey Worm, and Hizdahr)

[9]. The Vale and the Riverlands (Brienne, if you think that she and Podrick will be on their own for most of the season)

While abundant concern has been expressed about the characters who most likely won't be appearing, many established characters who have long been off on their own interesting but relatively isolated narrative islands have started to come together. In doing so, they should provide a fresh jolt of energy not only to one another but also to the larger story.

The Night's Watch, Stannis, and Theon/Reek have all received criticism in the past few seasons for being too separate from the "main plot", and the latter two have had consistent issues with screentime (either too much of it or too little, depending on who you ask). This season, all of those characters will be part of one larger interweaving plot that should receive a lot of attention. Daenerys is another character who has been almost completely isolated for several seasons. By the end of Season 5, her storyline and Tyrion's will have more or less merged, which should be an exciting development for everyone watching. Jaime and Arya are popular characters who will be introducing us to new locations that people are eager to learn more about. Sansa has reached a new stage in her character's journey, and will be entering more or less uncharted waters, which should be interesting (if frightening for some). And while King's Landing is certainly diminished from previous seasons in terms of the sheer density of interesting characters, the power struggle between the Lannisters, the Tyrells, and the Faith is generally considered to be one of the stronger plot threads from AFFC/ADWD, and should provide plenty of intrigue to sustain those characters and that corner of the story.

One of the areas in which I think Game of Thrones took a significant step forward during Season 3 and especially Season 4 was in tying the numerous geographically disparate storylines together - either thematically or by having characters in one location talk openly about characters in another (e.g. Tywin's numerous references to Daenerys last season). That should continue this season, but it won't be quite as necessary (or feel quite as perfunctory) because so many major established characters who were previously stranded on an isolated corner of the map with the same few sparring partners will actually be meeting, talking with, and directly influencing one another for the first time. It should be a pleasure to watch - much as it was on the page.

What the fuck was that bullshit article Jack posted? I swear I've read it before, and not just once. First time I read this it was propably August. The contest is all the same, only thing that is new is the Season 5 thing.

BTW, who nutjack posted that? They should get their facts straigth before releasing an article. Show's not gonna stop for GRRM. WTF.

Archived