House of Sorrow: the Darrys

Adelin

There is a house that has experienced every conceivable tragedy. They are the blood of the First Men, with an ancient and noble history. A recent rebellion caused them to lose everything, power, wealth, land, the House itself almost extinguished. Am I talking about the Starks? No. I am referring to the House of Darry, the most tragic house in all the Seven Kingdoms.

The Darrys have always been Targaryen loyalists, and have always suffered for it. Two Darry lords died fighting for Rhaenyra in the Dance of the Dragons, one burnt to a crisp with his heir and keep by Aemond and Vhagar, the other slain by Lord Borros Baratheon at the Battle of the Kingsroad. In all the Blackfyre Rebellions, Darry remained loyal. It was Lord Darry who cut down the sign at the Clanking Dragon. Lord Deremond Darry, one of Darrys ten, died on the Bloody Meadow, presumably a battle in the Blackfyre Rebellions.

The War of the Usurper was devastating for the Darrys. They remained loyal to the Targaryens, forced to choose between their loyalties to the Tullys and the King. This must have been a terrible choice to make. The Darrys and the Tullys were close. The Blackfish had squired for Old Lord Darry, who must have been a great man to raise such a chivalrous and expert knight. But, ultimately, their loyalties to House Targaryen triumphed; they already had one knight in the Kingsguard and another as the master of arms for the Red Keep. On the Trident, the three eldest sons of House Darry fell, including Ser Jonothor of the Kingsguard. His brother Lord Raymun lived, with his lands, title, wealth and power stripped from him. Their other kinsman, Ser Willem, was forced into exile.

From the first few chapters of A Game of Thrones, I've loved the Darrys. We receive three early mentions of them. One is by Viserys, who lists them as one of the loyalist houses which are sure to rise for him. Interestingly, they are listed alongside the much more prominent, powerful houses of Tyrell and Redwyne. That must offer an insight into the depth of the Darrys loyalty towards House Targaryen. They are obviously still known as loyalists. When the Royal Party are staying at Castle Darry, tensions burn between the Lannisters, Darrys, and Starks. Ned notes that they are unwelcome guests. Really Ned? Your king killed three of his brothers on the Trident, stripped him of his title, stole his lands and gold, and greatly reduced his power. And you suspect that you're unwelcome? Well, who'd have thought it! I think it wonderfully noble and foolhardy that, even fifteen years into Roberts reign, the tapestries at Castle Darry display the Targaryen sympathies of the Darrys. For all that I dislike both Tyrion and Jaime, I admire them for not turning in Ser Raymun.

The other mention we get early on is from Daenerys, who mentions Ser Willem Darry as her early guardian and protector. He is later mentioned in Neds dream of the Tower of Joy by Ser Oswell Whent as a "good knight, and true". Ser Willem saved her and Viserys from Dragonstone just before Stannis could arrive and murder her and her family. To me, this makes him one of the stories most heroic and loyal characters. Rather than joining the garrison in selling out the last Targaryens, he launches a daring plan to rescue them. He sentenced himself to a life in exile, all to save the life of his rightful king and a baby girl. He always trained Prince Rhaegar himself in the ways of war.

Ser Willem certainly was busy during his period in exile, meeting with the Sealord of Braavos and Oberyn Martell to plan a restoration of Viserys to the throne. A great bear of a man, strong and fairly young, he dies of a mysterious wasting sickness. I personally suspect Varys and Illyrio poisoned him. As the premier Targaryen loyalist in exile, Ser Willem would have been a useful rallying point for those loyal to Viserys. With him dead, Viserys was forced to beg to stay alive, and lost all contact with other loyalists. Perhaps if Ser Willem had survived, he could have raised Viserys into a better man. It was all to the benefit of Illyrio and Varys that Ser Willem die. He was obviously a kind, loyal and gentle man, the only person Dany remembers with true affection and fondness.

For all the Targaryen loyalties of House Darry, they did not hesitate to fight for the Tullys and King Robert to defend the Riverlands against the Mountain. Ser Raymun was summoned to Riverrun, leaving his lands defenceless. The Darry hold of Wendish Town is torched by the Lannisters. Ser Raymun seems to hold no grudge agains Ned, even after fighting against him on the Trident. Joining Beric Dondarrion, Ser Raymun falls to the Mountain at the Battle of the Fords. Lord Lyman, the eight year new Lord Darry, arrives at Riverrun in time for the declaration of Robb as King in the North. He yells that he will never name a Lannister his king. Of course not! This is the House that caused the downfall of the Targaryens, the house of the man who broke his vows to murder Aerys. And yet... we do not see little Lord Darry rising to declare Robb King in the North.

When Lord Lyman returns to Darry, he is murdered by the Mountain, and his garrison slain. When the Northerners retake the Keep, they burn it.

The Darrys have one of the most tragic stories of any house. For their loyalties, both to the Targaryens and the Tullys, they are murdered, exiled, attainted. This is one of the most ancient and honourable houses in Westeros, and yet they have been wiped out in the male line. Their last two heirs, female, are married into the Freys. Their lands and keep have been granted to the Lannisters.

But the name Darry still has power. They are still remembered fondly by their small folk. And their is still hope; a bastard cousin remains, perhaps the son of Ser Willem. My greatest hope is that, when Daenerys returns to Westeros, she will remember the loyalty of the Darrys and legitimise this bastard cousin. There is almost no chance of the Darrys supporting Aegon; they fought for both the Blacks in the Dance and the Targaryens in the Blackfyre Rebellion. What remains of their House will support Daenerys, for better or for worse.

The fate of Starks pales to that of the Darrys; almost every Darry is dead. Their castle is destroyed. Their lands teem with outlaws. They are ill prepared for winter. Their loyalties and honour are forgotten by most. And yet, hope remains, so long as they remember their true loyalties.

Great post! Your words have moved me.

-Proud to be Faithful

Those are the words of House Stokeworth

Yeah, I know some of you openly mocked those House words for being lame, but I think they would suit House Darry perfectly.

And their is still hope; a bastard cousin remains, perhaps the son of Ser Willem. My greatest hope is that, when Daenerys returns to Westeros, she will remember the loyalty of the Darrys and legitimise this bastard cousin.

Same, this bastard must be legitimized at all costs, and the domains of House Darry expanded. I'm sure Barristan will remind Daenerys of this, he is someone who knows and appreciates loyalty.

Great post! Your words have moved me.

-Proud to be Faithful

Those are the words of House Stokeworth

Yeah, I know some of you openly mocked those House words for being lame, but I think they would suit House Darry perfectly.

Same, this bastard must be legitimized at all costs, and the domains of House Darry expanded. I'm sure Barristan will remind Daenerys of this, he is someone who knows and appreciates loyalty.

Thank you! I'm surprised that House Darry has no house words, even in a semi-canon setting; perhaps George is saving them for a big reveal? "Proud to be Faithful" is a perfect motto for them...

I hope Ser Barristan does... After all, Ser Jonothor was his sworn brother.

Yeah, I see no reason why a house like Darry would be so loyal to the Targaryens. What did the Targaryens did for them in 300 years?

Of course, in RR, they kind of had to be due to two potential hostages.

But if the little lord of Darry didn't declare for Robb and returned home because of it, well, then that move cost his head. If he didn't, he could have been safer in Riverrun.

Yeah, I see no reason why a house like Darry would be so loyal to the Targaryens. What did the Targaryens did for them in 300 years?

But if the little lord of Darry didn't declare for Robb and returned home because of it, well, then that move cost his head. If he didn't, he could have been safer in Riverrun.

Little Lord Lyman wanted to defend his small folk from the depredations of the Lannisters. I can think of no more noble motive to return to his lands.

Lesser deeds, for honorable folk, they probably got the small jobs among the Targs, serving loyally, seeing the honor in it, like squires and such.

I thought his retaking of his house had to do with Edmure's plan to retake the riverlands?

Lesser deeds, for honorable folk, they probably got the small jobs among the Targs, serving loyally, seeing the honor in it, like squires and such.

I thought his retaking of his house had to do with Edmure's plan to retake the riverlands?

The Riverlords asked Edmure leave to return to their lands to defend their small folk. It wasn't a plan for defence.

The Riverlords asked Edmure leave to return to their lands to defend their small folk. It wasn't a plan for defence.

I know it was not a official plan, but Edmure did bring it up to Robb, and such. sorry for wording.

Man, I totally forgot there was a bastard cousin. Anyone care to hunt up the specific quote where he was mentioned. I assumed House Darry would not be discontinued. The current occupants will probably be ousted, but I always figured either Tywin or Willem Frey would get or otherwise a supporter of Daenerys after she wins the Dance.

Man, I totally forgot there was a bastard cousin. Anyone care to hunt up the specific quote where he was mentioned. I assumed House Darry would not be discontinued. The current occupants will probably be ousted, but I always figured either Tywin or Willem Frey would get or otherwise a supporter of Daenerys after she wins the Dance.

According to their page chapter 65, clash, Sansa.

According to their page chapter 65, clash, Sansa.

"Joffrey awarded him (Lancel) the lands, castle, and rights of House Darry, whose last child lord had perished in the fighting in the Riverlands, "leaving no true born heirs of lawful Darry blood, but only a bastard cousin.""

I think the whole point of marrying Lancel to Amieri was that her mother was a Darry or somehow related to them, so their child would be the rightful heir to the house.

Mariya "grammar Nazi" Frey was born a Darry. Lancel was the rightful lord of Darry (according to the Iron Throne), but he was married off to Amerei to secure the support of the small folk.

Exactly and its not like they stuck to their own either, Targs are nothing to them. They are not First Men, they are not Riverlanders, so essentially they have taken an opposition side against their own multiple times.

Except for the War of the Usurper, the Tullys have supported the Targaryens as well. One could make the same argue for the Tullys supporting Robert; he's a Stormlander rebel, why support him against the rightful king?

Archived